MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am Canadian and I got accepted into the DO school for 2017. Just wondering if it's possible to switch into the combined program? ie. DO-PHD. Anybody currently in the combined program?

Members don't see this ad.

I am Canadian and I got accepted into the DO school for 2017. Just wondering if it's possible to switch into the combined program? ie. DO-PHD. Anybody currently in the combined program?

I am starting this summer in the joint DO-PHD program.

They do allow transfers into the program:
Students enrolled in osteopathic medical colleges in the United States may apply to transfer to MSUCOM and be considered for admission to the DO-PhD Physician Scientist Training Program at MSUCOM after the completion of the first two years of medical education.

Link: http://www.com.msu.edu/research/PhD-Admissions.html

I'd email them regardless and express an interest. They are very friendly and helpful.

As far as I know, They are done accepting students for this year for sure.

I can give you a quick walk through of the process:
You have to request to apply and are screened by the director of the program. Then you are notified wether you are a good candidate to apply to the program. After that, you have to be accepted to the graduate school, you go through a "recruitment weekend" (more like a 2nd look equivalent for medical schools) of interviews and give a brief presentation of your prior research experiences. Following this you are notified some time later wether you've be accepted, the Dean of the school has to approve you, the director of the program makes a case for each student.

They have slightly higher requirements than the regular DO program:
MCAT 29-32 3.6 GPAc. GRE's can be waived for certain MCAT scores. Research experience is a must.

They say 8 years to complete. Likely it will be closer to 9 yrs. Tuition is reduced by 49% of in-state tuition and you get a stipend of $28,000 or some nonsense for the whole program, increases to keep up with inflation every year. You can potentially graduate with a quarter of the debt of a in-state student and significantly less than an out of state student. There are a lot of loan pay back programs after graduating to cover what remains.

I was also class of 2017. But got accepted into the joint program and start my PHD component this year and medical school the following. So the delayed admissions worked out nicely with the sequencing of the program.

Good luck!

Hi all-I've been on the high wait-list since December and I'm still waiting. I know that in past years people were able to find out if they were in the top 10 applicants on the wait-list. Anyone know if they are also doing that this year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get pulled from the wait-list in the past week?

Does anyone know for MSUCOM's additional biological sciences requirements (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, etc.) they accept 300 level as well as 400 level classes?

Does anyone know for MSUCOM's additional biological sciences requirements (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, etc.) they accept 300 level as well as 400 level classes?

Anatomy, physiology, microbiology are not required. Only upper level bio classes that are required are Biochemistry and Genetics. And it does not matter whether or not they are 300 or 400 level classes as long as it is biochem and genetics.

Hi there

Would people at the 3 different sites (EL, Detriot, Macomb) mind sharing their experiences and the pros and cons of each site, and what they prefer and why? (in terms of safety, convenience, financial, opportunities), any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
So was there any movement on the wait list. Did any one get accepted this week..! please let me know which priority as well. if that's what its called (regular vs high).

So was there any movement on the wait list. Did any one get accepted this week..! please let me know which priority as well. if that's what its called (regular vs high).

Not movement these past row days... Which list are you on and what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to pm me

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SDN Mobile

Hi there

Would people at the 3 different sites (EL, Detriot, Macomb) mind sharing their experiences and the pros and cons of each site, and what they prefer and why? (in terms of safety, convenience, financial, opportunities), any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
------------------
Yes, can someone please elaborate on these because I am on the same boat. I deferred my acceptance but would also like to know comments from everyone. I've visited all 3 and I am leaning more towards EL but I thought Fee hall seems too old of the building and too hot (lol). I heard parking is bad too :(
TIA :)

is Fee Hall the residence for med students? what's the facilities like? are there off campus condos avail in EL?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying here this year but I am concerned with the OOS tuition? Are scholarships available to OOS students with decent stats? How much does the scholarships help with cost? Are there any OOS students who received scholarships to help and what was your stats (if you don't mind)? The school seems great but the costs are scary because I am not a resident. Thanks.

Withdrew my acceptance this morning. Lets get that wait list moving!

Wow about a week passed and no word. 1 withdrew.
Thats great but i expected at least 2 lol. Still not giving up ��:xf:

Hello MSUCOM class of 2016,

I highly recommend you to get Anatomy Survival Guide if the studdy buddy/SGA/?? still sell it. It tremendously helped me.

Also, buy First Aid early and start using it from the first year. It's one thing I regret now

Any more high wait-list movement? I called 10 days ago and found out I was in the top ten. I haven't been accepted so it must be moving very slow, if it's moving at all.

is Fee Hall the residence for med students? what's the facilities like? are there off campus condos avail in EL?

fee hall was a dorm i believe WAYYYYYYYYY back. if you want graduate housing there are places, but most people i knew lived off campus. you're in a college town so housing is available as cheap or as expensive as you want, depending on what you're looking for.

I am a Canadian student accepted to MSUCOM looking for housing at East Lansing. Kijiji does not work in the US, what are some good websites to look for rentals?

I was considering getting a sublet place just for the summer so that I have a better idea of what i will need starting September. Is that a good idea?

