MSU-CHM vs Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastdude400

Italian Plumber
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after countless months of checking my email 5000 times a day and praying I get a phonecall from an unknown #, MSU-CHM and Wayne State both accepted me within 5 days of each other this week! Now I have to make a choice. I know the decision is up to me, but if any current students at these schools could share what they think are the pros / cons, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't have a girlfriend currently, and my family is on the West side of the state, so neither of those will influence my decision.

I also don't have my heart set on any particular specialty, although there are a few I have in mind (MSU-CHM seems to be more primary care focused, while Wayne State is more broad).

Having the opportunity to do research is a big deal to me, and I've heard a few rumors that some students have trouble finding funding for research at MSU (not sure if this is true..)

I liked the facilities about equally when touring both schools, but it's hard to get a good idea of just how state of the art they are on a 20 minute tour.

Wayne State has a much larger class size than MSU, but MSU MD and DO take classes together, so in the end they're not too different. I wouldn't mind taking classes with the DO students at all (as I also applied there), but others have said it causes some awkwardness. How does Honors scoring work at MSU? The Std Dev honors at Wayne seems like it would cause the class to be more competitive, but I guess any school is going to be competitive with each other no matter what.

Well, I know there are a thousand factors to consider, but any advice and things that I have not considered / forgot about would really be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a girlfriend currently, and my family is on the West side of the state, so neither of those will influence my decision.

I also don't have my heart set on any particular specialty, although there are a few I have in mind (MSU-CHM seems to be more primary care focused, while Wayne State is more broad).

Having the opportunity to do research is a big deal to me, and I've heard a few rumors that some students have trouble finding funding for research at MSU (not sure if this is true..)

I liked the facilities about equally when touring both schools, but it's hard to get a good idea of just how state of the art they are on a 20 minute tour.

Wayne State has a much larger class size than MSU, but MSU MD and DO take classes together, so in the end they're not too different. I wouldn't mind taking classes with the DO students at all (as I also applied there), but others have said it causes some awkwardness. How does Honors scoring work at MSU? The Std Dev honors at Wayne seems like it would cause the class to be more competitive, but I guess any school is going to be competitive with each other no matter what.

Well, I know there are a thousand factors to consider, but any advice and things that I have not considered / forgot about would really be appreciated!

I'm not a current student at either, but two differences that you should consider in your decision:
1) Do you like PBL?
2) Do you mind possibly relocating after your first 2 years elsewhere in Michigan to get clinical training?

edit: here are a list of past threads I found on the similar wayne vs. msuchm topic. Hopefully they'll help you with your decision. Good luck.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=392664&highlight=wayne+msu
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=377753&highlight=wayne+msu
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180058&highlight=wayne+msu
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119727&highlight=wayne+msu
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=59951&highlight=wayne+msu
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=2740&highlight=wayne+msu

Last edited:
I will select MSU. Great school ++++++++msu football and basketball. GO with your first choice, you will be happy with your first choice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was basically in the exact same situation as you were, down to the same acceptances. I ended up choosing Wayne based on a few factors. I went to MSU for undergrad, so I can say that I wouldn't be too upset to "see something new" in terms of schooling. The main factor that made my decision was the clinical exposure that I will get at Wayne and DMC in general. With MSU, you could get shipped all of the state. I was also accepted to the DO program at MSU and that program was even more spread out across the state. As for living, yes, EL is better. Im not going to live in detroit proper, so it should be too bad.

Definitely go with Wayne ;)

MSU has made some major strides in the area of research - that label is an old one. You can find links to the CHM Research website from the MSU CHM website, and learn a lot more about what is going on here.

For classes - only 1st year is with the COM students, and only for the main courses. (Not clinical skills, mentor group, etc.) Most of my friends and I have never felt any 'awkwardness' about that at all. It's even strange to consider that people would say it is there, because I've never seen it. The lecture can be crammed if everyone shows up - so you aren't feeling like you're in a class of 150, you're feeling like you're in a class of 400 - which would be close. 2nd year is all PBL and that's small group work.

To clarify something posted earlier - CHM does NOT send people "all over Michigan" like that. There are 5 community locations, and you get assigned to one, which is where you will STAY to do Years 3 & 4. Or years 2, 3 & 4 if assigned to Grand Rapids. That's because the hospitals are there. Not at the school.

