MSTP 2004 matchlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
found this on their website:

Pathology University of Pennsylvania
Internal Medicine Brigham and Women's Hospital
Neurology Brigham/Harvard/MGH
Otorhinolaryngology University of Colorado
Medicine/Pediatrics University of Minnesota Hospitals
Obstetrics and Gynecology University of Michigan Hospitals
Internal Medicine Washington University
Internal Medicine Stanford
Psychiatry University of Michigan Hospitals
Pathology University of Michigan Hospitals

Members don't see this ad.

Here is Penn's. I didn't think it deserved its own thread, but maybe if more people have match lists I can change the topic and make this into a matchlist thread.

Anyhow, every Penn MD/PhD got their first choice this year.

pathology Harvard (MGH)
pathology Jefferson
peds CHOP
radiology Penn
pathology Harvard (Brigham & Women's)
ophtho Harvard (Mass Eye & Ear)
peds Vanderbilt
medicine Harvard (MGH)
medicine Johns Hopkins
plastic surgery Penn
pathology UCSF
radiology Harvard (MGH)
medicine Penn
surgery Harvard (MGH)

PS: I turned this into a general matchlists thread. My apologies to the op. In response to pathdr2b, pathology (esp neuropath) is strong at Penn. That makes me surprised nobody stayed here for path this year. Since pathology is a traditional MD/PhD specialty, the administration also likes to steer you in that direction. I think those two features turn into a strong showing in pathology here year after year.

Looks like path is a very popular choice at Penn. Maybe I'd better reconsider putting Penn back on my list.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
attached in an email sent by Dr. Engman.

Radiation Oncology
University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

Internal Medicine
Cedars-Sinai Hospital, Los Angeles

Ophthalmology
University of Wisconsin Hospitals

Internal Medicine
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Internal Medicine
Stanford University Medical Center

Pediatrics
University of Chicago Hospitals

Neurology
Mayo Clinic

Iowa:

Internal Medicine - UAB
Internal Medicine - Iowa
Family Practice - Broadlawns/Des Moines
Neurology - Stanford

Washington University:

Dermatology - Michigan
Dermatology - NYU
Dermatology - WashU
Pediatrics - Children's Boston
Pediatrics - Children's St. Louis
Pediatrics - UCSF
Internal Medicine - WashU
Internal Medicine - WashU
Psychiatry - Yale
Pathology - WashU
Surgery - WashU
Neurology - UCSF
Urology - Brigham
Radiation Oncology - WashU
Ophthalmology - UCLA

TriInstitutional:

Internal Medicine - NYP Cornell
Internal Medicine - NYP Columbia
Internal Medicine - Brigham
Internal Medicine - UCSF
Postdoc
Pediatrics - CNMC
Psychiatry - NYP Cornell
Psychiatry - NYP Columbia
Radiology - Penn
Pathology - NYP Cornell

UAB:

Dermatology - Michigan
Dermatology - Stanford
Neurology - UAB
Neurology - Cornell
Anesthesiology - UAB
Internal Medicine - UAB
Internal Medicine - Duke
Pediatrics - Vanderbilt
Surgery - OHSU

sounding more and more run of the mill - not the best way to differentiate programs - but 'triI: The Program' had 100% 1st choice matching as well [the graduating class also consisted of almost all married students who chose to stay in nyc for their spouse].

All the MSTP programs in the top 20 or so brag that they have a 100% first choice match rate. I dont think thats a very good way to differentiate among them.

Originally posted by MacGyver
All the MSTP programs in the top 20 or so brag that they have a 100% first choice match rate. I dont think thats a very good way to differentiate among them.

That's not true here. I didn't realize everyone boasted this, as I usually hear "virtually 100% get into one of their top 3 choices." We certainly don't match 100% to first choice every year, but it makes the director happy when it happens.

The graduates at UVa also matched to 100% of their top choices this year. The graduating class was 4 students, though the program has expanded to 8-10 per year.

Medicine - University of Virginia
Neurology - Johns Hopkins
Medicine - Beth Israel-Deaconess/Harvard
Pathology- Johns Hopkins

Emory
Neurology Emory U.
Pathology Emory U.
Pathology U. Penn.
Radiology Wash U./Barnes Jewish Hosp.

