MSU secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starvinmarvinmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm still the process of filling out my secondaries and I'm coming across a problem. Alot of schools, like MSU ask for how much experience with DO's you have. Personally, I have worked with a family physician for a few hundred hours, but he is an MD. I was wondering how much this would affect my chances of gettin an interview. Also does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about explaining my experiences?? Anything will help thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you have to be honest about it - the hours you have are impressive, but without any DO experience... it may hurt you for DO schools. Especially MSUCOM, that's why they give that form. I would say fill it out, but do it fast because they like to have 90% of their class picked by December.. the sooner the better. Hope this helps. Interviews are not required at MSUCOM but they sometimes give them if "they have more questions". If you do get an interview, I would be very prepared for questions about DOs and whatnot. Probably will be important if you havent shadowed

i was accepted at MSUCOM without an interview and clearly stated on my secondary i had no shadowing experience at all, DO or MD.......
25 mcat, 3.4 gpa, tons of great EC's
good luck, and as stated before, hurry:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
i was accepted at MSUCOM without an interview and clearly stated on my secondary i had no shadowing experience at all, DO or MD.......
25 mcat, 3.4 gpa, tons of great EC's
good luck, and as stated before, hurry:oops:
same here, but i visited the school anyways. congratulations.

Hey guys,
Personally, I have worked with a family physician for a few hundred hours, but he is an MD. I was wondering how much this would affect my chances of gettin an interview.

There is no way you will be hurt for shadowing a MD. In fact many students I know of, used a MD letter and not a DO letter for DO Schools and they had interviews and acceptances. Writing down any healthcare related experience will not hinder your application in any shape, way, or form. However, be prepared at interview why you shadowed a MD and decided to go into DO instead. Its nothing to worry about, since its a relative it makes sense you spent so much time with him, but do not use him for Evaluation Letter, they do not allow a family relative to write one nor family physician. Read their FAQ in secondary.

Also does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about explaining my experiences?? Anything will help thanks

By experience, if you are refering to healthcare ones, explain what you have learned from it, ignore the typical 'I liked this and that b/c it was interesting, therefore I will make a good doctor essay'. You can choose to write about all, or concentrate on a few. But write it in chronological order. If you are refering to any type of experience, then I suggest you restrict your responses to ones that will be relevant to medicine. I don't think anyone cares that you collect stamps, although you can mention such things on interview, but try picking more interesting topics, not stamps.

If you need any help PM me. I know the admissions office quite well by now, I call them everyday LoL. They already can recognize who I am by my voice (that's how you know you call a school too much :laugh: .