MS0 Prep for the Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, let me clarify this. Gunning has nothing to do with competition, at least for me. It's all about absolutely maximizing my performance and pursuing what I want with abandon. Just absolutely, giving it everything you've got.

Some people are driven by competition, and that's okay as well. Whatever helps you to be the best you can be. Just don't lose yourself in it, I would say.

Being a "gunner" or "gunning people down" is about taking out "the competition" by feeding them misinformation or intentionally making them look bad. These are the people most hate. They usually work very hard too. It can make these terms confusing, especially when everyone is using "gunner" to refer to both the people that work hard and the people that sabotage. You can gun without being a gunner.

You hear the term so often because people like to use it to talk down on others that work harder than them. It's their insecurity talking. It's ego defense, as @Ho0v-man eloquently put it.

For example, the average med student nowadays would 100% call me a gunner because I started Zanki from day 1 of M1. Totally ridiculous. It's the most logical thing to do and I actually end up working less hard (in a way) because I'm spreading out the workload over the entirety of preclinicals instead of waiting until the second half of M2 to start studying for step. It takes dedication and discipline to keep doing it day in and day out, though. Am I now a gunner because you feel bad about not doing what I'm doing? No. Address your insecurity and focus on yourself.

Aha. I thought they were one in the same! I hope to reach my fullest potential and will be "gunning" to do so, without gunning people down. It sounds like you found a system that works well for you. Hopefully I will be able to quickly find my system once I start.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Aha. I thought they were one in the same! I hope to reach my fullest potential and will be "gunning" to do so, without gunning people down. It sounds like you found a system that works well for you. Hopefully I will be able to quickly find my system once I start.

For sure, feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Yeah, let me clarify this. Gunning has nothing to do with competition, at least for me. It's all about absolutely maximizing my performance and pursuing what I want with abandon. Just absolutely, giving it everything you've got.

Some people are driven by competition, and that's okay as well. Whatever helps you to be the best you can be. Just don't lose yourself in it, I would say.

Being a "gunner" or "gunning people down" is about taking out "the competition" by feeding them misinformation or intentionally making them look bad. These are the people most hate. They usually work very hard too. It can make these terms confusing, especially when everyone is using "gunner" to refer to both the people that work hard and the people that sabotage. You can gun without being a gunner.

You hear the term so often because people like to use it to talk down on others that work harder than them. It's their insecurity talking. It's ego defense, as @Ho0v-man eloquently put it.

For example, the average med student nowadays would 100% call me a gunner because I started Zanki from day 1 of M1. Totally ridiculous. It's the most logical thing to do and I actually end up working less hard (in a way) because I'm spreading out the workload over the entirety of preclinicals instead of waiting until the second half of M2 to start studying for step. It takes dedication and discipline to keep doing it day in and day out, though. Am I now a gunner because you feel bad about not doing what I'm doing? No. Address your insecurity and focus on yourself.
I like this post. I’ll only add that sometimes the workaholics just wont shut up about the material they’re studying, even if they aren’t trying to put others down/sabotage. This can still be really annoying and can make the imposter syndrome that we all struggle with to some degree worse. This behavior also gets labeled as “gunner” and really doesn’t help anyone. You’re all on this together. Everyone’s working hard and doesn’t need to feel even more inadequate under the weight of this mess.

TLDR; if a classmate asks you how your weekend went, talk about what you watched on Netflix and only vaguely reference studying “it was a big study weekend”. Don’t immediately delve into the differences between lead poisoning and sideroblastic anemia unless someone actually cares.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like this post. I’ll only add that sometimes the workaholics just wont shut up about the material they’re studying, even if they aren’t trying to put others down/sabotage. This can still be really annoying and can make the imposter syndrome that we all struggle with to some degree worse. This behavior also gets labeled as “gunner” and really doesn’t help anyone. You’re all on this together. Everyone’s working hard and doesn’t need to feel even more inadequate under the weight of this mess.

TLDR; if a classmate asks you how your weekend went, talk about what you watched on Netflix and only vaguely reference studying “it was a big study weekend”. Don’t immediately delve into the differences between lead poisoning and sideroblastic anemia unless someone actually cares.

Totally agree. Don't be annoying. You can gun hard without being annoying. And exactly, no one cares. If someone asks you to tell them how you study in detail, then have at it. Otherwise, keep it moving.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the acceptance, and kudos for the long term strategy. Many years ago I’d have strategized much the same. Now, some time later, to borrow from the Matrix, “why oh why didn’t I take the blue pill?” Think strongly about what the trajectory you’ve laid out above means for your career, hobbies, finances, social/personal life before making this sacrifice. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but choose wisely.