MS4 roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Direct Laryngoscopy

Account on Hold
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whose applying? I'm in NY taking Step 2 late August. Anesthesia Sept and October. I wanna stay in NY but apply from NYC to Miami (mostly major cities). My electives include SICU, pulmonary and possibly cardiology.

Where are the rest of you guys and gals at? Who else is going full gas ahead?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
d-

I'm with ya, man. I am in the midst of a MICU rotation (later SICU rotation), plus cardio.

I'm at school in Long Island, and will apply mainly East, but have some thoughts of the big Western programs.

Good luck - hope I meet ya on the interview trail.

dc

I'll jump in too. I'm in Virginia and will be applying mainly to southern programs, with a few in the midwest/north.

Got one audition set up in October and trying to schedule another one in November/December. In the meantime, I'll be doing SICU and Cards.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
What rotations are u guys on while studying for Step2? Cush ones like FP, radiology, or are u guys going hardcore with SICU and the like?

Also, I did only a few pts above average on Step 1... should I take step2 early? Would like to match into NYC/metro-area programs..

i'm glad someone started this post.

i'm in upstate ny and am taking step 2 in a little more than a week... then it's adv anesthesia elective, then SICU sub-I.

i'm applying east coast and midwest (chicago, michigan, etc).

I'm studying for step 2 now on FP rotation...will take it next week and then do home rotation for anesthesia, then away for 4 weeks. SICU and cardiology later on. Prob will apply all over southeast and maybe into midwest.

Hi everybody!

I'm in OH, applying in the midwest and a few programs in the south. I'm on vacation this month, substance abuse elective next month/ studying for step 2, then anesthesia in September!

Hey guys. I'm in Houston. Studying for Step 2 currently on my surgical sub-I (its a really cush service.) I have STICU next, and anesthesia at home in September and anesthesia research in October. No away rotations except for an international rotation in April. Applying in Texas, and east and west coast schools and Chicago (isn't everybody?).

Where are you guys getting your letters from? I'm planning on getting one from medicine, and two anesthesia letters.

Did an anesthesia month at my home prog, and 1 away. 2 months of ICU coming up, then it's all gravy (radiology, reading elective, etc). Taking Step 2 in December.

Applying mostly West with a few of the East Coast, Southern, and Texas biggies thrown in.

My letters will be anesthesia, anesthesia, SICU, and surgery, with a medicine "chair LOR" for the prelims.

I'm in Wisconsin, doing my anesthesiology rotation right now and bemoaning the fact that it'll be the last time I get to do anesthesia until my CA-1 year! Next up is a Neurosurgery sub-I, then a couple of cushy months and Step II in November. I wasn't able to get an ICU month, unfortunately, but did get a month of anesthesia research later in the year.

I'll be mostly applying around the upper Midwest, maybe with a couple jaunts to the Northwest and Northeast. Letters will be two anesthesia and one from the medicine chair.

Looking forward to meeting some of you during interview season.

In San Antonio right now, will have my first Anesthesiology selective next month at Walter Reed, then ID and MICU aways after (no slots for students in Anesthesiology at my other choice in September). I will be applying to the two Army programs, and will get to know the results in less than five months. If they grant civilian deferrals, maybe I'll run into those of you looking to train in the South or NE.

Members don't see this ad :)
gimlet, where r u in wisconsin?

i'm curious about madison and milwaukee's programs.. haven't heard much about them...
any thoughts?

Airhead:

Freakin' awesome. I interviewed there for med school and liked it a great deal, but ended up at Stony Brook instead.

I am VERY interested in Rochester Anesthesia - any info about resident happiness or step cutoffs?

dc

I'm applying this cycle too...have a medicine month, SICU month, an away anesthesia month...then finishing out the year with some lighter-load electives (radiology, cardiology etc.).

I'm applying mostly on the east coast and west coast...and a couple of spots in between.

Good idea on the thread by the way...it'll be fun to see how the process goes for everyone.

beav

Last edited:
I am in TX, took step 2, doing 2 aways, in august and october. Doing ICU and cardio, will be done end of march!!! Will be applying anywhere where I can climb, kayak or water raft :D:D

Do you have a classmate from Medgar Evers college in brooklyn (nigerian dude MSTP)? Lost contact with him. hows he doing? Tell him to give the dude who graduated with him and went to med school in NYC give me a shout. He should still have my number.

Took comlex 2 in April, applying to any and everyplace. I'm hoping to stay on the west coast or land something in the midwest.

I made the decision to go into anesthesia late ... annoyingly late. I just finished an away that I snuck into and I'm hunting for more.

gimlet, where r u in wisconsin?

i'm curious about madison and milwaukee's programs.. haven't heard much about them...
any thoughts?

I'm at MCW in Milwaukee. It's a pretty big program with 20+ residents in each class, and they also keep several spots open to fill outside the match each year, so there are quite a few residents who have done partial residencies or even had careers in other fields of medicine prior to coming here.

You rotate through ORs at Froedtert Hospital, Children's Hospital of WI, and the VA, and can do elective heart months at a couple of local private hospitals, and you also spend time in the SICU and the MICU at Froedtert. Lectures are on Wednesday mornings and Friday morning is M&M type conferences and journal club meetings. I get the impression that it's a little more of a workhorse program than a lot of locations, but as a result you come out ready to hit the ground running after residency. Relatively few CRNAs. No problem getting any numbers for types of cases, although it can be tight for hearts. Plenty of trauma and TONS of peds experience here on very challenging cases. Tons of OB (volume and high-risk) at the local private "baby factory" hospital. The program has made regional a strong suit since they started the Regional Anesthesia/Acute Pain Service a few years ago, and have some great young regional attendings. From what I can tell it seems moderate for adult heart and lung transplants, but there are plenty of livers, lots of big vascular cases that will keep you busy, lots of neuro.

