MSAR Specialty Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shtumpa

Juggler
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the MSAR there is a tab "specialty choices" that list the specialties chosen by students by percentage. I am looking at the Einstein list [and other schools I've seen the same issue] and something does not seem to make sense:

1) The percentages add up to 58%. Are 42% of students choosing specialties not listed (e.g. Radiation Oncology, Urology, PRM, Otolaryngology, Ophtomology)?

[Specialties listed: IM, EM, Psych, Peds, FM, Diag Rad, Anesth, ObGyn, Ortho, Gen Surg]

2) The data does not match the graph listed on the Einstein website, e.g. IM is listed on MSAR as choice of 17% but on match list it is 29%. Perhaps MSAR is listing those CHOSEN by students but not necessarily matched. [A little misleading I would think? It does clearly say chosen not matched but I know when I looked at it I just assumed it meant matched. Maybe I'm just an idiot.].

Members don't see this ad.

Does it really matter either way?

Does it really matter either way?

Not really.

Someone told me I should attend Einstein over a state school if I want to keep my "options open" [meaning I would have more choice of specialties] so I was comparing them.

Einstein does get a lot of research funding, which is the main reason I am considering it.

Members don't see this ad :)
But once I saw those weird features of the lists I was curious. I like to understand things.

I think the specialty choice tab is wrong almost every time. I've looked at it for a few schools and it never seems to match what we get in our interview pamphlets or on the web site

If you wanna match derm, you better pick that school that places 2% into derm. The schools that only placed 1% are a joke.

Reactions: 1 users