MSKCC Summer Fellowship 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panda999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like anyone has made a thread yet for this year... Correct me if I'm wrong!

I just received my acceptance yesterday! I applied on a whim because it seems like a great program. But I don't know much about it other than what's provided on the website. Anyone who has done the fellowship have any thoughts on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats @Panda999! To make sure you applied for the medical student research fellowship program right? I applied and am still waiting.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied and waiting as well, congrats @ panda!

Reactions: 1 user
Heard back a while ago. Got a spontaneous time conflict with the program start date. Do you guys think I should reach out to the program and bring it up, or wait to learn who the PI is and talk to them directly? The website made a big deal about being 100% available during the program dates...

Haven't heard back yet. Congrats @PS2020 on the acceptance! I think this probably means a rejection for the rest of us

@Panda999 @PS2020 can you give some background on what makes you strong candidates? I'm hoping to apply next year.

As an FYI, rejection letters for this program went out on 3/1 last year. (My son got one, but snagged a research position at the Univ. Of Colorado Med center as a back-up.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied and am still waiting. I emailed them end of last week, and they said my application is complete and under review. I think the date when they notify you if you are accepted really varies based on what project you applied for- I applied for mostly lab/bench research- maybe the PI's are busy and still considering applicants, who knows. Also based on previous years, acceptances might be given out as late as mid February. I think it's still early to give up hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard back yet. Congrats @PS2020 on the acceptance! I think this probably means a rejection for the rest of us

Thank you! I wouldn't stress about receiving a rejection for now. Their acceptance email stated this: "In discussions with classmates who may have also applied to the Summer Fellowship Program, please remind them that acceptance is rolling. We will continue to contact applicants as sponsors inform us of their selections. All applicants will receive an application decision by March 10, 2017."

So anyone reading this thread should still stay positive. We got a whole month to go.

@Panda999 @PS2020 can you give some background on what makes you strong candidates? I'm hoping to apply next year.

I had prior research in oncology for a few years throughout undergrad and have a strong connection to the institution. I honestly don't know how competitive this MSKCC program is, I learned about it last minute. My understanding is that some projects can be very competitive (interesting derm stuff? rads?) while other projects are less competitive. They give you a list of projects with descriptions but they don't disclose who the PI's are (for good reason). I was a little torn between choosing what I thought would be a more popular project and one where I had zero prior exposure in, and a project which I thought was still interesting but I also had tangential experience in. I did a risk assessment and thought it would be safer to go with the latter option because I could make a stronger case for myself and convince the PI I would be a good fit. The website also kind of mentions how prior experience in that particular field is one of the things they look at.

I wish I had a better idea of the # of applicants they receive and the breakdown for each project. So my advice to you, be sincere, have a genuine interest in the work/oncology as a whole, and be strategic when choosing what to work on. Like I said, I imagine radonc and derm are very competitive.

Heard back a while ago. Got a spontaneous time conflict with the program start date. Do you guys think I should reach out to the program and bring it up, or wait to learn who the PI is and talk to them directly? The website made a big deal about being 100% available during the program dates...
Thank you! I wouldn't stress about receiving a rejection for now. Their acceptance email stated this: "In discussions with classmates who may have also applied to the Summer Fellowship Program, please remind them that acceptance is rolling. We will continue to contact applicants as sponsors inform us of their selections. All applicants will receive an application decision by March 10, 2017."

So anyone reading this thread should still stay positive. We got a whole month to go.

I had prior research in oncology for a few years throughout undergrad and have a strong connection to the institution. I honestly don't know how competitive this MSKCC program is, I learned about it last minute. My understanding is that some projects can be very competitive (interesting derm stuff? rads?) while other projects are less competitive. They give you a list of projects with descriptions but they don't disclose who the PI's are (for good reason). I was a little torn between choosing what I thought would be a more popular project and one where I had zero prior exposure in, and a project which I thought was still interesting but I also had tangential experience in. I did a risk assessment and thought it would be safer to go with the latter option because I could make a stronger case for myself and convince the PI I would be a good fit. The website also kind of mentions how prior experience in that particular field is one of the things they look at.

I wish I had a better idea of the # of applicants they receive and the breakdown for each project. So my advice to you, be sincere, have a genuine interest in the work/oncology as a whole, and be strategic when choosing what to work on. Like I said, I imagine radonc and derm are very competitive.

To kind of echo everything that @PS2020 said above, I would remain positive because they don't send out final decisions until March 10!

I, too, have had previous research experience in oncology and it's a field that I am very interested in pursuing. However, I have no strong connection to the institution. I think if you are sincerely interested in a career in oncology, or even just genuinely interested in learning more about it, let that shine through in your application. And pick something that you actually like over something competitive, what you think will get you published, etc.

Got my fingers crossed for everyone still waiting to hear back!

My suggestion would be to reach out to the program. In communications with them, they seem very responsive and friendly. If there is something they can do to work around the conflict, I'm sure they (the program and the PI) would appreciate knowing sooner rather than later (since I'm not sure when we'll be connected with our PIs). Hoping it works out for you!

I still haven't heard anything yet, crossing my fingers!

I applied and I still haven't heard back too. Any updates?

hi guys, I'm not an applicant for this year, but I'm hoping to be one for next year! Can you mention your stats/ECs? I'm curious about how competitive it is to get into this program. I'll be attending an osteopathic school (I will obviously work to be the best student I can be while I'm there), but I'm wondering if that would disqualify me from attaining the fellowship. I have a nature publication in conjunction with MSKCC (i'm one of the second authors, they are first) and a few years of experience with a couple publications, quite a few posters, and a patent to show for it. I've worked at two separate places where we have collaborated with different PIs from MSKCC, as well. Please let me know!! Thanks and congrats to you all!