I can speak about Madison with the disclaimer that my info is from a resident who went to med school there, so it might be a few years out of date. It's a much smaller program than MCW (~8/year?). Great workload because they have 2nd shift CRNAs that will come get you out on time for afternoon lectures or to do your pre-ops. You get a few days of "home call" each month that are basically reading days, apparently. Harder to get your numbers for trauma and peds, although the latter may be changing d/t the new children's hospital opening recently. They send you to Northwestern to do some OB. That's about the extent of my knowledge on Madison's program. I went to college in Madison - it's a great liberal college city with plenty of outdoor and indoor activities available.

Last edited:
4th year from socal doin aways at ccf, miami, and UF, uc davis. what can i say...i get around. gona do some easy rotations all the way once auditions are out of the way.

dpoke-

You mean Yeku? He's REAL GOOD people. Real good. I don't ever see him anymore, because the MSTP is set so he hides in a lab for 4 years while the rest of our class continues on. But he's a great cat.

Zach- When you gonna be at CCF? I'm headed there in Oct.

dc

I'm at MCW in Milwaukee. It's a pretty big program with 20+ residents in each class, and they also keep several spots open to fill outside the match each year, so there are quite a few residents who have done partial residencies or even had careers in other fields of medicine prior to coming here.

You rotate through ORs at Froedtert Hospital, Children's Hospital of WI, and the VA, and can do elective heart months at a couple of local private hospitals, and you also spend time in the SICU and the MICU at Froedtert. Lectures are on Wednesday mornings and Friday morning is M&M type conferences and journal club meetings. I get the impression that it's a little more of a workhorse program than a lot of locations, but as a result you come out ready to hit the ground running after residency. Relatively few CRNAs. No problem getting any numbers for types of cases, although it can be tight for hearts. Plenty of trauma and TONS of peds experience here on very challenging cases. Tons of OB (volume and high-risk) at the local private "baby factory" hospital. The program has made regional a strong suit since they started the Regional Anesthesia/Acute Pain Service a few years ago, and have some great young regional attendings. From what I can tell it seems moderate for adult heart and lung transplants, but there are plenty of livers, lots of big vascular cases that will keep you busy, lots of neuro.

I can speak about Madison with the disclaimer that my info is from a resident who went to med school there, so it might be a few years out of date. It's a much smaller program than MCW (~8/year?). Great workload because they have 2nd shift CRNAs that will come get you out on time for afternoon lectures or to do your pre-ops. You get a few days of "home call" each month that are basically reading days, apparently. Harder to get your numbers for trauma and peds, although the latter may be changing d/t the new children's hospital opening recently. They send you to Northwestern to do some OB. That's about the extent of my knowledge on Madison's program. I went to college in Madison - it's a great liberal college city with plenty of outdoor and indoor activities available.

Thanks for the info- very helpful! i'm from WI and would love to move back someday, eventually...

Airhead:

Freakin' awesome. I interviewed there for med school and liked it a great deal, but ended up at Stony Brook instead.

I am VERY interested in Rochester Anesthesia - any info about resident happiness or step cutoffs?

dc

when i did an anesth elective this past year, all of the residents seemed very happy. the residency director is also great- very enthusiastic.

however, at the time of my elective, i was still convinced that i was going into surgery, so i didn't really ask a lot of questions that all of us care about now (schedule, coverage from the CRNAs, teaching). i'll definitely keep you updated- i start my adv anesth elective on monday (and it goes for 3 weeks).

I'm full gas ahead as well. I'll be applying in cali and in the south. I can't handle cold weather.

I am not going to be doing any away rotations...our administrators seem to advise against it. Perhaps they think I'm worse in person. :D

Count me in! I made the decision a couple of weeks ago and am currently working on ERAS. This was going to be my Step 2 study time, but I decided to push it back and strengthen the rest of my app. Besides, I didnt take any time off between the end of M3 and the beginning of M4 year, when I did my first Anesthesia elective.

Good luck to everybody! I look forward to seeing some of you at interviews! :luck:

MS4 in PA

Will be applying all over the place, mostly big cities. Good luck to everyone.
Just doing my ICU rotation now.

Good luck to everyone

MS4 in NYC. Applying in the NY area and in Socal.

take Step 2 on Friday, then MICU for 4 weeks and then 4 weeks audition rotation.

Wish me luck, look forward to meeting everyone on the trail.

MS4 at Nebraska. Doing gas at home in August, CCM in September, Boards in October, and gas again in November at Vanderbilt.

Planning to apply to Midwest and South schools mostly.

I am currently on the east coast and will be applying to both west and east coast programs. Already took both parts of Step 2, so that is one less thing to think about! Don't plan on doing any away rotations.

Last day of SICU tomorrow and then clin anesthesiology in August. Step 2CK in Sep and CS in October. No aways. Applying mid Atlantic and around the bend to Arizona.

Adding my name to the batch. Applying all over the place. Not much thought to it more than location and whether there are friends or family in the area. Trying to keep an open mind to all the programs...

I'm wondering, do we have to have all three letters in before they start sending out interviews? I've already done my 2 anesthesia electives at my home program and gotten 2 letters. i'm planning on doing an ER elective in Sept/Oct and want to get a letter from there.

And how does the prelim program work?

Hello, I am DO student, throwing my name in the pot.

Last edited:
bd,
im at ccf now and will be here until august 23rd. that will be 5 weeks in cleveland. pm me if u want some info about the area and if u have any questions about the general program. i've bugged a ton of residents and also met with the pd so i think i have a good understanding of the program.