Msar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlr8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying in the next cycle and was wondering if anyone found the MSAR very helpful in identifying which schools they were applying to. If not, how did you go about finding schools you applied to (other than your in-state schools)? Just to make sure, if I am applying next cycle (starting this upcoming summer) I should be buying the 08-09 MSAR correct?

Also, are there any other benefits from the MSAR besides seeing which schools you may be competitive at?

Members don't see this ad.

the msar is great because it gives you a ton of information on the application process - cost, dates, and information that you will wonder about as a neurotic pre-med. i think it is worth the $30 investment, and it IS a great tool to choose schools from. i liked using the msar as a starting point, and then visiting the schools website for more in-depth information. if you don't have the funds to purchase one, your undergrad career center may have one, or the library.

I didn't use mine all that much, but it was nice to have average stats for schools all in one place.

i would give you my old one if it was convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that the MSAR was helpful initially to get a general picture of schools, but ultimately the individual school's website was the most helpful. Instead of spending the $30 I would check to see if your school's prehealth office or academic advising center had a copy.

I think the MSAR is the best one-stop resource. It has a lot more information than just the index of schools. It's cheap and/or free (can be found at most libraries, at least medical libraries), but I think it's better to own. You can find more information on school websites, but you need to know which schools to look at, and the MSAR will give you a good overall picture to start at.

I think the MSAR is the best one-stop resource. It has a lot more information than just the index of schools. It's cheap and/or free (can be found at most libraries, at least medical libraries), but I think it's better to own. You can find more information on school websites, but you need to know which schools to look at, and the MSAR will give you a good overall picture to start at.

Agree. Buy a copy or get one of us (C/O 2012) to give you ours. Totally worth the $30. Also, I would get the $15 USNWR website dealie too. As far as I'm concerned, the more important something is, the more intel you should gather on it. Med school is pretty damn important to me so I was pretty much a friggin vacuum cleaner on medical school intel.

Plus, the MSAR is pretty friggin handy as a "desk reference" when you want to check up on something real quick like.

The MSAR helped me out a ton! Rather than searching on each individual schools web page I just flipped through the book and found everything I wanted. It literally saved my HOURS of time.