MSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could anybody help with the following question about housing? I posted this in the "medical student"section but there haven't been many replies. It concerns buying a small house vs. renting. One respondent recommended buying....thanks.

1. The issue is that I'm single and don't anticipate marrying in medical school. (as of now)Also, the rent is not that expensive at MSUCOM; a cursory check saw rent+utilities at around 500/month. I'm sure I could negotiate a more attractive rate, too.

2. With MSUCOM; you may not be spending your 3rd and 4th years in East Lansing, I believe.

3. Yes, you can rent the house out but wouldn't it be a big hassle and not worth the marginal difference between the mortgage payment and the rent? Less distractions may lead to better grades, which could lead to a more attractive specialty. This would be worth hundreds of thousands in the end.

4. Also, is anybody participating in the ANG or Navy Reserve? I'm interested in them since they offer some loan repayment options (without too much commitment, I believe) The HPSP and FAP don't seem attractive, based on the literature I've read on current/past participants.

I think #2 would be a big reason not to buy a home... Unless you're bent on living in a certain area after 3rd/4th year. Too many unexpected things in life happen, I think buying would be too much of a hassle. Just an opinion, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted today!!!

Happy to be able to join finally join this thread!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question regarding the scholarships also. I have noticed that the earliest due date for a scholarship is January 15th. However, many of the scholarships choose multiple students.

My question is, will all the students be chosen after the deadline date, or can students be picked now (for scholarships with multiple students)? In other words, are there any benefits in doing the essay right now and turning it in with regards to around January 15th?

I have a question regarding the scholarships also. I have noticed that the earliest due date for a scholarship is January 15th. However, many of the scholarships choose multiple students.

My question is, will all the students be chosen after the deadline date, or can students be picked now (for scholarships with multiple students)? In other words, are there any benefits in doing the essay right now and turning it in with regards to around January 15th?

I have a question for you, where are the scholarships listed again? :p

I think #2 would be a big reason not to buy a home... Unless you're bent on living in a certain area after 3rd/4th year. Too many unexpected things in life happen, I think buying would be too much of a hassle. Just an opinion, though.

Much agreed. I am a first year at MSUCOM, buying is very risky given that our base hospitals are done on a lottery basis (the ones in the Lansing area are always the most popular and therefore, the hardest to get. They do not take into consideration whether you have kids, a house, or family in the area, none of that matters). Long story short, I would not suggest buying. Also, I noticed the post above stating they found rent for 500/month with utilities. If you really did find rent that cheap, you probably don't want to live there. Most of the descent places will be on the East side of campus (Okemos area) and are more like 700-800 + utilities. Just thought I would throw that in there so that no one was surprised when they went to find an apartment. Good luck, and I'm sure I will meet you all next year.

Hi,

I was just wondering, are any of you from Canada? If you are pm me, I have some questions please.

Thanks

Sent in my paperwork and paid my deposit today! I don't know that I've ever been this excited!!!!!

Sent in my paperwork and paid my deposit today! I don't know that I've ever been this excited!!!!!

Yayyy! I felt the same way when I sent in my paperwork. :D Do you know which campus you want to attend yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this past week and waiting for the paperwork/deposit for EL. Also a visit date of Jan 29th in case anyone else happens to be attending :D

Yayyy! I felt the same way when I sent in my paperwork. :D Do you know which campus you want to attend yet?

I really want to attend at the East Lansing campus. My in-laws live in Holland, MI which is on the west side of the state and I nhave two young children so I would like to be as close to the support system as possible and also out of the city if possible! But I know EL is filling up quick so I put Macomb as my second choice!

How about you??

Accepted this past week and waiting for the paperwork/deposit for EL. Also a visit date of Jan 29th in case anyone else happens to be attending :D

I am visiting on the 29th too! So we will probably see each other! I just submitted my paperwork and deposit for EL. When you get your paperwork I would submit it ASAP if you really want EL, the admissions office told me that campus is filling up extremely quickly!

Congrats again on the acceptance!

How do I go about setting up visits to all three campuses? I followed the instruction to sign up for a visit day (Jan 29th) from the acceptance email but I think this is for EL campus. How do I set up visits for DMC and Macomb?

Just got accepted this past week, actually the day after my birthday, so I'm really excited! I'm interested in the DO-PhD program, so now I have to be accepted to the PhD program. Anyone else in the same boat?

I heard that the interviews for the PhD are held during a weekend in February, so I'm hoping that I can visit the COM while I'm there for that. Will be traveling from NJ, so Im hoping I can get acquainted with East Lansing.

Is anyone who is doing the HPSP know how MSU's start date will effect the dates for officer training prior to starting school? I know the HPSP COT for the USAF is offered either the end of may or the end of june. My recruiter is horrible with getting back with info. PM me if you have heard anything. Also, congrats to everyone that was accepted. Im putting my deposit down, and looking at either DMC or EL.

Help Needed?