UT Southwestern
NIH/NCI - Pathology
Massachusetts General Hospital - Internal Medicine
UT Southwestern (Children's Hospital) - Pediatrics
UT Southwestern (Parkland) - Ob/Gyn
U Washington (Seattle) - Neurosurgery
Cincinnati Children's Hospital - Pediatrics
UT Southwestern (Parkland) - Radiology
Washington University (St. Louis) - Internal Medicine
UT Southwestern (Parkland) - Dermatology
UC San Francisco - Internal Medicine
Brigham & Women's Hospital - Internal Medicine
UC San Diego - Orthopedic Surgery
UT Southwestern (Parkland) - Pathology

Columbia:

Radiology: UCSF
Neurology: Harvard (MGH)
Dermatology: NYP - Columbia
Internal Medicine: Stanford
Post-Doc

(smallest class...most classes are 8-12)

UCSF's 2004 Matchlist:

Ophthalmology, UCLA

Medicine to Anesthesia, UCSF

Dermatology, UCSF

Pathology, UCSF

Ophthalmology, Hopkins

Surgery to Radiology, Wake Forest

Internal Medicine, UCSF

Internal Medicine, UCSF

Sorry, I was going to ask some questions, but I'll start a new thread. It's clear MD/PhD's do great in the match!

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor's MSTP Match list (I think everyone got their first choice):

Ophthalmology
-Bascom Palmer
-UCSF

Pathology
-Johns Hopkins

Urology
-Johns Hopkins

Medicine
-Johns Hopkins
-Duke

Neurosurgery
-UCSF
-Baylor x 2

Neurology
-Johns Hopkins

Radiation Oncology
-UT - MD Anderson

Dermatology
-Penn

Hi, All

Anyone have the MD/PhD match list for Miami?

Thanks,

tpf

fovea said:
Baylor's MSTP Match list (I think everyone got their first choice):

Ophthalmology
-Bascom Palmer
-UCSF

can somebody please tell me what bascom palmer is? industry?

It's the University of Miami. Just like MEEI(Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary) is really Harvard.

Mediculous said:
It's the University of Miami. Just like MEEI(Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary) is really Harvard.

thanks ("the message you have entered is too short. please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters" filler inserted here)

JPaikman said:
TriInstitutional:

Internal Medicine - NYP Columbia
Internal Medicine - Brigham
Internal Medicine - UCSF
Postdoc
Pediatrics - CNMC
Psychiatry - NYP Cornell
Radiology - Penn
Pathology - NYP Cornell

I like the # of IMs. Sometimes I wonder what the ramifications of MD/PhDs going into "harder" specialties is. But what's with the psychs?

For what it's worth:

NYU:
IM - Brigham
IM - Brigham
IM - UCSF
Rad Onc - Vandy
Optho - U Iowa
Psychiatry - MSSM
Anesthesiology - Brigham
Rad Diagnostic - Stony Brook
Rad Diagnostic - Einstein
Surgery - UMich
ENT - HMS
Derm - NYU

there's one more who has a medicine prelim in NY, but for some reason isn't on the second year match list.

Neuronix said:
What do you mean by "harder" specialties? Just curious.

i.e. the super competitive ones that require more time in clinic, generally result in more bling, and may or may not mean less bench

Does any one know the matchlist for Einstein?

Just wondering whether people usually go into a specialty related to their thesis topics...

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I think it will help you get the most competitive residencies if you have a solid publication record in your area of interest, but you're probably going to get a good residency anyways. Besides, for the not-so-competitive ones (ya know, the ones we're supposed to be in like peds, IM, or path), it doesn't matter.

Pick based on what you're interested in and what lab fits you. You can figure out what specialty you want later. You're not closing anything off yet.

About how many MD/PhDs actually graduate on average from each school, and about what % of them who graduate do a residency?

cbc said:
About how many MD/PhDs actually graduate on average from each school, and about what % of them who graduate do a residency?

I used to have statistics about the percentage of MD/PhDs that graduate, but I can't seem to dig them up. In the past, graduation rates have been as low as 50%. There were several reasons for this, that have been somewhat remedied as time progressed. Some reasons include better funding today, better program integration, and increased recognition of the MD/PhD degree. I'm going to wildly guess that graduation rates are up over 90% now, but others are free to find some real statitistics. I'm certain that the various cheerleaders will come out of the woodwork to say how happy students are at their particular school so dropping out there is very rare.

Edit: Here's an old (1981) abstract. I've been unable to find much else: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=7219472

The attrition rate in non-federal M.D.-Ph.D. programs has been shown to be 44 per cent, and that from the MSTP, 9 per cent.

As for what percentage who graduate do a residency, try this study: http://www.aamc.org/research/dbr/mdphd/bsullivan_residencychoices.pdf

It indicates that only a small percentage of MSTP funded graduates go straight to post-doc (~4%). It also indicates that recently 0% of non-MSTP MD/PhD graduates have gone straight to post-doc among their study population.

