MSPE and 4th year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingLear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should have graduated in May 2011, but due to some problems with Step 2 CK I will be finishing in December 2011. I applied for residencies last cycle but since I failed Step 2, I was pulled from the match by my school. At the time the Dean's Letter had been written with my 3rd year evaluations and grades.

Now I have completed all of my senior rotations and so I requested that the evaluations and grades I received on those senior blocks be included in my MSPE. However, the Dean/Student Affairs administrator is refusing to amend my previous MSPE to include this new information. I received some excellent evaluations during senior year, which I feel should enhance my application.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks she is being unreasonable by refusing to include the comments from my senior blocks. Since my situation is not the norm (graduating off-cycle), I'm not sure what is done at other schools.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At my school, our fourth year electives are just pass/fail, we dont get comments (not that i'm aware of anyway). Is this not the standard practice at most med schools?

At my school, our fourth year electives are just pass/fail, we dont get comments (not that i'm aware of anyway). Is this not the standard practice at most med schools?

Ours are pass fail too. When we do aways our school wants them to comment in this eval sheet but they are not used for the dean's letter or anything

I should have graduated in May 2011, but due to some problems with Step 2 CK I will be finishing in December 2011. I applied for residencies last cycle but since I failed Step 2, I was pulled from the match by my school. At the time the Dean's Letter had been written with my 3rd year evaluations and grades.

Now I have completed all of my senior rotations and so I requested that the evaluations and grades I received on those senior blocks be included in my MSPE. However, the Dean/Student Affairs administrator is refusing to amend my previous MSPE to include this new information. I received some excellent evaluations during senior year, which I feel should enhance my application.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks she is being unreasonable by refusing to include the comments from my senior blocks. Since my situation is not the norm (graduating off-cycle), I'm not sure what is done at other schools.

Any advice?

i'm applying after graduation as well. i was allowed to graduate in may 2011 but decided to in 2012 (didn't want to start res late in 2011 so i'm applying this yr while in an accel mph) but my official sep date will be when i finish with my step 2s (i already finished all my 4th yr rotations in 7/11 but have 2-cs in 1/12 unless i can move it up). i'm pretty sure that my mspe will include all my 3rd and 4th yr grades but i can c that maybe ur school thinks its more fair that u have all the same info on it as other ppl graduating during 4th yr at ur school and i don't think the mspe will make as much a diff as ur lors will.

maybe u can get lors from those senior electives where u did really well. there's no guarantee that those comments would make it into the mspe anyways since its a standardize format (mostly graphs how u did compared to others in the same classes/rotations, etc) but they can into ur lors.

and no, not all schools r pass/fail during 4th yr. my school had grades for all 4 yrs (H/HP/P/LP/F which is basically A-F) but i think that most, if not all do schools, do (do not use p/f).