I got accepted to
MSU-COM ............OOT TUITION TOO HIGH BUT GREAT REPUTATION
OU-COM ..............I AM FROM OHIO=LOWER TUITION BUT LOWEST COMPLEX PASS RATE OF THE 3, AND ATHENES IN IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
LECOM ................HIGH PASS RATE, BUT VERY SMALL SCHOOL(ALTHOUGH CLASS IS THE LARGEST 240STUDENT), AND TOO MANY RULES AND REGULATION (NO WATER IN HALL WAYS....ETC)

I AM FROM OHIO
NOT SURE WHICH ONE I SHOULD GO TO.....ANY ADVICES?:luck::luck::luck:

To set up a visit at Macomb:
Email [email protected] and tell them you would like to set up a visit. There aren't set "visit days" like they do in EL so you should be able to get in quicker. And our new building is done now so I'm sure you can get a tour of that too!!! (And ask to meet with several current students, we're all willing!!)

To set up a visit @ DMC:
Email [email protected] and tell them you would like to set up a visit. Same thing applies here, no set "visit days" so they should also be able to get you in quickly! Talk to current students here too! They are always the best bet!!

How do I go about setting up visits to all three campuses? I followed the instruction to sign up for a visit day (Jan 29th) from the acceptance email but I think this is for EL campus. How do I set up visits for DMC and Macomb?

I really want to attend at the East Lansing campus. My in-laws live in Holland, MI which is on the west side of the state and I nhave two young children so I would like to be as close to the support system as possible and also out of the city if possible! But I know EL is filling up quick so I put Macomb as my second choice!

How about you??

I'll be at the Macomb campus, it's closer to my home. :)

Help Needed?

I got accepted to
OU-COM ..............I AM FROM OHIO=LOWER TUITION BUT LOWEST COMPLEX PASS RATE OF THE 3, AND ATHENES IN IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
LECOM ................HIGH PASS RATE, BUT VERY SMALL SCHOOL(ALTHOUGH CLASS IS THE LARGEST 240STUDENT), AND TOO MANY RULES AND REGULATION (NO WATER IN HALL WAYS....ETC)

I AM FROM OHIO

I would suggest OU-COM due to the tuition difference. I really wouldn't look at COMPLEX pass rates (unless they're really terrible!) because it's something you individually have to study for, you know? I understand that the school is responsible for providing an education, but you are the one who has to sit down to study and take the test. That's how I view it, at least.

Help Needed?

I got accepted to

I AM FROM OHIO

I don't know your financial situation but MSUCOM has a very high OOS tutition. Then again they can knock it down to around IS rates with scholarships so that could be something to look into.

Take this with a grain of salt like every other opinion but I personally wouldn't put too much emphasis on "reputation" and would look further into which school you would be the happiest (location, attendence policy, dress code, laid back or not, etc etc) at and the opportunities you prefer (year 3 and 4 specifically).

Also keep in mind there's a difference between passing and passing boards with high scores, if you're into that. Either way it's highly dependent on your own work ethic/habits.

Got my site confirmation for East Lansing!!!! I am very excited since I kept hearing about how fast it was filling up and I have family much closer to EL than the other sites!

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the EL campus? I know that there is for the other two campuses but I didn't know if there was for EL.

Had my interview at UMDNJ today and supposedly find out if I got in tomorrow. Also got my MSUCOM admissions packet in the mail today, mailing it back tomorrow morning... Class of 2014!!

I'm going to EL as well, so hopefully that will work out. How's everyone going about finding housing? Just a free for all? I know no one else going there and I'm from NJ.

I'm not sure what to do about housing either - I know I've mentioned this but I have two kids and we also have dogs so I really need a house and all of the listings I have really come across have been for apartments.

I know people have warned against buying, but I am wondering if I should even try to go about finding a rental that will be big enough for my family and will allow my dogs.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might go about finding this type of property? Seems like I have been looking in all the wrong places! :confused:

I'm not sure what to do about housing either - I know I've mentioned this but I have two kids and we also have dogs so I really need a house and all of the listings I have really come across have been for apartments.

I know people have warned against buying, but I am wondering if I should even try to go about finding a rental that will be big enough for my family and will allow my dogs.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might go about finding this type of property? Seems like I have been looking in all the wrong places! :confused:

Well it might be somewhat difficult to find a house around the EL campus if that is the one you committed to (mostly because companies have bought most of the surrounding houses). However, in the metro-detroit area there is an abundance of houses for sale if you were to attend the Macomb or DMC campus.

To set up a visit at Macomb:
Email [email protected] and tell them you would like to set up a visit. There aren't set "visit days" like they do in EL so you should be able to get in quicker. And our new building is done now so I'm sure you can get a tour of that too!!! (And ask to meet with several current students, we're all willing!!)

