MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I receive the supplemental appication today and dealine is Aug 5th, is somebody receive also?

I got my secondary from MSU COM today.

When did you submit and when were your apps released?

Members don't see this ad.

Dont feel bad I am from MI and went to MSU for undergrad I am sure most of us will get a secondary sometime this week or next...my friend just had her white coat ceremony here at State and she said they dont even start doing stuff for the next class until that is all done. Good luck everyone!!!!!!

Can someone post the secondary questions? and the evaluations form please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you guys mind sharing the essays for this year's secondaries? It would be a huge help. Thanks

Yea If you guys don't mind sharing the essays for this years secondaries, that would be awesome. I kind of submitted my primary late :( and want to have the secondary done before it arrives. That way I can send it right back and don't lose my chance to be accepted.

Are the majority still waiting for this secondary??

Couldn't find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know where to send the letters of recommendation? Couldn't find that on the site either. :confused:

I'm thinking of putting MSUCOM on my list. Anyone know if it's possible to get in state tuition by year 2? Or are you stuck paying OOS tuition all four years?

I'm thinking of putting MSUCOM on my list. Anyone know if it's possible to get in state tuition by year 2? Or are you stuck paying OOS tuition all four years?

A lot of OOS students get a scholarship that basically gives them IS tuition.

Nobody wants to share the secondary essay prompt? Cmon:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't find the answer anywhere. Does anyone know where to send the letters of recommendation? Couldn't find that on the site either. :confused:

If I am correct, then MSU does not take any LOR's. They require you to get two evaluation forms filled out, which come with your secondary application.

This was last year's:

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Personal Essay
Background: DOs rely on their skills in empathy, interviewing and active listening to gather the information they need to provide optimal holistic care to their patients. They are trained to use a whole body approach to diagnosis and treatment. Touch is an integral part of osteopathic care, be it a handshake, a steadying hand on the shoulder, the use of palpation during a structural exam or treatment with osteopathic manipulation. DOs empower their patients by providing education, mentoring and motivation. Patients of DOs rarely leave the office without homework assignments. The doctor/patient relationship here is truly a partnership.

Essay Instructions: On a separate sheet of paper, please discuss the topic listed below. Your response should total no more than one page and the font size must not be smaller than 10 pt. Include your name and e-mail address at the top right hand corner of the page.

* Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

your welcome folks :)

This was last year's:

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Personal Essay

Background: DOs rely on their skills in empathy, interviewing and active listening to gather the information they need to provide optimal holistic care to their patients. They are trained to use a whole body approach to diagnosis and treatment. Touch is an integral part of osteopathic care, be it a handshake, a steadying hand on the shoulder, the use of palpation during a structural exam or treatment with osteopathic manipulation. DOs empower their patients by providing education, mentoring and motivation. Patients of DOs rarely leave the office without homework assignments. The doctor/patient relationship here is truly a partnership.

Essay Instructions: On a separate sheet of paper, please discuss the topic listed below. Your response should total no more than one page and the font size must not be smaller than 10 pt. Include your name and e-mail address at the top right hand corner of the page.

* Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

your welcome folks :)

same this year..

Does anyone know if the evaluation forms filled out by our letter of recommendation writers have to be sent with the secondary application or does the evaluator mail directly to them? I was confused because in the evaluation form there is a section that the applicant have to fill out.

Does anyone know if the evaluation forms filled out by our letter of recommendation writers have to be sent with the secondary application or does the evaluator mail directly to them? I was confused because in the evaluation form there is a section that the applicant have to fill out.

Your letter writers send them in themselves. When I asked my letter writers to recommend me, I gave them each a pre-addressed envelope with postage so all they had to do was write the evaluation and drop it in the mail.

I finally got mine. :):D

For those still worrying, I called and found out that there is only one woman working there this month, so that's why it's been so slow. You will get yours soon, so you can breathe a little! (And this is coming from the world's biggest worrier, so that has to count for something...)

Last edited:
I was told that MSU only interviews those who they are unsure about, which is a select few. Other than that, they base their decisions on the primary and secondary apps.

Also, I'm from MI and haven't gotten my secondary yet.
LAME.

What? No interviews? Really? So, if I rock the MCAT and maintain my GPA...I should be okay for MSU? :xf:

What? No interviews? Really? So, if I rock the MCAT and maintain my GPA...I should be okay for MSU? :xf:

Scores are important but not the only thing - MSU doesn't usually do interviews because their secondary is very extensive - they have a specific prompt to answer for your PS, ask for all of your volunteer and employed hours since high school, and have a specific form for your letter writers to fill out.

If I haven't taken biochemistry or genetics, can I still apply here? In the AACOMAS manual it said these prerequisites were required but I can't find it on the MSU site.

Scores are important but not the only thing - MSU doesn't usually do interviews because their secondary is very extensive - they have a specific prompt to answer for your PS, ask for all of your volunteer and employed hours since high school, and have a specific form for your letter writers to fill out.

