MS2 Marriage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are your thoughts?

• Congratulations! This will go great.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Congratulations! This is a bad idea.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Love is a lie dreamed up to sell hallmark cards.

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

Waldeinsamkeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My fiancee and I are finally in a place where we can get married. Yes, it would've been perfect to do this summer, but things didn't really work out. I am really excited about getting married, and I am planning on doing it after I take the step. Does anyone know the best way to schedule this so I can do amazing on Step 1, then go on a fantastic honeymoon with the one I love?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! How much time do you get for step 1? These things are take a lot of planning and you don't want to be caught dealing with a cake meltdown the day before the test. Best time is probably after graduation.

Reactions: 2 users
Friend of mine got married a couple of weeks after taking Step 1. Excellent student, far more studious and smart than I am. Didn't pass.

Not worth it. Wait, or just have a brief small ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone I know literally just did this. If your other half is willing to put a lot of work in, I don't see why it's not possible.

I was also engaged as an MS2. Step studying is a crap ton of work. I basically did no wedding planning during that time. I was able to schedule an easy rotation the month before and got married over winter break which was great for me

Reactions: 1 user
I know one classmate that did that and it seems to have worked out fine. Another option (though it'd be difficult now if you haven't already done any planning) is to do it over your MS2 winter break since you won't be doing hardcore Step studying yet.

Can your fiancee handle 100% of the planning? How much time does your school give you off?

I'd probably wait until 4th year.

It's selfish, but you need to literally drop everything else in life for those 4-5 weeks and just prepare for Step 1. I didn't even answer emails. Just step 1. That is it. That's your life.

Oh please.

Hello,

My fiancee and I are finally in a place where we can get married. Yes, it would've been perfect to do this summer, but things didn't really work out. I am really excited about getting married, and I am planning on doing it after I take the step. Does anyone know the best way to schedule this so I can do amazing on Step 1, then go on a fantastic honeymoon with the one I love?

I did this. I did fantastic on step 1. Frankly I didn't put in that much work during my dedicated study period because I'd already done more than most people in total by that point.

Make sure you put in the work early, and be clear with your spouse about when you're available. I worked on decisions on Sunday afternoons, and otherwise deferred all decisions to my fiancé.

It was stressful for both of us (more for the fiancé), but feasible.

It helps if you're marrying the type of person who packs for vacations earlier than most people plan a wedding.

Thank you all for your input. I think we are going to put it on hold. We both know it will be best for us if I do well on the exam in the long run, and the short run to I guess. We have just been engaged awhile, and really looking forward to getting married. Medical school and law school (her) have taught us both a bit about delayed gratification. *looks down and kicks rock*

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your input. I think we are going to put it on hold. We both know it will be best for us if I do well on the exam in the long run, and the short run to I guess. We have just been engaged awhile, and really looking forward to getting married. Medical school and law school (her) have taught us both a bit about delayed gratification. *looks down and kicks rock*

Would it be possible to get married over spring break (if both schools have one)? Another alternative would be to pick a weekend to get married in the spring (like a couple of months before Step 1) and then go on a delayed honeymoon after you take your exam. I do agree with the above advice that you probably shouldn't schedule your wedding during your dedicated study period or immediately after Step 1 because you need to be focused. You could also look at your school's MS3 curriculum and see if there are any breaks built in that might work for you and your fiancee. It sounds like you and your fiancee want to get married sooner rather than later and I think that you have lots of options to do that before graduation. FWIW I got engaged during MS2 and am getting married later this year. It was stressful at times but I did fine on Step 1 so no regrets here.

I know one classmate that did that and it seems to have worked out fine. Another option (though it'd be difficult now if you haven't already done any planning) is to do it over your MS2 winter break since you won't be doing hardcore Step studying yet.
This was going to be my suggestion. Spring break is another great idea if you get it. Do you already live together? If so, the adjustment after won't be as big. If not, then I wouldn't do it in the spring.

Just go to Las Vegas and have Elvis do the wedding.

I've seen too many of my own students get clobbered by wedding logistics right before Boards.

Hello,

Hello,

Congrats! I got married during MS2, however, I did it over holiday break. We had a short vacation together before I went back to class. I don't know what your grades are or what your study plan is and you may not know the last part either. If you take it early, you can go on a honeymoon. However, there's no promise that you can do that. You may need the entire time to study.

That being said, how much time do you get before rotations? Also, do you have any blocks between step and rotations? We had a transitions block so we couldn't really take off then either.

What I will say because I was planning on getting married after step is that you have to be okay with being totally hands off while you're studying. I don't know if you can do that or if your fiancée is okay with you doing that. You would literally have to just show up to the wedding if its right after step.

So I'm going to give you the advice that I was given.....do it during winter break. If you do it at the beginning, then you can take the rest of that time to have a honeymoon. If you don't, I wouldn't get married around step time. Your sole focus should be studying at that point.