MSKCC chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StanGetz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard from a friend of friend that Simon Powell, current chair from Wash U, is taking the MSKCC chair position, for what it's worth.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same thing. It's not official, but close to it.

Heard from a friend of friend that Simon Powell, current chair from Wash U, is taking the MSKCC chair position, for what it's worth.

... for what it's worth.

Any opinions on what this is worth (impact) towards the WashU program? Any reason to think this would negatively impact the training there over the next few years, for those of us looking at their program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Simon Powell will be leaving WashU to become chair at MSKCC in the spring; this was officially announced to the department last week. As he's a great clinician, scientist, and teacher, I know the residents will be sad to see him go but all think it's a great opportunity for him.

Expansion/technology plans for the department (second Tomo and Trilogy machines, Protons, Gamma Knife Perfexion-that's how they spell it for some reason) have not been delayed and will proceed as scheduled.

The changes to the residency program that Dr. Powell implemented upon his arrival (year of research for all residents, Holman pathway availability, some small conference changes) will remain in place.

See you soon!

I know its quite early, but are there any rumors floating around regarding the potential replacement?

just out of curiosity-- is MSK as good of a program as people make it out to be? seems like they are in a bit of dissarray given the fact that their last chair was indicted for insider trading and are currently in the process of getting a new chair. so things are gonna change there and maybe some faculty leave. but i guess they still have their name and are in the UES?

mskcc is NOT in disarray at present (maybe a few years ago when the whole fuks thing went down). they are as strong as ever...they publish a lot, have a ton of clinical volume, and rival mdacc/ucsf/stanford as being the top training program in the country (my opinion). just an fyi...every single pgy-3/4/5 resident presented at astro (oral or poster). the only area they are lacking in is basic research...and simon powell coming on board will only strengthen that (and the entire) program.

I know its quite early, but are there any rumors floating around regarding the potential replacement?

Not that they've told me about. I'm sure I'll answer that same question several times over in the coming weeks...

Does anyone know how many they are taking in the match this year?

2nd that question. why no website for the program? am i missing it?

also, is it true that they typically only match people with strong NY ties, or that rotated there? at this point am considering saving the $600 it would take to get my west coast a-- there, only to interview at a place i would be very unlikely to match.

Why is this always such a mystery???? You have to ask at every program you interview at when you get there. And then you hear about "well we have X number but I'm sure we'll be approved for another", yada, yada, yada. Is there some website (other than trying to guess off FREIDA from previous years) that straight out says this information?

***I apologize for going off topic on my semi-rant/inquiry. Please move this to interview chit-chat if you feel appropriate.***

It does seem mysterious, but it's not really. The ACGME peeps do their review for new spots in January-February. The approval for the spot can be in late February or March, and the institutional approval some time afterwards. Sometimes it happens all at once, sometimes you aren't certain until June. As far as "we'll be approved for sure", well that's straight-up nonsense. Nothing is 100% in medicine, right?

S

The number of spots offered by a certain program must be finalized with the NRMP by Jan 31, 2008, according to their website: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html

However, at that point in the game, knowing how many spots a program will have is not very helpful information (except it may make you feel more comfortable/uncomfortable about your chances of matching), because almost all decisions about where to interview will have been made by that point. But, I guess if you want to go to a program where you are not the only 1st year, it would be good information to know.

I think we will be able to see this list once we are able to fill out the Rank Order lists on the nrmp website (which starts Jan 15). Until then, there is no official word, from my understanding, except what you hear from talking to the program.

2nd that question. why no website for the program? am i missing it?

also, is it true that they typically only match people with strong NY ties, or that rotated there? at this point am considering saving the $600 it would take to get my west coast a-- there, only to interview at a place i would be very unlikely to match.

MSKCC usually takes 4 residents and I think it is the same this year. The current residents are from Yale, Harvard, UCSF, Hopkins, Columbia and Cornell. Last year's match list is posted on another thread as: Hopkins, Yale, Vanderbilt and Stanford. The program director is from UCSF and Stanford, so West coast is not a problem as long as you have the proper pedigree. Not much love at MSKCC unless you are from a prestigious med school.