MS vs. MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femmefatale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a recent Bacc graduate and am thinking of applying to either a MS in epi or a MPH. But I was wondering whether MPH programs are usually looking for people with prior professional degrees (MD, DDS etc.) and Baccs don't really have a good chance of getting in to MPH programs. I've heard Baccs have better chances at getting into a MS of some sort (ie. epidemiology/biostats). Anyone know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent Bacc graduate and am thinking of applying to either a MS in epi or a MPH. But I was wondering whether MPH programs are usually looking for people with prior professional degrees (MD, DDS etc.) and Baccs don't really have a good chance of getting in to MPH programs. I've heard Baccs have better chances at getting into a MS of some sort (ie. epidemiology/biostats). Anyone know if this is true?

femme:

MPH programs' requirements really vary by school. At some schools (UCLA, Berkeley, Emory, UNC, Michigan) the MPH is the most commonly-awarded degree. At other schools, the MPH is really reserved for practitioners with extensive work experience or other professional degrees (Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, etc). At these schools, applicants coming straight out of undergrad or with minimal experience without a professional degree usually apply to their MS degree programs. You'll really need to look at individual schools and departments to distinguish those requirments.

For example, I graduated undergrad in '07 with a BS and I decided to work for a year before heading to grad school and med school. Considering I am not currently in an advanced degree program and have less than one year of fulltime, field-related work experience, I applied to:

Johns Hopkins - MHS
Harvard - SM
UNC - MPH
Washington - MPH
Michigan - MPH
Columbia - MPH [Columbia varies the most on work requirements for MPH, within departments AND concentrations]
Emory - MPH
UCLA - MPH
Berkeley - MPH
Pittsburgh - MPH
Yale - MPH

So, despite being a non-professional with pretty much no work experience or advanced degree, nearly every school I applied to I was considered for my MPH. It's obviously not black and white and my background, major, and research experience made my qualify for some degree programs that others wouldn't, etc.

I guess what will matter to you most is what you want to do with your degree. MS degrees - in general - are considered more research-oriented and are often pursued by those wanting to work in research or pursue their PhD. MPH is practiced-focused and, for many, is a terminal public health degree.

I will either pursue my MD or PhD but I'm getting my MPH - one can easily transition to a PhD program with a MPH and a MS/SM/MHS candidate can apply for practice-oriented jobs. Considering the research vs. practice focus, though, the curriculums can be very different.

I've never heard of a bias - negative or positive - for bacc students regarding MPH or MS degrees. I think what is most important is your general experience, post-school work experience, and meeting the pretty well delineated degree requirements set by each school and degree program.