MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
16,640?:eek:
Yikes, lol:D, that number seems suspisiously high. But since u started at 5, make sure u explain that and write that down. If ur honest (which i know u r;) ) then write that number down, with a brief explanation when u started. Yes i think they want know "when u started" and not just ur college years..But dont take my word for it, its better to call and ask. GoodLuck...

I think I might call just to be sure. Which MD 2nds did you get??

Members don't see this ad.

1) East Virginia Medical school Secondaries jul/5 thro mail
2) University of Arkansas School Secondaries jul /5 thro mail

Im still waiting On My number one MD school secondaries which is (like urs) Wayne State , but i heard they are pretty slow in sending secondaries. Plus one of my friends told me that they dont send secondaries until u get ur MCAT scores in. I guess will have to wait and see.

Does anyone know how to update summer grades? Should I notify MSUCOM or AACOMAS?

Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I havent been verified yet for MSUCOM. Is it okay if one of my evaluators send their evaluation to MSUCOM? Will they throw it away or keep it? Thankssss.

Hey guys,

I havent been verified yet for MSUCOM. Is it okay if one of my evaluators send their evaluation to MSUCOM? Will they throw it away or keep it? Thankssss.

Personally I'd wait. Just because I'm not sure what they're doing for screening this year. Call admissions office...if they just screen GPA and you meet both cumulative and science then I'm pretty sure it would be ok for your LOR author to send in the form.

Hey guys,

I would definately wait! If you already have the evals done, you're already one step ahead of everyone else.

i took a practice test today (aamc) and got:

bio:10
physics:9
verbal:5 :scared::thumbdown: (ahhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) is this normal? im about to freak out ---verbal is going to kill my score comes august.

Im practicing but i keep getting the same score (when i time my self) which is either a 5 or a 6. (i got a 9 once but it was UNtimed verbal test) ..i need ur help guys? plz?

my strategy is that im doing 6 and skipping the hardest one. Any advise guys?

NO!!!!

Skip nothing. Practice your ass off. See how fast you can get.

I started out getting 6's on my practice VRs. It just pissed me off, so I made myself good at it.

Adhere to the time constraints that will be imposed in the actual exam. Once you get under that time, give yourself five less minutes to do it in. And just see how fast you can get.

NO!!!!

I started out getting 6's on my practice VRs. It just pissed me off, so I made myself good at it.

Adhere to the time constraints that will be imposed in the actual exam. Once you get under that time, give yourself five less minutes to do it in. And just see how fast you can get.

Do this ^ .

Still haven't received that secondary:scared:

NO!!!!

Thanks for the advise, ill try to adhere to the time (in a decreasing fashion), i guess i just need to practice even more like u said.:luck:.

Still haven't received that secondary:scared:

Don't worry - as long as you meet the gpa requirements you will get a secondary. Use the link I posted a few weeks ago to start working on it so you're all set once you get it. They'll give you a deadline when they send it so you'll be ahead of the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary today! Woo-hoo!!!:)

thanks for the info

Last edited:
Is anyone going to be on campus Friday? I live over a hour away I'm gong to look at some housing, so will probably stay the whole day..pm me if anyone wants to have coffee/lunch. :)

Hey everyone!!!

Thanks for all the great info... :love: and the links to the new sec. app.
Here is my situation: Applied too late last year and only got on the bad waitlist... did go to the orientation for prospective students and remember hearing something about an extension of the campus/seats offered...

Though, I'm still confused about the Detroit extension.. is it in effect for next year?

Hey everyone!!!

Thanks for all the great info... :love: and the links to the new sec. app.
Here is my situation: Applied too late last year and only got on the bad waitlist... did go to the orientation for prospective students and remember hearing something about an extension of the campus/seats offered...

Though, I'm still confused about the Detroit extension.. is it in effect for next year?

I have heard different things, but no clear answer...I asked a CHM student and he didn't know either. It would be really nice though. Is the "orientation for prospective students" the open house?

heyyy good thing out of state tuition could buy me a new corvette every year! man, i envy you michigan dwellers..

Has anyone gotten a secondary in the past 2 weeks?

It's been about 2 weeks since I received mine. I sent everything out right away though and nothing has been updated on my app status (saying what I have sent it) since July 9. Someone's being lazy :)

It's been about 2 weeks since I received mine. I sent everything out right away though and nothing has been updated on my app status (saying what I have sent it) since July 9. Someone's being lazy :)

Same here. My secondary is in and both eval forms. Checking the status checker every day...still nothing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering how long it took everyone to get their aacomas application checked and verified? I sent out mine on June 26th and it is still in the "submitted" mode... It has been 4.5 weeks now (amcas has been processed 2 weeks ago) is there anyone I could call to check if everything is o.k. ??? can I call MSU COM , or are they not going to have any info on this?

Also, know of a good place to live there ?

Hi everyone-
I just called the admissions office to check on the secondary application status just as I'm sure many of you have been doing also...

Every time I went to the application status check website, the email it sends said my information has not been updated since 7/01/08, and I know that basically everything has gotten in since then. If you call the admissions office, they will tell you what has been received and what hasn't. The email said nothing had been received, the person I talked with said everything had been received.

Minea-
A lot of medical students live in Berrytree Apartments. Some of the COM students looking at this thread could give you more info but that is probably the apartment complex with the most med students. I don't know any med students who live on campus (in the graduate hall called Owen). Berrytree is ideal because it's close to Fee Hall (Fee = COM, CHM, CVM) except the trains are a little on the loud side. However, the pool changes colors which is neat and they have a nice club house sort of thing. I think the advantage to living in a place like Berrytree where there are many other med students is that chances are it will be quiet. Many students will have tests around the same time. As for other places, I can't really give you any better information because I'm not too current on all of the apartment complexes (although I should be because I've been at MSU for 3 years!). Also, my AACOMAS took ~4 weeks to become verified.

Wow, the email about unauthorized secondary application access was interesting. The funny part was, evidently, some people sent in a secondary without being invited to fill one out! They said that they are treating it as academic dishonesty.

MSU COM is my top choice school! I submitted my aacomas application 5/20, it was processed 6/20 and I received secondaries July 2 (my birthday, good sign right??). I sent my secondary application and my evals in and they were recieved July 10 and I am now waiting anxiously! I think this is going to be the most stressful time, since MSU doesn't go to committee until september...WAITING SUCKS!!

Hey guys, especially Minea, who asked about this, I have lived in EL for the last four years and I have a few suggestions on places to live.

First of all, Berrytree mentioned above is a good one!

I live in Castle Pointe. It is off of Hagadorn Road, but it is about 3 miles from Fee Hall. However, there are a lot of professional students (law, vet, and medicine) and it is a really quite place! They have great ammenities too!! I absolutely love it here!
Also check out Old Farm, Homestead, and Arbor Glen, all on Lake Lansing Road, and there are a lot of houses for rent too! I would go to a rental site, like ELrentals and see what you find. Also, AllMSU.com has a lot of rental postings, its worth a shot. I would also consider the University Apartments Cherry Lane, Spartan Village and University Village. They are on campus and are quite nice. They are pretty quiet there too!

I also have some info about places to avoid if you want to be able to study at home. I lived in Chandler's Crossings, and while they are really nice apartments, they are HORRIBLE FOR NOISE! There are parties all the time and the walls are paper thin. There is also a lot of vandalism, and most of the residents are really immature!

Another place to avoid, in my opinion, would be Cedar Village!

Well, that's my two cents on the subject!! Hope that helps

hi everyone. glad i found the msu com thread. im a current msu student and applying to COM. how is the application process going for you all?

Once again a big ":claps:" for all the great info!!!
Still wondering about one thing though: What's this talk about MSU COM starting reviews of the secondaries in September ... does that mean that everyone's secondaries will be reviewed at the same time starting September...?

Hope everyone is surviving the application process...

P.S. thanks for the info on the housing, too

HI Minea,

I had a meeting with the Director of Admissions, Kathy Schafer, in June and she told me that since MSU COM uses a rolling admissions process, they start going to committee in september with their first batch of applications. I am just assuming, since they received my secondary app in early July that I will be in the first batch of applicants reviewed...not positive, but that is my understanding. They continue to make admission decisions from sept until the class is full, which usually happens in Dec so it is really important to get your stuff in early!!

I really recommend talking with an admissions counselor at MSUCOM, they are great! My meeting with Kathy ended up lasting 3 hours! She is super nice and really helpful with any info you need!

Again, hope that helps!

Hi everyone. I'm a first year COM student. We're doing anatomy right now. I have a few things to input after reading page 3 of this thread.

1. Lots of med students live in Central Park Apartments or Club Meridian Apartments in Okemos. I'm in central park. It's 4 miles from the med school and about a 12 minute drive, if I want to go that day. All the lectures are recorded and online so if you are disciplined enough you can study from home. The only reason to go to campus is for labs.