I know that scores aren't everything. ;)

So, would using interfolio for personal statments not be ideal for MSU LORs since they use their own forms? I would have to ask professors to fill out MSU's forms also? :eek:

If I haven't taken biochemistry or genetics, can I still apply here? In the AACOMAS manual it said these prerequisites were required but I can't find it on the MSU site.

I believe that you can still apply, but you must complete by the time that you start medical school. I could be wrong, tough. I will be in the same boat as you.

Yes you can still apply. If accepted, it will be conditional with completing biochem and genetics... with a decent grade.

So, would using interfolio for personal statments not be ideal for MSU LORs since they use their own forms? I would have to ask professors to fill out MSU's forms also? :eek:

You cannot use a LOR as a replacement for the secondary form. They're ridiculously specific and intensive because it replaces the entire interview process.

Just give your letter writers the forms and pre-addressed mail, it will be no problem for them. Also the secondary is ridiculously simple if you have a CV or resume already made, it will literally be just copy and paste if you have a good CV.

Yes you can still apply. If accepted, it will be conditional with completing biochem and genetics... with a decent grade.

You cannot use a LOR as a replacement for the secondary form. They're ridiculously specific and intensive because it replaces the entire interview process.

Just give your letter writers the forms and pre-addressed mail, it will be no problem for them. Also the secondary is ridiculously simple if you have a CV or resume already made, it will literally be just copy and paste if you have a good CV.

I just read MSU's information about LORs. It makes me feel better that I don't have to have them written by professors. I was dreading having to reask them if they would be willing to take more time out of their busy lives. At least, I can spread the love to other people -people who probably know me better than my professors do. These LORs sound very familiar to the ones that I had to have filled out for nurse-midwifery school. They should be easy enough. :)

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

I just read MSU's information about LORs. It makes me feel better that I don't have to have them written by professors. I was dreading having to reask them if they would be willing to take more time out of their busy lives. At least, I can spread the love to other people -people who probably know me better than my professors do. These LORs sound very familiar to the ones that I had to have filled out for nurse-midwifery school. They should be easy enough. :)

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

i really like your avatar, i want to by the dress for my love.

Just received confirmation that I was complete at msucom today! Now its a waiting game, good luck to all!

yeah, I sent mine back in on Wednesday and was complete today so apparently their moving quick! My evaluations were sent in on Monday and Wednesday as well. Good luck!

I believe that you can still apply, but you must complete by the time that you start medical school. I could be wrong, tough. I will be in the same boat as you.

Does anyone know how that will affect getting an interview/admission?
Are they more likely to overlook you if you dont have those additional courses already complete?

Does anyone know how that will affect getting an interview/admission?
Are they more likely to overlook you if you dont have those additional courses already complete?

I'm pretty sure as long as you complete them before you graduate, you are fine. Just make sure you indicate on your AACOMAS those courses that you are planning on taking. And if they ask in your interview (which I don't really see why they would?), you can say you are taking them soon.

Most DO schools recommend students to take Biochemistry and Genetics as they are higher level courses that will probably help them get a better understanding of how you might do in med school.

Just a few FYIs:

The new class of 2015 had an average gpa of 3.6, 26.5 MCAT. 15% OOS students, about 3900 applicants for 316 seats. Slightly more competitive than the year before.

Also see above, biochem and genetics are required for matriculation. You can be accepted without them but it will be a conditional acceptance that you must complete them both before starting. Good luck with your secondaries, they're worth completing.

Any current students on here who could give some insight on MSU's school culture, the area, etc? I'm an OOS student who is considering applying, but doesn't know much about this area at all. I would love any info from current students or applicants form the area I could get!

My app is finally complete! :D
Now I am going to be super idealistic and hope I get accepted on the first day they send out replies. :p:xf:

My app is finally complete! :D
Now I am going to be super idealistic and hope I get accepted on the first day they send out replies. :p:xf:

Congrats! I just tracked my app and it was received a few days ago. My second LOR is supposedly on the way, so I'm hoping to be complete by the end of the week.:xf:

does anyone know if msu-com accepts students with mcat scores in the lower 20s.. i have 3.5 science gpa 3.7 overall and well over a 1000 or 2000 volunteer hours community service, work.. etc.. also i am an in-state applicant

does anyone know if msu-com accepts students with mcat scores in the lower 20s.. i have 3.5 science gpa 3.7 overall and well over a 1000 or 2000 volunteer hours community service, work.. etc.. also i am an in-state applicant

I know of a 24 that graduated from MSU COM

finished my secondary application yesterday and hope to get in on the first group... then i can stop paying for all these other school application processes.

Just to make sure I am doing things correctly.....

Is the secondary really something you print out, complete, and mail in via snail-mail?????
So unheard of! Driving me crazy just downloading all the documents.

Thank you!