MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been to the visit day? I was accepted yesterday, after waiting for months I had kind of given up on MSU, but feel like I should go visit before making anymore decisions. Was the visit day helpful? How long were you there for? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been to the visit day? I was accepted yesterday, after waiting for months I had kind of given up on MSU, but feel like I should go visit before making anymore decisions. Was the visit day helpful? How long were you there for? Thanks in advance!

The visit day was nice, I was happy I went. It goes from about 11-3 if I remember right, with a free lunch in there. I think the biggest benefit was the chance to ask questions to both administration and current students. If you have the time, I would recommend going.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey, I am curious, were you accepted out right or were you taken off the alternate list?

Hey, I am curious, were you accepted out right or were you taken off the alternate list?

I was accepted out right. My application was complete in August though, so I have been waiting a loooong time for this. I'm pretty sure I am going to withdraw my acceptance though, so hopefully this helps someone on the alternate list out!

I was accepted out right. My application was complete in August though, so I have been waiting a loooong time for this. I'm pretty sure I am going to withdraw my acceptance though, so hopefully this helps someone on the alternate list out!

Have you been accepted at some other place?

So I am curious has anyone received a rejection letter in the mail yet? I have been complete since August and I haven't heard anything, so I am just wondering if I should expect that coming soon...

I'm an undergrad at MSU and I'm trying to decide if I want to apply, I've got an appointment with admissions at COM but it's not till the end of May (I guess they're busy). I was wondering if anyone knows what type of requirements they have regarding your batchelor's degree, because their site doesn't even say that one is required (the prerequisite I saw said 90 credits). Does anyone know what type of degrees they're looking for, and if you even need to have a degree to apply? The degree I'm almost finished with is a BA in Philosophy.

I'm an undergrad at MSU and I'm trying to decide if I want to apply, I've got an appointment with admissions at COM but it's not till the end of May (I guess they're busy). I was wondering if anyone knows what type of requirements they have regarding your batchelor's degree, because their site doesn't even say that one is required (the prerequisite I saw said 90 credits). Does anyone know what type of degrees they're looking for, and if you even need to have a degree to apply? The degree I'm almost finished with is a BA in Philosophy.

I think it's atypical for someone to be admitted without a bachelor's, even though they don't explicitly require it. Also I think science majors are more common but you would not be at a disadvantage with a BA in Phil, as long as you have ALL the required science courses. They would probably be looking for any additional science courses (e.g. microbiology) to see how you perform in upper level classes. Other than that it's just the typical GPA, MCAT, and EC considerations. Hope this helps!

P.S. I am an incoming member of the class of 2013 so I am somewhat familiar with the admissions process.

I was offered a spot on the waitlist this year and guaranteed for 2014, which is just fine with me. I figure I've waited this long, one more year is nothing. I have been complete since September and hadn't heard anything until today, so don't lose hope if you haven't gotten any news. Anyone else going to accept the class of 2014 offer without taking your chances with the waitlist this year?
I have this offer also...and I'm thinking about taking the 2014 offer...

I figure it would be a relaxing year off knowing you have a spot.

Does anyone know if any applicants that live in Michigan have been rejected? Just trying to figure out if they put everyone from Michigan on the waitlist or if they actually reject some?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure they'll take more. Thanks for the congrats everyone. This is my third application cycle, it feels good to be in somewhere. That being said, I haven't made a final decision as to whether I'll defer until next year, (OOS tuition reasons.) Thanks though and good luck to everyone else.

I'm sure they'll take more. Thanks for the congrats everyone. This is my third application cycle, it feels good to be in somewhere. That being said, I haven't made a final decision as to whether I'll defer until next year, (OOS tuition reasons.) Thanks though and good luck to everyone else.

Are you going to try to come to the state for a year to gain in state tuition by the time class starts?

Are you going to try to come to the state for a year to gain in state tuition by the time class starts?

