MS4 not a full academic year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacytechguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If Match Day is mid March, is there "still school" after Match Day? Just wondering. What do medicals do (assuming they matched and are sticking with it) after Match Day until residency/internship begins in June/July???

Members don't see this ad.

Match Day is in March. Graduation usually around May, so you still have at least 2 rotations left.
4th year is pretty laid-back as it is (get to go home early etc) even more so after Match Day.

If Match Day is mid March, is there "still school" after Match Day? Just wondering. What do medicals do (assuming they matched and are sticking with it) after Match Day until residency/internship begins in June/July???

4th year usually begins in July and runs through graduation in May. You match in March, but that doesn't mean you vacation for 3 months. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
at my school, the first week or two of May is a transition to internship class, and then they graduate. March and April are normal rotations, but you can save your vacation months for then, if you want. I plan to take off in April and be done with med school at the end of March 2010, about two weeks after the match.

I took august off to study for boards and have a short vacation with my wife, but had I not, I would be done at the end of March also.

I've got vacation Nov, Jan, Mar. April is transfusion medicine/blood bank, and May I have preparing for internship (class reunion).

Some people at my school choose to take an easier elective than PFI in May, but it's a good opportunity to see friends.

at my school, the first week or two of May is a transition to internship class, and then they graduate. March and April are normal rotations, but you can save your vacation months for then, if you want. I plan to take off in April and be done with med school at the end of March 2010, about two weeks after the match.

Don't you need to use some of the vacation time for interviewing?

Not necessarily. You could, either during interview season or in the spring, take a couple of BS elective courses which might as well be off months. Wilderness Medicine and Review of Histology are two favorites at my school. Or not, as it's unlikely an attending is going to flunk you on a 4th year core for missing a couple of days for interviews provided you give notice.

Not necessarily. You could, either during interview season or in the spring, take a couple of BS elective courses which might as well be off months. Wilderness Medicine and Review of Histology are two favorites at my school. Or not, as it's unlikely an attending is going to flunk you on a 4th year core for missing a couple of days for interviews provided you give notice.

At my school, with our horrible way to get classes, it may be impossible. Some people in my class have their medically related sub-I in Dec/Jan, and they're only allowed 2 days off or they fail. I have my ambulatory medicine month in Dec. I'm allowed 3 days off or I fail. The lottery screwed me.

I'm so pumped about fourth year.

It's not a full academic year because if you don't actively try to screw things up you'll pass with flying colors.