MSKCC vs. Weill for away rotation in medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amic1283

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about to start fourth year, and am applying for medicine, potentially interested in heme-onc. I was wondering if anyone had any input on whether or not to do an away rotation at Sloan-Kettering vs. Weill. I originally applied to Sloan thinking it would be a great experience to do a Sub-I on a heme-onc floor. However, I talked to an intern at Weill who told me that the attendings at MSK are 'separate' from Weill, and residents come from all over nyc, so I wouldn't even be guaranteed to have a resident actually from weill. Now, I think I am close to getting a spot secured at MSK, but have not heard anything from Weill, and probably will not until another month at the very least, if not two, due to their processing schedule. I don't know if I should wait for Weill (and risk not getting it) or just take MSK???? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a reason why you're concerned that the residents at mskcc may not be from WMC? Otherwise, mskcc is arguably the best cancer center in the nation, with outstanding clinicians and researchers. Plus you can't beat the name recognition, if you're interested in heme/onc. I say go for mskcc!

I was in sloan the last month ( oncology sub-I). the pressure in the sub internship is huge, start at 7Am and finish at 7PM. regarding the residents being from other schools,I got amazing residents fro NYU,SUNY,and some from cornell and they were all good, I didn't notice a big difference

Members don't see this ad :)
i am kindof surprised that they do not let students work with Fellows too. The Fellows would be a great resource for learning in addition to the Attendings at MSK.

keaneintheblock: that sounds intense but was it a good experience? Did you do the sub-i to gain exposure in heme-onc, or more b/c you were interested in applying to cornell? I know it's the best place to be to introduce yourself to people there for fellowship in the future but my main concern now is getting into a great IM place that will help me with that. Did you find that you had enough interaction w/ residents/attendings from Cornell during your time there?? I am still waiting to hear back definitively about away rotations from both MSKCC and cornell so just thinking that IF i am lucky enough to get both, which one i should do.
The reason I was concerned about having Cornell residents is not for the teaching- I am sure all residents there are pretty great, but just b/c I wanted a contact with Cornell b/c I am applying there for IM.

Thanks!