ms3 radiology ques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peroxidase

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Few questions:

1) eye strain? how bad is it, notice any problems with this?

2) no patient contact? does this bother you? its probably a plus right. do your work efficiently and get the heck out

3) whats a day like in residency vs. as an attending? hours for attendings?

4) rads vs ophtho - did any of you make that decision? or rads vs anything else? what were your deciding factors. rads versus path?? seem similar in terms of pt contact

5) do i need to take step 2 before i apply to nyc programs. 245 on step 1

just general questions get back to me when you get the chance
Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

i just want to say that i didnt notice any eye strain when i was on my rads rotations. however, i spent one day in neuropath during my neuro rotation and in 2 hours my eyes were so damn tired. i havent felt them that tired in a loonngg time. i dont know how they do it.

as for patient interaction, that is something everyone needs to decide for themselves i think.. some people need it, some people dont. going through 3rd yr of med school made me realize that i dont need patient interaction. i much prefer interacting with clinicians of different specialties where we can discuss the patient nd correlate the imaging findings with what is actually going on and exaplin to them what we see that they may not (i am amazed when clinicians call the rads reading rooms to ask a question before reading the report.)

The strain is not so much anterior to optic chiasm but on the visual cortex. You can see easily enough what's in front of you. But it's making sense of what you see that's strenuous.

Days are good. Can't complain. No matter how bad a day in radiology, still can't complain when you look at most other specialties. Good hours. Really steep learning curve. Bosses seem to live heavenly lifestyles and love to play cross words.

Did consider pathology for a while but radiology has much more computers and cutting edge technology which appeal more to me.

Not much patient contacts, which can be good or bad depends on individuals. Patients feel more "normal human" to me and I enjoy interacting with them, but not too much.

The lifestyle in pp is completely different than what you see in residency. The new treand is 24/7 coverage by the groups. The lifestyle is in the middle of medical specialties. You have to work nights, evenings, after hours and weekends. Also hours are long.

Eye strain is not an issue at all.

No patient contcat is a great advantage of radiology. If you miss it, don't do radiology.

Ophtho is a great field and is the true life style field. If you like it you are not going wrong.