MS Program before MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone,

I am about to start my gap year(s) before applying to medical school.

I have been considering applying to some MS programs that I am interested in. Either an MS in biology or bioinformatics.

While MD is my ultimate goal/desire, I feel like this would be a worthwhile pursuit because I’m interested in the fields and the contributions I may make, it would certainly add to my MD application, and it would be a backup if I don’t get into medical school.

What are people’s opinions on this idea?
How do admissions committees see getting an advanced degree before matriculating?
Do I mention the MS as a potential stepping-stone for medical school to MS admissions?

Let me know what y’all think! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be unpopular with a lot of people on here but I did a (non-SMP) bio masters and it worked for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this funded, or would you be taking on 50k+ in debt before even starting med school? Having a masters doesn't give an advantage over paid employment in a research setting, so if you'd be paying for all this with loans, you are much better off finding a year of work in a lab or as a clinical research coordinator

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it be unpopular? My only thought would be if people did the MS in-lieu of doing volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience, etc.

But I would hope to keep some of these activities up.

Hello again everyone,

I am about to start my gap year(s) before applying to medical school.

I have been considering applying to some MS programs that I am interested in. Either an MS in biology or bioinformatics.

While MD is my ultimate goal/desire, I feel like this would be a worthwhile pursuit because I’m interested in the fields and the contributions I may make, it would certainly add to my MD application, and it would be a backup if I don’t get into medical school.

What are people’s opinions on this idea?
How do admissions committees see getting an advanced degree before matriculating?
Do I mention the MS as a potential stepping-stone for medical school to MS admissions?

Let me know what y’all think! Thank you!
It's always good to have something to fall back on, but it won't make you a better candidate.

Why would it be unpopular? My only thought would be if people did the MS in-lieu of doing volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience, etc.

It's usually unpopular because of the often extreme expense and low impact it has in admissions. A gap year where you get paid to work in clinical research usually makes more sense.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah see goro's response and several others. Mine was all science classes but at a graduate level and I took a heavy courseload. I also gained research and clinical experience during this time as well as leadership, teaching, and work experience. And it funded itself through grants, teaching, and other work.

To answer the funding question, the MS in biology is more likely to be funded than the bioinformatics. If I were to pay for these out-of-pocket, looking at $25k-$35k. So I understand how cost is a factor.

As for the suggestions of applying to research positions — I have been. I have over two years of research experience and an independent thesis project, however I’ve never even gotten an email or phone call for the 12+ research positions I have applied for where I meet all or most of the requirements. I have also had phone interviews for scribe positions, but never an in-person interview. The paid experience seems to be few and far where I am. I am just at a loss as to how recent college graduates get these positions unless they have connections.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer the funding question, the MS in biology is more likely to be funded than the bioinformatics. If I were to pay for these out-of-pocket, looking at $25k-$35k. So I understand how cost is a factor.

As for the suggestions of applying to research positions — I have been. I have over two years of research experience and an independent thesis project, however I’ve never even gotten an email or phone call for the 12+ research positions I have applied for where I meet all or most of the requirements. I have also had phone interviews for scribe positions, but never an in-person interview. The paid experience seems to be few and far where I am. I am just at a loss as to how recent college graduates get these positions unless they have connections.
Does that include living expenses? If not, suppose you live cheap and only need 55k for the year. Compared to even a low salary of say 30-35k as a low level research position, you're looking at an overall expenses + opportunity cost of some 80k. And that's not even considering all the years of interest you'd have on the 55k, if that is coming from student loans. Hard to make any financial sense of it when you're already looking at the insane 200k+ debt that is typical for borrowers getting an MD.

You might be job hunting in the wrong way! Scribing in particular should not be a difficult job to find at all. Research positions are usually filled internally, not from rando people submitting their resume into online portals if that's where you've been looking. You'd want to go to your school career office, premed advising office, PIs you worked with in your two years and thesis, etc. Talk to them about how past premeds found work or what other resources they have.

So the aggregate of the information I’m getting is that Master’s should really only be pursued if I am interested in it as an end, not a means to end? And that is largely true because of cost and it prevents you from getting perhaps more worthwhile experiences?

If you just want the degree to pass time during your gap year(s), then I agree with the others that there’s no point.

On the other hand, if you’re actually interested in being a physician-scientist and combining one (or both) of those fields with practicing medicine, I see no reason not to learn more about those fields. Assuming you have no background in CS/engineering, then I can see you needing an MS to enter bioinformatics, although I’m not sure you’d really need one for general biology research - perhaps if you’re interested in a very specialized field?

With that being said, it would probably make more sense to apply to dual degree MD/MS programs (and/or schools that allow you to pursue a degree in another field concurrently or have “concentrations”). At the very least, you’d be saving one year of tuition and living expenses.

So the aggregate of the information I’m getting is that Master’s should really only be pursued if I am interested in it as an end, not a means to end? And that is largely true because of cost and it prevents you from getting perhaps more worthwhile experiences?
Pretty much. A master's makes sense if you're investing the money and time into it with the goal of using it to land a better/higher paying job afterwards than what you could find with a bachelor's. If you are instead planning to spend the next 7+ years in an unrelated professional training pathway it makes little sense. The only time to do it would be if 1) it was funded/covered by scholarship and 2) you preferred a year in a master's program to a year of employment elsewhere. Definitely don't spend 50k+ getting a masters it if your goal is just strengthening your research credentials on your medical school app. Go work in research or clinic instead.

On the other hand, if you’re actually interested in being a physician-scientist and combining one (or both) of those fields with practicing medicine, I see no reason not to learn more about those fields. (Assuming you have no background in CS/engineering, then I can see you needing an MS to enter bioinformatics, although I’m not sure you’d really need one for general biology research - perhaps if you’re interested in a very specialized field.)
Many med schools and even residencies will also offer their students/trainees the chance to get master's degrees without paying the tuition for it. For example at my school there are a bunch of fully funded MPH spots yearly for people that want to go learn useful research skills for a year between M3 and M4. Paying for a master's before applying is definitely not the way to do it!

Many med schools and even residencies will also offer their students/trainees the chance to get master's degrees without paying the tuition for it. For example at my school there are a bunch of fully funded MPH spots yearly for people that want to go learn useful research skills for a year between M3 and M4. Paying for a master's before applying is definitely not the way to do it!
That’s true; I’ve heard of residents earning an MPH, but I wasn’t aware that some schools also allow MS degrees to be pursued. If you’re not accepted to a school that offers a fully a funded research year (or stipends), discounts on tuition, or a full scholarship then you’re probably right that the degree could wait until residency.

Is this funded, or would you be taking on 50k+ in debt before even starting med school?

If your masters degree pays you for your services and you don't take any debt, go for it.

My chemistry masters waived my tuition and paid me an annual stipend which allowed me to attend without debt.

So I just met with the admissions director for my university's biology Master's program. The program is fully funded (aside from some nominal fees every term). I know that the program would offer a lot more meaningful research experience than what I got during my undergrad. Additionally, the funding is provided by teaching, which would also be a valuable EC for applications.

I'm thinking about applying for this and medical school concurrently. So I will be admitted and start during the medical school 2019-2020 application cycle. If I get in to medical school, great; if not, I have a fall back, either for a career or something to do until I can reapply.

With all of these being the case, is pursuing the degree still a poor/bad/unwise idea?