If you're talking about % of MSTP matriculants at year 1 who actually finish both PhD and MD after 6+ years, the issue has more to do with PhD than MD. The attrition rate has been a topic of national MSTP concern, and I believe it is around 20-25% nationally. People drop out for different reasons, but I think most "drop-outs" do finish the MD. I know that Penn has a project following MSTP students from their own and a few other programs. Maybe someone from Penn can find the latest numbers and share with the rest of us.

20-25% attrition from MSTPs sounds high to me. Bert Shapiro, the guy at the NIH responsible for MSTP, told me that 15% was an acceptable rate. I would think that 25% would lead to some problems with the NIH, resulting in a loss or reduction in funding. The program I am affiliated with has an attrition rate of 6%. Two other programs have told me that their rate is similar.

Given that all such reported numbers are retrospective in nature and most programs are forced to make active effort to reduce the attrition rate, such statistics are only meaningful when we know whether it's 15% over 10 years (which, mind you, only cover a few classes of MSTP students since attrition rate could be quite meaningless in years 1 and 2) or an average of yearly attrition rates among other pertinent information. I remember seeing a project from Penn at the Aspen meeting detailing this statistics more objectively than the self-reported numbers, and I would reiterate the importance of getting the actual data here.

So only 4% of MD/PhD actually do a residency??? Wow...

So that was my original question, how many do a residency? I know several MD/PhDs actually have no interest in doing residency at all, but wish to work for an industry after graduation.

Neuronix said:
No, 4% of MSTP funded MD/PhDs do a post-doc. The rest do a residency.

So, someone actually paid attention to my poster...

The Penn study is done and has yielded a lot of interesting results about CURRENT students at Penn including the fact that many students have considered or are considering leaving the program. This rate increases cummulatively as you look at students further along in the program. However, it is just conjecture but the vast majority of those who consider leaving don't. I say conjecture because those data are not available. Most program directors (including Penn's) are not willing to publicize actual attrition rates yet (so don't bother asking...for now). Anecdotally, anywhere from 10 to 25% was the norm for the 8 years I was at Penn. (By the way 6% as the norm??? What program do you go to? If you have 10 per year and one drops out that's already 10%.) The data from the Penn study are forthcoming in Academic Medicine and Clinical Orthopaedics (comparison of surgical versus nonsurgical students) within the next few months.

A national version was also administered. Some of you many have gotten my annoying emails already. The study is complete and the data are now being analyzed and should hopefully get out in about a year. It wasn't a randomized sample (too hard to gather everyone's contact info) but targeted about a quarter of all md-phd students. (Although, I'm disappointed in many of you--less than 60% response rate because you were "too busy" or had "no interest." We're supposed to be the most academic of populations! For those of you who filled out the survey, thanks.)

In any case, PM me if you have specific questions. But I can't post any unpublished numbers on a public forum. I'm trying to convince one of my collaborating students to present at this year's national student mtg so you may see some of the data there.

And finally, here's me on my soap box:
DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY TRAVEL DOWN THE PATH LAID BEFORE YOU BY YOUR PREDECESSORS. THEY SAY ACADEMICS IS DYING OR ALREADY DEAD IN MANY SUBSPECIALTIES OF MEDICINE (ortho being one). THESE ARE THE DECLARATIONS (or rather lamentations, imho) OF THE MISTAKES OF THE GENERATION BEFORE US. ONLY WE CAN (should?) CHANGE THAT.

I'll shut up now and get back to reading about ankle fractures and annoy a few patients with some middle of the night neuro checks.

- FunnyBones, The Farm 94, Penn MD-PhD 03, bone doc to be 08
aka Jaimo, look me up and get in touch if you're at Penn or intersted in those "harder" specialties (a la newquagmire) esp surgical ones.

I'm glad to see that my hallucination wasn't too bad in coming up with the 20-25% number. That just seems much more reasonable than 6%.

Funnybones: when you or others do the statistics, do you include those who apply and get into the PhD part after MS1 and MS2? It seems that including those in the overall number may compensate for those admitted directly into MSTP prior to MS1 who subsequently drop out.

Care about residency, anyone?

Few more:

Harvard (2004)

Opthalmology | Baylor
Dermatology | UMass
Dermatology | UCDavis
Radiation Oncology | Jefferson
Internal Medicine | MGH
Internal Medicine | UPenn
Internal Medicine | Brigham
Neurology | Harvard Combined
Psychiatry | NYP Columbia