MSTP wailist dynamics

Started by mstpee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mstpee

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering, how likely is it to get accepted from the waitlist for an MSTP? I know for MD programs there is often a good amount of waitlist movement, but MSTP programs are often much smaller so I was wondering if it is actually likely to be accepted off the waitlist or if programs just waitlist people as a courtesy instead of rejection.
 
my impression is that there is more movement at the MSTPs than at the MD programs; MSTPs have small programs, those accepted typically hold several acceptances, so it moves more (percentage-wise) per each person who declines (as people decide where they will attend). Of note, I don't have any real data to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt (though I imagine a quick gander at AAMC tables would suffice to answer your question, both in terms of percentage difference and absolute numbers/applicants)
 
Like most things, this is variable.

Many schools will not release waitlist numbers to MD/PhD applicants because there is no reliable way to interpret them. You could be #1 on the waitlist, but that doesn't matter if everyone is keeping their acceptance. Alternately, you could be #10-20 and get in if most people decide they would rather train at another program. I'm sure program directors and some administrators have this data, but most students/applicants are very much in the dark.

To add more complexity, some schools require that applicants be accepted to both the MD/Phd and MD programs independently which may mean that the entire list gets held up if a prime MD/PhD candidate is stuck on the MD waitlist. I think this is becoming less common, but it happened to 2 of my classmates and myself during our application cycle and it was exactly as frustrating as it sounds. I actually accepted an MD-only spot so that I wouldn't be locked into another MD/PhD program with a June 1st start date. Ultimately it worked and I got into my first choice school at the end of June, but it was still a headache.
 
Like most things, this is variable.

Many schools will not release waitlist numbers to MD/PhD applicants because there is no reliable way to interpret them. You could be #1 on the waitlist, but that doesn't matter if everyone is keeping their acceptance. Alternately, you could be #10-20 and get in if most people decide they would rather train at another program. I'm sure program directors and some administrators have this data, but most students/applicants are very much in the dark.

To add more complexity, some schools require that applicants be accepted to both the MD/Phd and MD programs independently which may mean that the entire list gets held up if a prime MD/PhD candidate is stuck on the MD waitlist. I think this is becoming less common, but it happened to 2 of my classmates and myself during our application cycle and it was exactly as frustrating as it sounds. I actually accepted an MD-only spot so that I wouldn't be locked into another MD/PhD program with a June 1st start date. Ultimately it worked and I got into my first choice school at the end of June, but it was still a headache.


It seems to be a systemic problem, since you and others often find out their (final) fates so late in the game. Boo.