Probably. Like I said, I haven't decided yet, but that is definitely an option. My sister-in-law and her husband pulled it off a few years ago, but they said that it was anything but straightforward.

Question:

MSU COM does not require Analytical Chemistry(aka Gen Chem II) right?

Question:

MSU COM does not require Analytical Chemistry(aka Gen Chem II) right?

Isn't Chem II required for Organic? Analytical Chem is an upper level course after Chem I and Chem II at my school.

Isn't Chem II required for Organic? Analytical Chem is an upper level course after Chem I and Chem II at my school.

Well it all depends on what you mean - you typically need a full year of inorganic before going onto organic. So I guess you could count those semesters as being I and II. But analytical in any form is not required by MSUCOM. They want a combined 16 credit hours of inorg, org, and biochemistry. Refer to the website for more info.

Well it all depends on what you mean - you typically need a full year of inorganic before going onto organic. So I guess you could count those semesters as being I and II. But analytical in any form is not required by MSUCOM. They want a combined 16 credit hours of inorg, org, and biochemistry. Refer to the website for more info.

The poster asked about Gen Chem II though. Chem II in some places may be called "analytical" something (mine was called Qualitative Analysis), but it was still Gen Chem II. If it's Chem II, it's probably not the same as the upper level analytical chem and is probably required for Organic.

I'm assuming this is like Bio I sometimes being called Cellular & Molecular Biology. It's still Gen Bio I and not really the same as upper level Cell Bio.

I have this offer also...and I'm thinking about taking the 2014 offer...

I figure it would be a relaxing year off knowing you have a spot.

Will MSU allow you to do that?

I deferred recently until 2010. I'll be moving out to MI later on to work for a year and hopefully gain in state-residency. Good Luck.

hi everyone...i am planning on applying within a couple months...im taking my mcat this july so right after that...for aug/sept 2010 class. I have pretty much all the required courses except GENETICS...so when i apply this summer i wont have that...would they allow me to take it in the fall or winter? wud they still give me admission provided that i will finish genetics before next year?

please let me knowww thanx

hi everyone...i am planning on applying within a couple months...im taking my mcat this july so right after that...for aug/sept 2010 class. I have pretty much all the required courses except GENETICS...so when i apply this summer i wont have that...would they allow me to take it in the fall or winter? wud they still give me admission provided that i will finish genetics before next year?

please let me knowww thanx

yes. you will just have to put it as a planned course in AACOMAS so they are aware that you plan to take it. if accepted, it will then be contingent on you successfully finishing your coursework.

thanx. i have another question...does MSU require u shadow a DO? ive never shadowed a physician...but will be shadowing sum next month...most probably MD...but not DO! wud that be a problem?

I was waitlisted and guaranteed a seat for next year (2010). I got an email Tuesday saying that I was accepted for this year! Woohoo!! I just don't know which site I'll be at yet.

thanx. i have another question...does MSU require u shadow a DO? ive never shadowed a physician...but will be shadowing sum next month...most probably MD...but not DO! wud that be a problem?

No, shadowing an MD would be fine if you can't get hooked up with a DO. Many DO schools require at least one letter of recommendation from a DO, but MSU does not. They will, however, be looking to see if you understand and embrace the osteopathic philosophy in their secondary application. Good luck.

I was waitlisted and guaranteed a seat for next year (2010). I got an email Tuesday saying that I was accepted for this year! Woohoo!! I just don't know which site I'll be at yet.

Congrats! I believe East Lansing still has a wait list, so most likely you'll be at one of the two SE MI sites.

Congrats! I believe East Lansing still has a wait list, so most likely you'll be at one of the two SE MI sites.

I heard the EL site has been full for about 3 or so months. I would love to attend the Detroit site though, since it is closer to home.

they dont require it, but it would be to your advantage

hey guys, I got into MSU-COM but deferred for a year. I wanted to know when I can expect that email confirming my decision to attend/paper work?

Status
Not open for further replies.