MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msudo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is sombody want to apply MSUCOM in this year?

Members don't see this ad.

If I am in the application cycle again, I will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is somebody had written Personal Essay already? I don't know how to write this essay, can somebody give me some suggestions or examples? Thanks a lot!:)

Is somebody had written Personal Essay already? I don't know how to write this essay, can somebody give me some suggestions or examples? Thanks a lot!:)

Check this thread and the other threads it lists. You may find more using the search function as each year there are many questions about personal statements.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=817324

When I started mine, I found it easy to begin by just writing without restraint. I put down on paper whatever came into my mind, without worrying about proper grammar, punctuation, etc. My initial draft ended up being about 5 pages of stream of consciousness paragraphs, outlines, and bullet points. From there I just worked on it for a few months, focusing on how to streamline it into a (much shorter) and cohesive statement. I had 7 or 8 drafts before I was finally finished--give yourself as much time as you can to work on this, so don't put it off any longer. Make it interesting and use meaningful personal examples on what led you to want to become a physician. Have a lot of different people look at it--family, friends, an advisor, PS readers on here (ask them first!), etc.

ok..umm i have a q.. so, i had applied last year as well to MSUCOM.. except, it was very late..i'm talking early november here that i even submitted the primary...and then, sadly, there was some prob with my references..didn't work out..so i wasnt able to send in my secondaries.. ofcourse, my file was closed.. :$ i'd then started considering int.' schools, just becuz last year i wasn't ready to apply, but this year after having volunteered at the hospital right besides a physician i really felt that i WANT to be a doc (i'm afriad to say, i wasn't this motivated before..sadly.) but anywayz, i'm pretty sure now wht i want to do. so, .. how will this effect my app this year... ? shud i mention this in my personal statment, the details of why i cudnt send in secondaries..? :S

If you apply very early, you could definitely have a chance. COM's required courses only have to be done by the time you matriculate, so just indicate on your AACOMAS app that you'll be taking them. Do very well in those courses.

Honestly, you do sound like a half serious applicant for applying late and then not bothering to send in your secondaries--some of this perception might be influenced from the way you're typing though--but there is a section in the secondary where you can explain this if you don't put it in your personal statement. And please, for your sake, before you spend the money and make the commitment, be absolutely certain you're more than "pretty sure" that you want to do this...or at least don't write that in your PS.

How many EC hours do you have? What exactly are the reasons you couldn't send in your secondaries? MSUCOM's secondary is a bit of an annoyance for everyone in that they often have to go back to their letter writers to have them fill out the eval forms. If it's something like that..be careful of how you word your reasoning as you don't want to sound like you're coming up with excuses or whiney. I would have been complete by August, but one of my letter writers was really dragging her feet--didn't get it in until October! Admissions was cool about it though, i'm sure it's pretty common.

Anyways, good luck! Just be absolutely sure this the career you really want!

Word of advice, improve on your application and DO NOT resend the same personal statement etc. They're going to have your previous primary and they will compare the two. Your GPA is right in line and your MCAT is competitive, so don't worry about those. Make sure your LOR writers don't burn you, get them submitted ASAP (before the end of August)

Also no offense intended here, based on your posts it seems like English is not your primary language (which is fine) - consider having someone proofread your essays because a secondary full of grammatical errors shows you put little effort into it.

Also: The 2010-2011 thread is full of solid advice and information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to one of the MSUCOM advisors...you can find a listing of their email addresses on the site. They're all great, but Katie Molina is a popular favorite. She'll be able to give you some better insight on your personal circumstances and how it'll be received by adcom.

*If you email an advisor, make sure to write it professionally... :) I second Everglide's advice as well.

An interesting new policy for Canadian applicants:

MSUCOM has set a new target of accepting 25 Canadians/year for the next five years. The ultimate goal is to help establish a new osteopathic school somewhere in Canada. So if you're Canadian, this will give you a substantial advantage in applying.

Also the preclinical curriculum is going to be completely revamped and more integrated by Summer 2012... It's something worth asking about with admissions and on tours.

Hehe, so you were at the class meeting too eh?

An interesting new policy for Canadian applicants:

MSUCOM has set a new target of accepting 25 Canadians/year for the next five years. The ultimate goal is to help establish a new osteopathic school somewhere in Canada. So if you're Canadian, this will give you a substantial advantage in applying.

Also the preclinical curriculum is going to be completely revamped and more integrated by Summer 2012... It's something worth asking about with admissions and on tours.

I wonder how this will affect the incoming class - will we have half of the old system and half of the new system?

MSU-COM is my first choice as well! Good luck to everyone.

MSU COM is my top choice program too.

So I am applying this season to DO schools but do not have a LOR from a DO or an MD. From what I've read, MSU-COM does not require a LOR from a physician. I was thinking about applying here, except that I am not from Michigan. Should I apply regardless of the high tuition for out-of-state students ($73k+)? And does anyone know how many out of state students they accept each year? My stats are: sGPA: 3.13 (it will go up after this summer), cGPA:3.53, waiting on the MCAT score. I have a lot of EC/leadership experience and have done an internship at a hospital last summer and will be doing one again this fall. Thanks!

