MSK book recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Nick Riviera

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people using as a good resource for primary care MSK. Would be open to either a good online option ora text. Have looked into Essentials of MSK, so if anyone could comment on differences between 4e and 5e, and the series in general vs. the Lippencott Primary Care Orthopedics, that would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What are you primarily looking for? Something that covers diagnosis and treatment or exam stuff?

If looking for great MSK exam reference the Malanga Physical Exam book is phenomenal. Netter’s Sports Medicine is a great resource and also has some more primary sports stuff rather than just MSK. McNabb’s injection book is great if you don’t have access or skill with ultrasound but still want to do injections.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are people using as a good resource for primary care MSK. Would be open to either a good online option ora text. Have looked into Essentials of MSK, so if anyone could comment on differences between 4e and 5e, and the series in general vs. the Lippencott Primary Care Orthopedics, that would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!
I like Netters concise orthopedic anatomy...its good point of care...great pictures and tables of pathology. It's the go-to in the FM residency I teach at.

Lippincott primary care orthopedics is the 6th grade version of Essentials. Although Essentials has a lot of white space on the pages, it is still a far better value than the Lippincott book in terms of content, scope, and appropriate audience. The Lippincott book is shorter and unfortunately has a very poor scope and level of detail. But if you need a book to finish in a shorter amount of time, it's more do-able.

How would these reading requirements vary for a FM doc who did a fellowship in Sports Med?
Would you just have to go straight to the In-depth Ortho books, because at that point your basal knowledge of MSK should be much higher, almost to the level of an orthopedist?

I used “fracture management for primary care” and “essentials of physical medicine and rehabilitation”

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I have the 5th Edition Essentials for musculoskeletal care. Great textbook and the gold standard, however in reality I use AAFP articles the most. Sometimes I'll use my Netter's Sports Medicine textbook as well.

Emergency Medicine Radiology by David Schwartz. The pictures are a little old but the content is excellent. MSK is a lot of imaging so it helps to know the MSK section of this book. Let me know if you want more MSK radiology books. X-ray, Ultrasound, MRI, etc.

www.radsconsult.com

Emergency Medicine Radiology by David Schwartz. The pictures are a little old but the content is excellent. MSK is a lot of imaging so it helps to know the MSK section of this book. Let me know if you want more MSK radiology books. X-ray, Ultrasound, MRI, etc.

www.radsconsult.com
I’d love to hear those suggestions. Esp MRI and US

In general, I think that you should look at your own imaging and you can get pretty good at it over time (especially with x-rays because you have the advantage of knowing exactly where the patient hurts). BUT, there is a reason that radiologists have a 6 year residency/fellowship. And to really learn that stuff, you need formal training. The books will show you classic imaging, but not subtle cases, which are the ones that will burn you and the radiologist. And you don't have unlimited time, so reading radiology books will diminish your skills in other areas.

Alright.

Good intro and best bang for your buck time-wise:
Amazon product

It has some basic MRI and CT in there too.

I don't recommend these because it's very radiology specific, but if you want to:

MRI:
Amazon product

Ultrasound:
Amazon product

Other books go even more in depth, but those two are the easiest reads.

Shameless self promotion here:
www.radsconsult.com

It’s a radiology-specific clinical decision support tool that is built to be used on mobile devices. Nearly every clinician orders imaging routinely throughout their practice, but there is no formal training on how or what to order, what the limitations are, or even what's available.
It answers every question from whether or not to give IV or Oral Contrast, to when to withhold/reverse anticoagulation meds and minimum required anticoagulation parameters prior to any radiology procedure, to what imaging study to order for over 1,000 searchable diagnoses and symptoms. It also has every type of radiology exam and interventional radiology procedure you can think of with the common indications of when one would order such an exam, including all the variations of each exam with and without IV and/or Oral contrast. It is evidence-based with ACR Appropriateness Criteria displayed when available next to each search.