MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I heard from this Dr. that the Detroit extension will come into effect in 2009 ... I"m surprised they don't make us choose one... are they just going to assign people randomly ??

Members don't see this ad.

I am a reapplicant and I was wondering if anyone has got the secondary yet this year. I have a copy of the old evaluation forms from last year and was wondering if they are the same this year? I was hoping to send it to the person soon so they could get a head start but didnt know if they were the same?

This is probably a dumb question, but they say to turn in two copies (the original and a copy). Are they just really wanting two copies? I don't see how one is an original unless I photocopy it and then print it. Sorry, I think I'm being neurotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably a dumb question, but they say to turn in two copies (the original and a copy). Are they just really wanting two copies? I don't see how one is an original unless I photocopy it and then print it. Sorry, I think I'm being neurotic.
ANother question: You guys write it out by hand or type it in Word? My handwriting sucks, but this formatting is getting painful!

No, I would suggest you type it;... makes more sense and is much easier on the evaluators.... plus I haven't heard anything of a copy?

You have to submit two copies of items 1 through 5 of the secondary application. This is a situation where having done too many extracurricular activities could be detrimental.

Well, I'm kind of screwed with these evaluation forms. The DO I shadowed moved and it just seems hard to ask any professor of mine to fill out these essays.

Well, I'm kind of screwed with these evaluation forms. The DO I shadowed moved and it just seems hard to ask any professor of mine to fill out these essays.

Email them the eval forms and mail them some envelopes - this is what I did and it went pretty smoothly.

SO I just sent in my secondary today and the rec letters should be arriving in 3 to 4 days.... would I still be considered a somewhat early applicant? or is this late? Anyone?

SO I just sent in my secondary today and the rec letters should be arriving in 3 to 4 days.... would I still be considered a somewhat early applicant? or is this late? Anyone?

On time? ;)

It's fine. They don't start reviewing secondary apps until the first week of September.

I know, but I still assume that they will start reviewing them in order received... so that makes a difference I'm guessing...especially considering the slow rate at which they check them... J

I'm almost positive that they do review in order recieved. My question is, I was complete on July 10, but I have new MCAT scores coming out Monday or Tuesday. Will I lose my spot at the front of the stack or will they just add to my application? so basically, am I actually NOT complete until they have second scores??

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure, but considering all I've heard so far about that subject I would say that you are only complete once all the material is in... since they probably can't review it and make accurate judgment without all the info... anyone else have any thoughts on this?

It can't hurt to send the other stuff in early though...

Your application will be on hold in the clearance bin at MSUCOM applicant market. As soon as your app becomes complete, MSUCOM admission shoppers will grab it and put it in their cart. May be they will check out too! :thumbup:

I'm almost positive that they do review in order recieved. My question is, I was complete on July 10, but I have new MCAT scores coming out Monday or Tuesday. Will I lose my spot at the front of the stack or will they just add to my application? so basically, am I actually NOT complete until they have second scores??

Thanks guys!

I turned in my primary almost a month ago now and still have not heard anything... is that normal? Should I be concerned?

Hey, could someone post another link to the secondary or post the big questions from it. For some reason the link doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks!

To CarlyMD: MSUCOM does not start reviewing completed applications until the first week of september, so you won't be hearing anything for at least two weeks. And from what I understand, the top 20% of applications they have at that time go to committee and then they decide. So don't expect anything until september. Good luck!

To Hawk DO: The secondary for MSUCOM got changed to a different website that requires your email address to log in to it. Therefore, you will only be able to access it once MSUCOM sends it to you. They did this because people were accessing it without being "allowed" to do so.

To CarlyMD: MSUCOM does not start reviewing completed applications until the first week of september, so you won't be hearing anything for at least two weeks. And from what I understand, the top 20% of applications they have at that time go to committee and then they decide. So don't expect anything until september. Good luck!

To Hawk DO: The secondary for MSUCOM got changed to a different website that requires your email address to log in to it. Therefore, you will only be able to access it once MSUCOM sends it to you. They did this because people were accessing it without being "allowed" to do so.

no I mean I have not even gotten the secondary yet so I am not complete to review

no I mean I have not even gotten the secondary yet so I am not complete to review

woops, read that wrong, sorry!
has AACOMAS officially verified you? and have you gotten other secondaries?? If so, then i would give the admissions office a call and simply ask. MSUCOM was the first secondary i got once I was verified.
If you are not verified yet, it is taking closer to the 6 week mark to be verified by AACOMAS. Just turn it in as soon as you get it and you'll be a-okay. remember that there are different LOR forms though too!!

does anyone know how often the application status page is updated?

It's been several days since my LORS were sent out and they still aren't showing up as received. Anyone else have this problem?

Runningdoc:
I would call the school and check. This was happening to me in July for about a week and when I called I had been complete for a few days. It says that they update the status page often, but I don't think that is always the case!

is there any way around the LOR evaluation forms, can you just have normal LORs sent from your school...also they don't require an osteopathic LOR correct?

Hey guys, does anyone know their policy on additional letters. I have two people that I know I want to fill out those crazy evaluations they are requesting, but I also have a general LOR from a D.O. that I shadowed that graduated from and has connections with MSUCOM. Does anyone know if they frown upon sending additional letters....or would one extra LOR be ok? Thanks :)

Last edited:
does anyone know how often the application status page is updated?

It's been several days since my LORS were sent out and they still aren't showing up as received. Anyone else have this problem?

Call. Do not bother with this website, they never update it.

To others: if I were you I wouldn't post the secondary link on here (even though unauthorized individuals can't access it now) because there were major problems with this a few weeks ago and the adcom is keeping a close eye on this website I think.

woops, read that wrong, sorry!
has AACOMAS officially verified you? and have you gotten other secondaries?? If so, then i would give the admissions office a call and simply ask. MSUCOM was the first secondary i got once I was verified.
If you are not verified yet, it is taking closer to the 6 week mark to be verified by AACOMAS. Just turn it in as soon as you get it and you'll be a-okay. remember that there are different LOR forms though too!!

Haha, thanks so much! I am still processing... I am not sure why I never noticed that. I just kept checking to see if my transcripts were received and forgot about that part...

Hey guys!

MSUCOM will only accept the forms, although there is an option to have the person fill out the first and last page of the form and attach their letter, but it is not looked upon very highly (at least that is what I understand from my meeting with an admissions cousnelor there) and they will only accept the first two they receive. If you send more they will not be viewed.

Hey guys!

MSUCOM will only accept the forms, although there is an option to have the person fill out the first and last page of the form and attach their letter, but it is not looked upon very highly (at least that is what I understand from my meeting with an admissions cousnelor there) and they will only accept the first two they receive. If you send more they will not be viewed.

thanks for the info...to bad they don't accept additional letters :thumbdown:

Doesn't MSU start handing out acceptances next week?:confused: (1st week Sept.)

That would be great... but I don't know... I have a friend who was complete around Aug. and was still wait-listed... did get accepted about 2 weeks before classes started... so I have no idea how this works... anyone?

Good luck to all of you applying this year for entrance into the Class of 2013! I can remember how nerve racking it was! I believe they start reviewing soon especially now that the Fall semester is underway for all of us. Admission is on a rolling basis, usually the earlier you apply the better! They typically review on Tuesdays and send out acceptance emails on Wednesdays if that is helpful. We just received info on the Class of 2012 profile so here it is...

Applications 3167
Class Size 211
Females: 90
Males: 121
Youngest: 19
Oldest:38
Average Age: 24
MCAT Average 8.77
GPA 3.56
MI Residents:196
Out of State: 15

Good luck to all of you and if you are ever looking for information don't hesitate to PM me...we're busy trying to acclimate to the new Fall Semester this week and things are a little crazy but I do check email frequently and will try to get back to you as soon as I can. According to the 2nd years, the Fall is supposed to be our easiest semester but I swear every 1st week of the semester seems to make us all nuts as we try to adjust and get settled in! Hopefully once we're in full swing and used to the schedule it will settle out.

As for those of you that were all excited about the waiver exams for Biochem and Genetics, yes it is true they offer them, but experience shows that not many people take them, and those that do don't usually test out so unless you are really, really, really confident about your skills in those subjects don't get your hopes up! However, I am aware that we have a waiver exam for Biostats/Epidemiology and many study to take that one and succeed in order to not have to take the course that starts midway in the 1st semester! Besides the profs for Biochem are good and the course is well taught (at least this 1st week in my book and according to 2nd years!) Oh yeah, and the waiver for biochem and genetics is typically given in the few days we have in between the summer and fall and by then, you are burnt from Anatomy and looking forward to a few days of R&R and don't want to spend the last few weeks of anatomy studying for the waivers and definitely don't want to spend 1 of your precious days of freedom/vacation taking 2 freaking exams!!!

So I heard from this Dr. that the Detroit extension will come into effect in 2009 ... I"m surprised they don't make us choose one... are they just going to assign people randomly ??

Minea I had a very good chat with an admissions counselor back in May and she explained to me that once accepted they will ask you to rate your choices and will try to place you where your number one spot is. But once the any of the spots fill up they will obviously have to give you your second or third choice. So again the earlier you are complete the better. More time for you to be accepted. :) Good luck!

I am also applying here and it is one of my top choices :)

Thanks for that info... makes sense, except what do you mean with second or third choice... aren't there just two: Lansing or Detroit?

Yes, the school is great.... would love to go there!!!!!!!!!

I believe there is one other location for the satellite campus but I cannot remember for the life of me right now where it is going to be. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

I believe there is one other location for the satellite campus but I cannot remember for the life of me right now where it is going to be. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

east lansing, detroit, and macomb

Ahh.. I am insanely nervous right now.

Hey guys, I hope everything is going well with your applications!!! I have a question: does anyone have a working link to the secondary? I saw the links on this forum but it doesn't work for me. I don't have to re-apply this year, but my friend is applying and was asking about the secondary. Thanks, and if anyone has questions about the application process feel free to pm me!

Hey guys, I hope everything is going well with your applications!!! I have a question: does anyone have a working link to the secondary? I saw the links on this forum but it doesn't work for me. I don't have to re-apply this year, but my friend is applying and was asking about the secondary. Thanks, and if anyone has questions about the application process feel free to pm me!

Access to the new site is password protected. Plus, after you submit the secondary, applicants can no longer view it from their status page. Just tell your friend they are going to have to wait for MSU to send it to them.

Anyone heard anything about people being accepted yet? Also does anyone know if they are doing the same process as last year where they look through the applications on Tuesdays and send out acceptance emails on Wednesdays?

I got an email this morning from MSUCOM but it was an "incomplete reminder" (8/7 MCAT scores not in yet). Any complete applicants hear anything else?

Been complete since mid July and I haven't heard anything yet....Im getting anxious! I've been checking my email like crazy! Good luck everyone!!

hey guys,

i just received an admission offer for the class of 2013.
school is accepting students now.

good luck everyone.

:thumbup:

congrats guys! I am a first year MSUCOM student and it is amazing. It is a very busy, but exciting time. The one thing that I can truly say about MSUCOM is that we are really like a family. The faculty is great too. For anatomy lab, we usually had 2 or 3 professors with us and 5-10TA's too. Everyone is very helpful. If anyone has any questions, just send me a message.

I was working my shift in the ER when I checked my email (during break) and read the email from admissions offering me a seat in the Class of 2013!!! I was stoked, couldn't believe it happened so soon. The nurses I work with announced it over the intercom to the entire ER staff - too cool!! I'm blessed. Looking forward to meeting you guys! Congrats to everyone thus far.

Received my offer of admission today as well - very excited!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.