MSU- College of Human medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently received an invitation to fill out a secondary appliction for MSU- College of Human Medicine. They say that they usually compare primaries with application received over the year. I also read in TPR best medical schools book that MSU sends secondary invitations to only 1/4 of students who submit primaries. Is this true? Anyone rejected right away from MSU even before receiving a secondary? Do they accept a large number of out-of-state residents? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know what to tell ya. I got in as an oos student, but I don't recommend it b/c the cost of attendance is $81k/year and you don't get instate status after 1st year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know what to tell ya. I got in as an oos student, but I don't recommend it b/c the cost of attendance is $81k/year and you don't get instate status after 1st year.

I got in as an OOS student as well. However, I remembered the cost of tuition for OOS to be $55k+living food, car etc. All the OOS students I met there said they were borrowing in excess of a quarter mil for the 4 years.

the tuition is 48k, how do you get 81k?

to the OP:

when i previously applied to MSU (2005), they used to screen prior to sending secondary invites. However this year, they are sending secondaries to everyone. I received an email from them stating that everyone that pays the $60 secondary application fee will receive a link to fill out the application w/in two business days.

Too bad they don't pre-screen anymore :(

to the OP:

when i previously applied to MSU (2005), they used to screen prior to sending secondary invites. However this year, they are sending secondaries to everyone. I received an email from them stating that everyone that pays the $60 secondary application fee will receive a link to fill out the application w/in two business days.

Too bad they don't pre-screen anymore :(

BLAH. I didn't read that hard. I figured it was a fee to be screened. :p That sucks that I have to waste time writing a secondary, too. Plus the LORs. BTW, :hello:, fellow Bruin.

Hello,
I recently received an invitation to fill out a secondary appliction for MSU- College of Human Medicine. They say that they usually compare primaries with application received over the year. I also read in TPR best medical schools book that MSU sends secondary invitations to only 1/4 of students who submit primaries. Is this true? Anyone rejected right away from MSU even before receiving a secondary? Do they accept a large number of out-of-state residents? Thanks.

They don't give out secondaries unless they are going to interview you. They tell you at interview day that you are now 50/50 of getting in. It really makes you look around the room at the other interviewees and think, "wow, half these folks got to go." :laugh: At least that's how they did the secondaries last year. I'm in state btw.

exactly, the tuition is 48k oos. You gotta live don't you? 81k is probably the grand total for the entire year's expenses for oos, eh ortho?

I met with an adcom before the season started. MSU made some changes this year and is NOT screening for secondaries for the first time ever. That is why the invite e-mail states not to send LORs right away. That will be part of the screening process.

anybody know if there are any secondary essays for MSU's?

Agreed...when I applied...I sent my primaries in September and paid the 60.00 fee to review the application. It was a weird process because they wanted more money just to review your primary. Then in February, I got an e-mail saying that I have been requested to submit more essays and to pick an interview date.

Does anyone know what is actually due in two weeks? I have no idea what secondary they are talking about. Am I missing something? I guess I should look again, but if any one can clarify that would be great.

hi

so i paid the $60 app fee, and got an email today providing instructions on how to access/fill out the secondary. I followed the directions, set up a new acct, etc, but when i log on, i don't have the "secondary application" option that they talk about in the email. I still only have "check application status", "change password", and "log out". I'm hoping it's a small glitch, and since today is the first day, they'll have it fixed by the end of the day or at least by tomorrow.

I've emailed admissions as well. Pls. let me know if others are having a smilar issue.

thx

hello right back to ya Jaded03

Members don't see this ad :)
hi

so i paid the $60 app fee, and got an email today providing instructions on how to access/fill out the secondary. I followed the directions, set up a new acct, etc, but when i log on, i don't have the "secondary application" option that they talk about in the email. I still only have "check application status", "change password", and "log out". I'm hoping it's a small glitch, and since today is the first day, they'll have it fixed by the end of the day or at least by tomorrow.

I've emailed admissions as well. Pls. let me know if others are having a smilar issue.

thx

hello right back to ya Jaded03

Perfect. Another school jumped the gun on the secondary website. I'm sure they'll take care of it soon.

I called the admissions office and they are working on the glitch right now. The secondary application should be available this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

The Cost of Attendance for 2 semesters is $56,558. They go on a 3 semester system for the year. That 3rd (summer) semester is short, (not 3 months, like the chart says - the fin aid office told me that they just list it this way to make it a 12 month lending period) but they told me it's required. For Year 1, it is $81k. I'm looking right at the budget here, guys. You got it right, DocOB (as usual!)

http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budchm.pdf

$81 K for one year of school!!! Holy CR*P.

I had never even heard of this school. $81K is seriously ridiculous.

$81 K for one year of school!!! Holy CR*P.

I had never even heard of this school. $81K is seriously ridiculous.

You're not kidding. This is why I have been in a dilemma trying to decide between this school (MD) and UMDNJ (DO) - which is nearly half the cost.

help on MSU secondary question #2:

Please describe an experience you have had helping someone. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not describe any experience already detailed in your AMCAS application.

I am having some trouble understanding their meaning/intention in putting that little clause in there...If i talked about a particular experience on AMCAS, but now want to talk about a particular patient not mentioned before(within that experience), would that be considered describing something already on AMCAS?

Just looking for some clarification

thx

help on MSU secondary question #2:

Please describe an experience you have had helping someone. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not describe any experience already detailed in your AMCAS application.

I am having some trouble understanding their meaning/intention in putting that little clause in there...If i talked about a particular experience on AMCAS, but now want to talk about a particular patient not mentioned before(within that experience), would that be considered describing something already on AMCAS?

Just looking for some clarification

thx

I'm doing a similar thing. I believe this is fine. The statement does mention detail. I simply could not detail my experience on my PS. Although, I'm in a worse off position as I have a situation nearly identical to my PS, but my presentation of it is much more personal than (haha) my personal statement. They just want to see something new.

The Cost of Attendance for 2 semesters is $56,558. They go on a 3 semester system for the year. That 3rd (summer) semester is short, (not 3 months, like the chart says - the fin aid office told me that they just list it this way to make it a 12 month lending period) but they told me it's required. For Year 1, it is $81k. I'm looking right at the budget here, guys. You got it right, DocOB (as usual!)

http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budchm.pdf

absolutely absurd! I am from michigan and i know for a fact that MSU is far short of an 81k/yr school. I would find 81k exceptionally hard to justify for even the absolute most prestigious school in the nation

absolutely absurd! I am from michigan and i know for a fact that MSU is far short of an 81k/yr school. I would find 81k exceptionally hard to justify for even the absolute most prestigious school in the nation

Do you mean that you don't think it is worth that, or are you saying the link I posted is incorrect? It would be interesting to see if there is another US school that would cost anyone more over 4 years time. I doubt there is. It figures that's where I managed to get in, too, just my luck. :(

Be careful how you read school budgets/cost of attendance - some schools include summer expenses (MSU CHM included), others do not. When comparing costs, verify that you are looking at the same time periods.

Be careful how you read school budgets/cost of attendance - some schools include summer expenses (MSU CHM included), others do not. When comparing costs, verify that you are looking at the same time periods.

I am using the same time frames.

Do you mean that you don't think it is worth that, or are you saying the link I posted is incorrect? It would be interesting to see if there is another US school that would cost anyone more over 4 years time. I doubt there is. It figures that's where I managed to get in, too, just my luck. :(

I am saying that this is an absurd amount of OOS tuition for the first year.

Let me be clear, Ortho, if this was the only place that i got in, i would certainly go, albeit with apprehension and perhaps a newfound respect for getting excellent grades and a about a 260 on the Step 1.