MSAR In-state vs OOS numbers for private med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masnerj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Using the MSAR data, there are multiple statistics that can be viewed for any medical school: OOS Accepted, IS Accepted, Overall Accepted and Matriculated. My question is how to interpret the breakdown numbers for private medical school that don't upfront admit in-state bias. Can you trust any statistical differences as preference?

For example, Duke's overall accepted median numbers are 519/3.88. But when you look at the breakdown, there is a large difference between the IS numbers (514/3.79) and the OS numbers (slightly higher than the overall numbers). In addition, the interview rate seems to be much much higher for in-state applicants than out of state applicants. In this case, can one say that Duke provides a small preference for in-state applicants?

I have noticed a similar trend for various other private schools as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right about duke, and some private schools also display an in state preference. But I've seen many private schools that interview and admit OOS applicants with lower metrics. Can't think of any off the top of my head unfortunately.

You're right about duke, and some private schools also display an in state preference. But I've seen many private schools that interview and admit OOS applicants with lower metrics. Can't think of any off the top of my head unfortunately.

I think the some of the Cali privates are in that boat where in-state applicant have ridiculous statistics but OOS slightly lower.

Reactions: 1 user
Using the MSAR data, there are multiple statistics that can be viewed for any medical school: OOS Accepted, IS Accepted, Overall Accepted and Matriculated. My question is how to interpret the breakdown numbers for private medical school that don't upfront admit in-state bias. Can you trust any statistical differences as preference?

For example, Duke's overall accepted median numbers are 519/3.88. But when you look at the breakdown, there is a large difference between the IS numbers (514/3.79) and the OS numbers (slightly higher than the overall numbers). In addition, the interview rate seems to be much much higher for in-state applicants than out of state applicants. In this case, can one say that Duke provides a small preference for in-state applicants?

I have noticed a similar trend for various other private schools as well.
It's not an IS preference so much as a lot of talented people live in the state of NC, as well as CA, IL. TX, NY etc. It's natural for people to want to stay closer to home. This explains why my DO school nets a decent number of CA residents who have MD caliber stats...they'd rather stay on our side of the Missouri River, than go to, say, Drexel or NYMC.