I am a Canadian student accepted to MSUCOM looking for housing at East Lansing. Kijiji does not work in the US, what are some good websites to look for rentals?

I was considering getting a sublet place just for the summer so that I have a better idea of what i will need starting September. Is that a good idea?

I would advise you to AVOID any DTN properties. Maintenance sux. They treat tenants like crap. I'm pretty sure many tenants will agree on that. ONly reason why there are so many people living in DTN properties (Glenwood and Berrytree for example) is DTN owns pretty much 90% all apartments in E.Lansing.

It's a bit pricey but my friends like The Lodge. Or... Eyde properties are good too. You can get a free parking pass thru them. Other than those two...hmm.... u should just search for it I guess. As you live closer to campus, the rent is more expensive and the quality sux. It can get noisy on the weekend. As you live further from campus, less expensive and more quiet. However you should drive a longer distance.

Google The Lodge & Eyde companies

I've got a question for the group about financing medical school.

I'm in the unique position of (probably) being able to apply for a FAFSA unsubsidized loan to finance MSUCOM or being from Canada, taking out a bank loan. From what I've read and from the brief conversations I've had with Canadian banks... the interest rates Canadian banks give is much more competitive vs what FAFSA is offering.

Any opinions? With these unsubsidized loans now for medical students, I don't really see any benefit in them (vs a traditional bank loan). Seems to be like wherever you can get the cheapest interest rate, is the place you should use. Am I missing something??

OSAP here in ontario for example, sometimes automatically considers students for their loan forgiveness programs and more than 1/2 of the people I know who borrowed money from the Gov't did NOT have to pay the full amount back. In some cases it was as much as 1/2 off! Do the US gov't loans offer any sort of forgiveness? (I'm not looking to spend time in the military or move to a small rural US town after school etc.).

Anyways, thoughts if you were able to choose either a FAFSA loan or a CDN bank loan at probably 1/2 the interest rate?

Put this in the MSUCOM thread as I know a lot of Canadians hang out here :p

Just received an offer of admission. I've been on the high waitlist since January. I will be deferring. Good luck peeps!

so is there anyone in a high priority still waiting. i dont think there is much movement

Hi Everyone,

I was placed at the Macomb site and was put on the waiting list for the DMC. I got a call from Robin this morning telling me a spot has opened at the DMC and I have until noon to make my decision. I live in Macomb so its definitely a lot closer, but I was thinking the DMC has more opportunities to branch out and meet other people in the medical field (that might help down the road when applying to residencies). What do you guys think?

PS I'm assuming the actual wait list for admission may have just moved since a spot opened up!

so is there anyone in a high priority still waiting. i dont think there is much movement
I was offered a spot on Tuesday but I had been in the top ten of the high waitlist for over two weeks. I believe there are still high wait listers waiting.

Sweet. That's great. I hope it moves faster. Last year I heard that all of the high wait list was in a month before orientation.

Hey everyone I found out I'm in the top ten about two days ago but I've heard they will be no long accepting students as of tomorrow! Any confirmation on this? I've heard of so many stories where people have been called the day before orientation and gotten accepted so I find it hard to believe that wouldn't apply this year but then again things sure have been different this year :/

Hey everyone I found out I'm in the top ten about two days ago but I've heard they will be no long accepting students as of tomorrow! Any confirmation on this? I've heard of so many stories where people have been called the day before orientation and gotten accepted so I find it hard to believe that wouldn't apply this year but then again things sure have been different this year :/

You're right. They said that they were no longer accepting people off the waitlist. This is pathetic and every1 that was on the regular waitlist basically got rejected. I wish I got rejected along time ago then to deal with this crap. They should have never started this waitlist if they accepted so many people that are interested in allopathic schools that would leave in heart beat once school starts.
Peace

Last edited:
I don't think they do, they're done accepting so if you've haven't been accepted I'm assuming it's a silent rejection unless you were guaranteed acceptance next year

Ohhh I didn't know that. Makes sense I suppose. Thanks.

I would advise you to AVOID any DTN properties. Maintenance sux. They treat tenants like crap. I'm pretty sure many tenants will agree on that. ONly reason why there are so many people living in DTN properties (Glenwood and Berrytree for example) is DTN owns pretty much 90% all apartments in E.Lansing.

It's a bit pricey but my friends like The Lodge. Or... Eyde properties are good too. You can get a free parking pass thru them. Other than those two...hmm.... u should just search for it I guess. As you live closer to campus, the rent is more expensive and the quality sux. It can get noisy on the weekend. As you live further from campus, less expensive and more quiet. However you should drive a longer distance.

Do you know which of these properties are closest walking distance and proximity to grocery/banks for MSUCOM students? (Glenwood, Berrytree, Lodge, and Eyde) sorry, I haven't visited EL yet so I'm not sure where I would mostly have classes in terms of where they are located on campus.

Is it mostly undergrad students at the lodge or a lot of med students there as well? anybody know what the noise level is like?

hey guys, it's been a while since I've been in school. I'm taking a year off to apply to msucom. I'm also thinking of auditing a few classes as a refresher, I was wondering if current msucom students have any advice on which topics/books would be good to audit so I won't be too behind once class starts. Thanks!

Last edited: