MSTP=nearly impossible acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizzdogg

keeper of the three lions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey hard-core mudphudders,
A similar question was posed the other day, but didn't get much of a response. So I'm taking another shot at it. For you MSTP applicants, do you know how competitive the programs are? I know the obvious answer to my question is "very competitive." So I'm looking for a relatively quantitative answer in terms of number of applicants per interview, number of interviews per acceptance, and number of acceptances per actual MSTP slot. And again, i realize that this varies by school, but any general estimates you could give me would be appreciated. This information is very difficult to find. Thanks- Gizz

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not an mstp applicant. but i can say that if you don't have the right numbers, then nearly impossible. if you have the right numbers (at least 32 mcat in most cases) with an above average gpa (at least 3.7 in most cases) then you're competitive enough to get into at least one school. if your gpa is from an excellent school your chances are even better. other things like research success count a lot also. but when you have all that, then your chances are OK. if you don't, you're not doing too good.

IMHO, MSTP is easier then regular admissions to get in if you have weaker numbers then normal because the main thing that they care about is your dedication to research/ research experience. I know that many MSTP programs, the phD program will call the MD program and push for applicants that might normally not be competetive enough (number wise) because they are impressed with their research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would refer you to the chapter on "Admissions Requirements/Criteria" in the MD/PhD guidebook that can be found at:
<a href="http://go.to/mdphd" target="_blank">http://go.to/mdphd</a>

(Yes, I know it's a shameless plug...) :p

By the way, MSTPs are much harder to get into than MD-only. The average GPA, MCATs, etc are higher and they require a great deal of research experience with an ability to communicate scientifically. In addition, the look for other extracurricular activities and outside interests. Furthermore, there are a VERY limited number of spots available (average of ~10 per school) and your fellow applicants are AMAZING. Finally, medical schools look for more than numbers--I know many people who had numbers below the average, but they balanced this via strengths in other areas (i.e. life experience, extracurricular activities, recommendations, etc). I can't see how one can say that it is easier to get into MSTP than regular MD admissions.

I have to totally disagree with what CKent wrote about it being easier to get into MD/PhD programs.
That is absolutely untrue. If you check the stats at any MSTP school, you will find that the numbers for those applicants exceed the average MD applicant. Each slot is fully funded. I can't see how any one could believe it's easier to obtain admission to these programs. Somehow I think there is a perception that there are not enough people who consider this route, but that is also untrue. Any MSTP program with 15 slots would interview near 100 students for those 15 slots. It's very competitive. These candidates have more proven research abilities than the average pre-med, who may or may not have conducted or published research as an undergrad.
Obtaining admission to med school is difficult, but the entire interview process for the MD/PhD applicant is far more demanding overall.

I apologize if what I said was incorrect but I was going by situations that I knew to be true at 2 different schools:
1. Boston University: Their MD/PhD is not fully funded, but it is easier to get into then the regular MD program because they have trouble attracting MD/PhD applicants. They have a problem of people apply and getting into the MD/PhD program, then dropping out during their 1st year (this, of course, makes the administration upset). The reasons that I have heard that people do this is because it is easier to get into their MD/PhD program then MD alone.
2. Washington University: Heard from a student who was MD/PhD with a 3.65/ MCAT 30, couldn't get in anywhere else, got into Wash U (very numbers oriented) on account of her research. An adcom came and told us while I was an undergrad there that oftentimes, the phD program will make phone calls to the med school adcom and push for students that they like even though the MD program would normally not consider them.

nice quotables.

i think that washu is the most competitive md/phd program out there..definitely top 3 at least. so this guy you heard of, he must have cured the common cold, cured cancer, or discovered "Longitude."

Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•nice quotables.

i think that washu is the most competitive md/phd program out there..definitely top 3 at least. so this guy you heard of, he must have cured the common cold, cured cancer, or discovered "Longitude."•••

Hey Caveman,
I think "he" was actually a "she" according to CKent's reply. :) Remember, WashU also has more spots available than any other MSTP. While it tends to be very numbers oriented, not everyone has out-of-this-world MCATs, etc. Like I said, it's really the whole package that committees look at when deciding who to offer admission.