To set up a visit @ DMC:
Email [email protected] and tell them you would like to set up a visit. Same thing applies here, no set "visit days" so they should also be able to get you in quickly! Talk to current students here too! They are always the best bet!!

thanks!

also, will i be visiting (touring, one-on-one time with students) by myself? or do they try to group students visiting together? what is included in the visit? is it just the tour and q&a session or are any presentations (like finaid etc which are usually presented during interview visits) included as well?

For those of you that have been accepted - Congratulations and Welcome!!

I am a 3rd year and I am happy to answer any questions I can!

As far as scholarships, go to the COM homepage > students > financial aid and scholarships. Here you will find a list of scholarships available and the requirements for each.

how much time do students have off from classes to prep for COMLEX? what is the pass rate (and also average score)? what about USMLE? i heard that not many students opt to take it; is that true?

thanks!

thanks!

also, will i be visiting (touring, one-on-one time with students) by myself? or do they try to group students visiting together? what is included in the visit? is it just the tour and q&a session or are any presentations (like finaid etc which are usually presented during interview visits) included as well?

it will just be you (most likely). If you want to talk with students, just ask in an email before hand and they will probably just email us and ask if we could help out. they don't really do financial aid stuff because the fin aid office is in EL but they can give you info and who you can contact.

There are plenty of rental/lease houses that are available in the EL/Okemos area. This is something you will have to go about on your own, contacting or googling individual leasing companies in the area will help a lot. A couple that come to mind are: SRP management, Cron management

SRP Management: I personally leased a house during undergrad at MSU, they're an okay company as far as leasing companies in EL go.

http://www.housesforrent.com/

Cron: Heard good things about them from friends. Apparently all of their houses are taken but maybe they can lead you to some referrals.

http://www.cronmgt.com/houses.html

On a side note, the majority if not 100% of houses near campus will be leased already. Which in my opinion is not a bad thing because you probably wouldn't want to live near campus with the undergrads as a med school student with a family.

I'm not sure how well you know the East Lansing area but if you need more help, feel free to pm me. :thumbup:

Does anyone know if MSU-COM has a dress code and if so, what is it? I couldn't find any info on the MSU website. Thanks!

Does anyone know if MSU-COM has a dress code and if so, what is it? I couldn't find any info on the MSU website. Thanks!

I never heard of MSU having a dress code, so I would say there is none.

how much time do students have off from classes to prep for COMLEX? what is the pass rate (and also average score)? what about USMLE? i heard that not many students opt to take it; is that true?

thanks!

For my class, we had a dermatology class that went until the third week in May. Clerkship rotations start the Monday after the 4th of July holiday. You can schedule your boards whenever you like. Most people schedule them in June, giving themselves about 4 weeks of studying and 2 weeks of vacation before rotations start.

Pass rates are on par with national averages. Scores for my class have not yet been released as all of my classmates have not yet taken the exam and/or received their scores.

As far as deciding to take the USMLE it is a personal decision. It is true that most students do opt to not take the exam. The COMLEX and USMLE are very different exams and preparation for them require different things. You will need to have some idea of what type of residency you want or where you want to practice in order to make this decision. I would suggest going to the osteopathic opportunities website and looking at the different osteopathic residencies in the country to see what is available. It is never to early to start looking at different programs.

Hope this helps.

I believe there is a dress code if you are the DMC site only.

How long did many of you have to wait to hear back from the admission committee? Did everyone interview or do they offer admission based on the admission packet?

How long did many of you have to wait to hear back from the admission committee? Did everyone interview or do they offer admission based on the admission packet?

I waited about a month after my file was complete to be invited for an interview. I found out about my acceptance a week following the interview.

They usually accept students based on admissions packet. They don't interview very many. I don't know how many they interview, but I am sure I'm one of few that went through interview...

I believe there is a dress code if you are the DMC site only.

Not from what I heard, I spoke with students from the DMC campus and they said nothing about a dress code.

Interviews are rare, they're usually for some non-traditional students and "borderline" applicants.

Some people wait a week after being complete to hear back, some wait months, some don't hear anything until the class is essentially full. :confused:

http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/Professionalconductappearancepolicy.html

It says this is for the DMC because of the campus being located in the professional medical setting. It doesn't seem super strict, just tells you things that are not acceptable and I think a name badge has to be worn from the sounds of it.

When I toured the campus the students were pretty causally dressed but I believe you do need a card to access the build and such. My tour guide had one hanging form around his neck.

Hey guys, I've been looking for apartments for the past month and a half and unfortunately I don't feel very confident about any of them!
I got on a waiting list as Knob Hill and have been talking to BerryTree and Club Meridian but it seems like they only will offer an August move-in!
I wanted to get into a place in May or June to get used to the area and get settled in instead of trying to find a sublease and then having to basically move all my stuff twice.
Does anyone have a place lined up with an early summer move-in? In fact, does anyone have any suggestions on places that i may have overlooked that are med student friendly (few undergrads, quiet, possible pet friendly, etc)?

I appreciate your help! Hope you're enjoying 2010!!!

Marc