Msar And Canadian Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok if I go to a canadian school, which is accredited by LCME and in the MSAR book from the aamc website, am I still considered an IMG?

Is the level of education the same with accredited canadian schools as opposed to accredited U.S. schools? Afterall, the stats show that its easier to get into some of those accredited canadian schools.

Sorry I'm new to these concepts, but if someone can answer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

shaq786 said:
Ok if I go to a canadian school, which is accredited by LCME and in the MSAR book from the aamc website, am I still considered an IMG?

No, you will just be responsible for USMLE steps 1 and 2 like regular U.S. graduates if you wish to practice in the U.S..

shaq786 said:
Is the level of education the same with accredited canadian schools as opposed to accredited U.S. schools? Afterall, the stats show that its easier to get into some of those accredited canadian schools

They will not prepare you for the USMLE, but the training is comparable. As for admission - don't be mislead: it is much harder to gain admission to a Canadian medical school. There are fewer of them and their average GPA's are generally higher. For this reason, every year many Canadians choose to leave their homeland and enter U.S. medical schools. Most never make it back to Canada to practice.