Here's why I love central park:
Pool, tennis, racketball, workout facilities, sauna, hot tub.
Quiet clean professional environment. Lots of young professionals and new families.
Lots of space. Each room has it's own laundry. I have an 1100 square foot apartment with 14 foot ceilings and a fireplace and balcony. 2 bed 2 bath for 870/month. Split it with a roommate so it's not too bad.

2. Last app cycle people began getting acceptances around the end of august. Emails were the first notification and were received on Wednesday mornings. I remember that whole waiting process--stick in there!

3. If you do get accepted here among other places, choose here. I chose COM over Wayne, CCOM, WVSOM, and DMU. I absolutely love this place. Med school does not suck when you like the school.

If anyone has questions pm me. I don't check SDN often but if you pm me I will get an email and be able to respond on this thread.

Good luck!

-Steve

yay anyone else get the secondary application today?? :)

i don't have a deadline date in the email...but it's one month, right?

no, I'm still waiting to get my AACOMAS checked and done with .... I sent it out June 26 and still no change in the status ':(' - ....

by the way... any other re-applicants to MSU COM here? I've got a question.... for our letters of rec. is it better to send in new ones from DIFFERENT people since the old ones are probably still going to be on file ... I'm just not sure if they'll even read the old ones the second time around (since I liked my last ones) ?... gonna try calling them to find out, too....

no, I'm still waiting to get my AACOMAS checked and done with .... I sent it out June 26 and still no change in the status ':(' - ....

by the way... any other re-applicants to MSU COM here? I've got a question.... for our letters of rec. is it better to send in new ones from DIFFERENT people since the old ones are probably still going to be on file ... I'm just not sure if they'll even read the old ones the second time around (since I liked my last ones) ?... gonna try calling them to find out, too....

They will not use any part of your previous application for your current application. You will have to resend those letters from last year, if that's what you want to do.

O.k. it's officially 5 weeks since I sent out my AACOMAS appl. and it is still in the "submitted" state... should I be concerned?

O.k. it's officially 5 weeks since I sent out my AACOMAS appl. and it is still in the "submitted" state... should I be concerned?

I wouldn't be too concerned..mine was pretty slow and took at least 6 weeks last year. Maybe wait another week and if you don't hear anything call admissions. They're really nice.

I'd call AACOMAS (or email) before calling MSU. MSU seems pretty sensitive to the whole secondary application thing right now after those emails recently. I was in your situation too. I emailed AACOMAS and they said my application materials were processed and sent out a week earlier (a week earlier than when I emailed them).

what are your plans? a house? or an apartment?

build an asset or pour it down the drain? i want a house. what's your plan? :thumbup:

build an asset or pour it down the drain? i want a house. what's your plan? :thumbup:

You may want to re-think buying a house...MSUCOM does not guarantee that you will remain in the EL area during 3rd and 4th year...

Oh wow, I am stupid. I should just read the email fully.

You may want to re-think buying a house...MSUCOM does not guarantee that you will remain in the EL area during 3rd and 4th year...

darn.. oh well.. hope i get in first.. =)
just sent secondary out today....:thumbup:

I just received MSU-COM secondary but also received another email saying i was missing 1 credit hour!!!!! Behavior Science! Also said i need to provide proof of completion by July. What are some Behavior Science courses for 1 credit lol....?

Echoing drchick - also, the housing market in this area is awful. It is taking some people several YEARS to sell their places, and many rent while they are trying to sell to offset the expense.

Just had my AACOMAS checked and was wondering how long it took you guys to hear from MSU COM with the secondary??? thanks :)

Just had my AACOMAS checked and was wondering how long it took you guys to hear from MSU COM with the secondary??? thanks :)

MSUCOM secondary came about a week after AACOMAS verification.

Echoing drchick - also, the housing market in this area is awful. It is taking some people several YEARS to sell their places, and many rent while they are trying to sell to offset the expense.

man... i watch H&G channel all the time and was thinking of flippin the house. sigh... gotta postpone all the flippin ideas and go back to college apartment life. :p

man... i watch H&G channel all the time and was thinking of flippin the house. sigh... gotta postpone all the flippin ideas and go back to college apartment life. :p

Well, you could rent one of these houses people are still trying to sell, instead of an apartment!

Well, you could rent one of these houses people are still trying to sell, instead of an apartment!

may be i can buy those, flip it, live 2 years, sell it to professors...:thumbup:
make profit, pay the loan, move on. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.