So I am applying this season to DO schools but do not have a LOR from a DO or an MD. From what I've read, MSU-COM does not require a LOR from a physician. I was thinking about applying here, except that I am not from Michigan. Should I apply regardless of the high tuition for out-of-state students ($73k+)? And does anyone know how many out of state students they accept each year? My stats are: sGPA: 3.13 (it will go up after this summer), cGPA:3.53, waiting on the MCAT score. I have a lot of EC/leadership experience and have done an internship at a hospital last summer and will be doing one again this fall. Thanks!

MSU highly prefers IS students, so you might have a tough time getting in with those stats, unless you MCAT is pretty high.

I decided to apply this cycle....why not.....lol
I hope i'm one of the only Canadians applying this yr so my competition for that 25spot isn't too bad lol

I heard that they don't give out secondaries till July? Im not sure if this is true though....

Do you guys think the prompt will be the same as last year's?

("Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?")

I'd like to be an overachiever and start on mine if it's the same topic. :)

Don't know what the point is of me posting this really, but MSU is my #1 as well! Applying this cycle. Best of luck :)

Last edited:
Hey guy =) submitted my primary to MSUCOM (first choice!) like 6/1 lol but anyways ...

I'm an in-state applicant and I've heard that MSUCOM has a particularly high bias towards in-state applicants... Is this true or was some just trying to make me happy? lol

Hey guy =) submitted my primary to MSUCOM (first choice!) like 6/1 lol but anyways ...

I'm an in-state applicant and I've heard that MSUCOM has a particularly high bias towards in-state applicants... Is this true or was some just trying to make me happy? lol

It says they give strong in-state preference on the msu com website :) They seem big on admitting people that want to work in Michigan (particularly in the rural areas) after finishing.

It says they give strong in-state preference on the msu com website :) They seem big on admitting people that want to work in Michigan (particularly in the rural areas) after finishing.

Yeah I saw that on the site, I was more asking for some stats to back that up like the % of in-state applicants accepted vs the number of in-state applicants that applied... I know thats a pretty vague and obscure question, but I figured hey if some had the info I wouldn't mind knowing the answer lol... but the most important thing is my applications and what I begin to the table ... in state or not. I was just curious =)

MSU is a public, state-funded school, so they're obligated to have an in-state bias.

I am applying... 27Q MCAT(7VR/10BS/10PS)
3.8 Total Undergrad(with post-bach)
3.91 masters GPA
3.97 Post bachelor GPA (44 credits)

BSEE/MBA degrees.

Hoping to get in :)

Last edited:
anyone got any communcation from MSU COM this year yet? or a secondary?

I am applying... 27Q MCAT(7VR/10BS/10PS)
3.8 Total Undergrade(with post-bach)
3.91 masters GPA
3.97 Post bachelor GPA (44 credits)

BSEE/MBA degrees.

Hoping to get in :)

Awesome! Good Luck I think you'll be a shoe in =)

Hey guys,

First of all good luck to everyone! I am a re-applicant from last cycle every thing was good but my MCAT score sucked it 17 & 16 (retake). Just got my most recent score today 25Q BS: 10 VR: 8 PS: 7. I am in state went to MSU for four years and have a 3.66 sGPA (Chemistry BA). Got a 3.90 GPA in my 300 & 400 level science classes with a 4.0 in Advanced Biochemistry. I have a letter of rec from a DO that went to MSU and I spent a year with her. ~1500hrs volunteering, ~1600hrs extracurricular, & ~7000hrs paid work (I am super poor). If you guys could give me your opinions I would appreciate it.

Thank You

With good ECs and a compelling story, what do you think is the lowest MCAT that MSUCOM would consider with a cGPA of 3.44? I am awaiting my scores to come back in mid-July and freaking out :scared: my practice test scores ranged everywhere from 26 to 34 with almost no consistency. I'm freaking out!!

With good ECs and a compelling story, what do you think is the lowest MCAT that MSUCOM would consider with a cGPA of 3.44? I am awaiting my scores to come back in mid-July and freaking out :scared: my practice test scores ranged everywhere from 26 to 34 with almost no consistency. I'm freaking out!!

I have heard of people that get in with 22-24

There is really good information on the website concerning MCAT. Check out rumour mill!

I have heard of people that get in with 22-24

My GPA is 3.97, but I very worried about the MCAT that I will take next month 16th, because English is my second language and I didn't take Organic Chemistry 2, I think I am not ready for the MCAT, is MCAT very difficult? Do you how what's the lowest MCAT score do MSUCOM accept? Thanks a lot!

I receive the supplemental appication today and dealine is Aug 5th, is somebody receive also?

Did any Canadian applicants receive the secondary yet?

just checking. MSU doesn't interview applicants? just the secondary?

I was told that MSU only interviews those who they are unsure about, which is a select few. Other than that, they base their decisions on the primary and secondary apps.

Also, I'm from MI and haven't gotten my secondary yet.
LAME.