ms4, too late for rad??

climbforlife

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
  1. Medical Student
    Need some advice!!! I am a fourth year, about to interview for anesthesiology programs. I have recently been drawn into radiology from a wonderful, brilliant and inspiring radiologist during my sub-I. I had never considered radiology before. I have very strong board scores (>240), solid grades, and lots of anesthesiology extra-curriculars, but no research and all of my letters point towards anesthesia. Would it be possible to match during my transition year through ERAS if I do decide that radiology is for me???? Or am I just screwed.

Pilot Doc

SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 7, 2002
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      climbforlife said:
      Need some advice!!! I am a fourth year, about to interview for anesthesiology programs. I have recently been drawn into radiology from a wonderful, brilliant and inspiring radiologist during my sub-I. I had never considered radiology before. I have very strong board scores (>240), solid grades, and lots of anesthesiology extra-curriculars, but no research and all of my letters point towards anesthesia. Would it be possible to match during my transition year through ERAS if I do decide that radiology is for me???? Or am I just screwed.

The rads folks can answer your question, but here's my take as a surgeon if they say you're just screwed.

Take a year off. Go do research at a big name rads program. Almost anyone will be happy to have you - attendings love to get eager beaver workers into their lab. Apply next year with the backing of your mentor. Interviewing around a lab schedule is _much_ easier than an intern schedule.

eyestar

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Nov 17, 2003
        its not too late. If you have good board scores, and US med school, I would suggest immediately getting a letter of recommendation from rad attending you work with it and ask the previous letter writers (non-anesthesia attendings) to change it to radiology. It shouldn't be hard since everyone knows that people change specialties all the time.
        You can still apply to rad this yr and not lose a yr by applying during your transitional yr.
        A friend of mine applied to neurosurgery, went for 10 interviews and decided in December that he did not like the programs that offered him interviews and suddenly became interested in radiology. He ended up matching for radiology at a community program after only 4 interviews last minute, but he was a strong candidate.
        good luck.

About the Ads

climbforlife

10+ Year Member
        Nov 2, 2005
        1. Medical Student
          sepsis said:
          Just keep an eye on program deadlines. Where are you thinking of applying? I'd still keep anesthesia as a backup! Good Luck!

I am gonna keep a few anesthesia, but feel bad taking spots from others who want them. I just sent out apps for rad, hopefully someone will give me a shot. Applied to 30 programs ALL over, west to east coast. I guess i will have to wait and see. Thanks for the input though..

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.