There may be 1 or 2 preclinical classes one can honor in. Everything else is strictly pass/fail. You can honor in the important years - rotations.

Last edited:
I choose wayne based on the strength of the clinical education. it has 7 hospitals right at the campus, and the surrounding community hospitals are also ranked very highly (beaumont especially). More opportunities for case variety in the city i think.

Hey FastDude,

I was also in the same situation as you and I strongly recommend you choose wayne for a variety of reasons. I have many friends who go to both schools and I was accepted to both schools and I chose Wayne because it is a emerging as a big name medical school. If you want to specialize Wayne is great for producing students who are accepted into some of the best residencies in the country.

Concerning the environment, Detroit is an awesome place to live. I went to wayne state for undergrad and LOVE all of the options available to you in the city. Wayne State's location is optimal for not only that but excellent suberbs just a few miles away.

If you are into research, Wayne State is DEFINITELY your school. I remember at my interview at MSU CHM I was told by many students that it isn't really a primary focus although some opportunities are present. Wayne State gets a lot more money for grants in research and it is more readily available.

If you are a student who takes academics seriously I would go with Wayne. Although MSU is a great school you should DEFINITELY consider Wayne. The students and faculty there are great and willing to help you out. Excellent housing options are a plus and if it wasn't your first choice a few days ago, Wayne should definitely be there now.

Finally, Wayne State is known for the clinical exposure and expertise of its students. If you love interacting with patients and getting hands on exposure, Wayne has an edge.

Think about it this way; great education, great times (awesome environment in the city!) and great staff and students who love to hang out. You will not regret choosing wayne but good luck either way since both schools are awesome.

You are going to be md. Make your own decision, do not ask other to choose school for you. good luck:luck:

As OOS and having interviewed at both schools, I personally think this is a very hard decision on the OP. Both schools have different strengths. Things to factor in when deciding upon a school (and in no particular order):

1) Location - good/bad neighbourhood?
2) Proximity to loved ones, etc
3) Cost of education - tuition, living expenses, etc
4) Strong clinical rotations? Good match list history?
5) School atmosphere - staff, faculty, students - competitive or friendly?
6) General (gut) feeling about the school

Just some of the things I thought of on the spot. I'm sure there's more that one can add to this list.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I've been thinking about this 24/7....

I've been contacting researchers from MSU this week, and seeing just what types of opportunities are available. It seems as though that a majority of the students don't participate in research, but the ones that want to have the opportunity made available to them.

As for "being shipped out", I would love to be shipped to MSU's Grand Rapids campus :) They have amazing hospitals (Spectrum, Blodget, St. Mary's..), and the city has been exploding with medical opportunities. Plus, it's relatively close to my family, and I know and love the city, but have never had the chance to live there.

Although I've never experienced PBL, I'm certainly not opposed to it. A lot of people bash it, but few of those people seem to have actually seen it before. If some post-2nd year students had some input on it, that would be great.

As I'm reading my own post, I can tell that I'm trying to find every reason to attend MSU. After a little bit more discussion with some of the professors and current students at both of the schools, and I'll make my decision.

msu is so expensive oos

I've been contacting researchers from MSU this week, and seeing just what types of opportunities are available. It seems as though that a majority of the students don't participate in research, but the ones that want to have the opportunity made available to them.
As for "being shipped out", I would love to be shipped to MSU's Grand Rapids campus :) They have amazing hospitals (Spectrum, Blodget, St. Mary's..), and the city has been exploding with medical opportunities. Plus, it's relatively close to my family, and I know and love the city, but have never had the chance to live there.

This is totally correct. As I posted before, there are PLENTY of research opportunities at MSU-CHM. About 50 people in the class get assigned to GR. It's a beautiful new facility, and you would be there for years 2-4.

are these oos friendly??

Although I've never experienced PBL, I'm certainly not opposed to it. A lot of people bash it, but few of those people seem to have actually seen it before. If some post-2nd year students had some input on it, that would be great.

As I'm reading my own post, I can tell that I'm trying to find every reason to attend MSU. After a little bit more discussion with some of the professors and current students at both of the schools, and I'll make my decision.

Hey Fastdude400 ... It looks like you chose MSU CHM. Now that you are completing your first year, are you happy with your choice? Knowing what you know now, would you still pick MSU CHM over Wayne State? My friend is in the same boat this year as you were and just can't decide.