MSU accreditation problem vs LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawksandPups

Reaction score
Accepted to LECOM-B; trying to decide if it is worth interviewing at MSU.
Originally a no-brainer! I was really excited to receive the invite. When I went to look up if MSU has an exceptional accreditation, I was dismayed to find they are in the same boat as LMU-DCOM and under “heightened monitoring” for deficiencies in the areas of interprofessional education and Application of osteopathic principles. Those seem fairly significant fields and the school isn’t set to be re-evaluated until 2022.

I don’t want to close any doors on my options moving forward, but is MSU so much better than LECOM that it is worth the risk of losing two years of work if they lose accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

Interprofessional education is easily fixable. It's literally having their students do some activities with other healthcare students (Nursing, Pharmacy ect...). This is not significant at all.

Application of Osteopathic principles isn't hard to fixed either. A change in their curriculum and boom problem fixed.

Both of these are probably already fixed and no longer pose any problem for their accreditation as we speak.

These are very different from the problems that LMU faces which are much more concerning and significant.

MSU is without a doubt one of the best DO schools in the country. You should go to the interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Under no circumstances should you choose LECOM-B over MSU.

I got into both. I know MSU has a much better reputation, and money isn’t an issue since I will be HPSP. Can you give some insights that will ease my mind about disappointing my family (1-2 hrs from LECOM) and choosing MSU?

thanks for the feedback either way!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into both. I know MSU has a much better reputation, and money isn’t an issue since I will be HPSP. Can you give some insights that will ease my mind about disappointing my family (1-2 hrs from LECOM) and choosing MSU?

Since you're HPSP you'll be doing a military residency so it might not matter as much. MSU's big benefit is it's robust amount of GME

Since when does MSU have a better reputation? Haven't you heard of Larry nasser?