MS3 looking for Urology advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cj1123

Reaction score
Hi all

I am an MS3 at a US state school and am interested in applying for Urology next year. Here's what I have so far:

Step1- 264
Research- All in urology: 1 first author manuscript, 1 first author review article, 2 first author posters (one presented at regional conference), 1 podium, 1 second author poster (was presented at AUA national). Currently working on a project with one of my home institution residents.

Grades- P/F first two years, don't count for anything
Clerkship so far (H/P/F)- H on Internal, P OB/GYN, P Family Med
Kind of frustrated about grades because I'm in the first class of a new curriculum and they've tried to make it extremely hard to get honors- evaluations no longer count for anything, grades are based off shelf and a clerkship exam. So despite getting really good evaluations and shelf scores, I haven't gotten honors on two so far.

Other things:
Had a year-long leadership position at our school's free clinic that was a big commitment
Certified for Spanish medical interpreting. Not sure if that will help.
Have a couple attendings and residents in my home department who know me really well and are rooting for me. One is a research mentor who said he'll fight hard for me.

A couple questions I have:

1. How much will already not having two honors hurt me? There's been talk about how so many more schools are doing pass/fail all the way through and lack of standardized clerkship grades making board scores more important. How much will not having good clerkship grades, or AOA, hurt my chance of matching given everything else I have on my application? I'm really open to going to any program, and don't have any illusion that I'll be competitive for the top programs. As you can tell, feeling really anxious about this.

2. Would it be best to do aways on opposite sides of the country in order to cast my net as wide as possible?

3. Would it be a good idea to delay Step2, given that my Step1 is ok?

Thanks you for any advice. You can PM me if that works better. I'm really committed to Urology but know that I shouldn't go for it if I don't end up being competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be very competitive. Do your best to get as many honors as you can, but that isn't going to hold you back given your other stats. I don't think you need to do aways on opposite sides of the country. Just focus on finding a few programs you are very interested in and go there. I would consider delaying step 2, as there really isn't any upside to taking it early in your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
As always, cpants nails it. I would focus on programs you're interested in and do aways there. With a strong performance, your letters will make up for any grade shortcomings.

Get to know people, work hard, be likable.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. You’ll match
2. If you want
3. Yes

...and at the last, we are all going to hold some balls :D