MSTP after a graduate degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro_phd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student, in my final year of a Ph.D in neurophysiology. I got interested in neuroscience and am trying to do get into MD/PhD program. I have a bachelors degree in engineering. Any pointers, advise will be more than helpful.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe he's institutionalized? :laugh:

MSTP + residency is at a bare minimum 10 years...most likely 11-12 before one can really start a career. OP, why not just go for medical training?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the Neuronix and Dallenoff. You have provided no rationale as to why you would want a 2nd PhD. Given your status as an international student, I would be highly suspicious that you are trying to use the MSTP merely to get a free ride through a US med school. Unless, of course, you can provide a supremely compelling reason to the contrary . . .

Gfunk6 said:
I agree with the Neuronix and Dallenoff. You have provided no rationale as to why you would want a 2nd PhD. Given your status as an international student, I would be highly suspicious that you are trying to use the MSTP merely to get a free ride through a US med school. Unless, of course, you can provide a supremely compelling reason to the contrary . . .
of course, I have a supremely compelling reason: I GOT interested in clincal neuroscience. And I don't blame anyone for being suspicious.. everyone is entitled to have their own paranoid ideas however STUPID they may be

neuro_phd said:
of course, I have a supremely compelling reason: I GOT interested in clincal neuroscience. And I don't blame anyone for being suspicious.. everyone is entitled to have their own paranoid ideas however STUPID they may be

If it's any consolation, my former boss and 2 other students (both international applicants) with PhD's went back for MD/PhD's.

neuro_phd said:
of course, I have a supremely compelling reason: I GOT interested in clincal neuroscience.

the PhD is a basic science degree. If you want to be a clinical neuroscientist, go to a MD program. If you want to be a basic scientist, you have what you need (a PhD) to do that now.

Neuronix said:
the PhD is a basic science degree. If you want to be a clinical neuroscientist, go to a MD program. If you want to be a basic scientist, you have what you need (a PhD) to do that now.

Mmmmmm....transgenic chicken.

General Tso's transgenic chicken.
Transgenic chicken marsala.

Mmmmmm.
:D

Fermata said:
Mmmmmm....transgenic chicken.

General Tso's transgenic chicken.
Transgenic chicken marsala.

Mmmmmm.
:D

Thanks now I'm hungry and undecided bewteen Chinese or Indian tonight for dinner! :laugh:

Chicken marsala is Italian, but yeah -- I could go for Chinese or Indian, too. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to go with non-GMO leftovers tonight.

The person is asking for some help, not criticism. As far as suspicion of his motives and funding, for shame. People could say that about anyone in an MD/PhD program and plenty of people do exactly that, take the money and run. As for the chatter, one should be careful to draw a distinction between an MSTP, which has strict citizenship/resident alien status requirements, and any of the other combined programs at other schools, which have a wide spectrum of funding situations. After finishing a PhD, I sure wouldn't want to do the work for another. What must be realized is that a PhD in the US is the most respected in the world, a change from our undergraduate system. IN Belgium a PhD is only like 2 years. I am sorry I can't offer any specific advise, but if you want another PhD, I say go for it.

neuro_phd said:
everyone is entitled to have their own paranoid ideas however STUPID they may be

So let me get this straight . . . you come to this forum, soliciting advice. And, after it is given, insult it.

RRRRRRRRight . . . :rolleyes:

Oh, I guess I didn't write what you want to read. OK, please allow me to re-phrase.

neuro_phD, your idea is an absolutely wonderful one. I mean, getting a PhD in neuroscience AFTER getting one in neurophysiology is so earth-shatteringly profound, that I can barely contain myself. Of course you absolutely NEED the PhD to do "clinical neuroscience" as you so brilliantly put it. But please don't tell that to practicing academic neurologists and neurosurgeons, (whispers) they think they can do research, even basic research :) without a PhD.

But you and I know better right?

I know you must be independently wealthy, meaning that you could easily pay the ~$50,000 it requires to attend and live near a private medical school. But you want the AMERICAN taxpayers to pick up the tab for your education because it's such a tremendous investment. I mean, :laugh: , come on, it's not like you would (oh, I don't know) finish a PhD and decide to do something else?

Good luck!

My goodness, you'd think some people go into medicine to actually hurt people from the last thread.

I thumbed through and perhaps you have seen this link but if not that is the best I can do.

I'd check out: intransit.us

Neuronix, where can I get the half-off sushi of which you mentioned?!!?

Dodohead said:
Neuronix, where can I get the half-off sushi of which you mentioned?!!?

Ajia restaurant, something like 31st and Walnut (definately on Walnut) in the "Left Bank" complex. The special is on until the end of this month, excluding Sundays. Not the greatest sushi, but not bad for the 1/2 price!