MSTP Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosopherdoc

Mixed up medical student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How good of a stipend can one expect from an MSTP program. I'm just curious what the many different programs offer, and if it covers all 8 years or just some of them.

Members don't see this ad.

MSTP as used by most members of this forum means the Medical Scientist Training Program as specified by the NIGMS. All of these programs provide stipends for all 8 years ranging from roughly 19k to 27k and full tuition and fee waiver.

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/Mechanisms/NRSA/InstPredoc/PredocInst-MSTP.htm

Now your custom user title above your avatar says you are a future DO student. For that reason I want to make you aware that there are no MSTP DO/PhDs and there are no DO/PhD programs that advertise full funding in this way. For the vast majority of the DO/PhD programs you must pay all of medical school yourself and you are only given a stipend during your PhD years. The other possibility are the non-MSTP MD/PhD programs, many of which provide full funding, but this is on a school by school basis.

The stipends vary but are usually on the low end of the $20,000s and up depending on the funding of the program and the cost of living. I'm getting $23,500 at the moment, and where I am that offers a pretty good lifestyle.