MSU secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yummytummy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are essential skills to practicing osteopathic medicine?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are essential skills to practicing osteopathic medicine?

Thanks guys

I'm pretty sure no one here is going to write your secondary for you. It's one thing to query for ideas, its another to insult the others here by asking for them to do your work while not having researched the topic yourself. Sorry dude.

No thats not what I meant. Basically I'm asking what does an osteopathic medicine physician have different from a regular physician, what skills should an osteopathic doctor have?

No thats not what I meant. Basically I'm asking what does an osteopathic medicine physician have different from a regular physician, what skills should an osteopathic doctor have?

I think the general point these guys are making is that... getting in to medical school is hard enough already, so much so that it is almost insulting to come on here asking for what the fundamental principles of osteopathic medicine are. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but it's your own future man, and it'd really pay to do some research on something that you're gonna have to put so much work into (not only in med school but even in the whole app process). Again, this is your future career. The info you can get from SDN is awesome, but I'd suggest looking into the profession a bit- it's incredibly interesting, and you'll have loads to think and write about.

There are two hyuuuuuuge problems with your above statement. One, you consider an osteopath to not be a "regular doctor." The other being that you don't seem to know what skills an osteopath would need beyond those of their allopathic counterparts.

Both of these tell me you haven't researched osteopathic medicine much.

Find a post by ChocolateBear and make sweet intrawebz love to his signature.

Dude, are you just submitting the secondary for MSUCOM?

I'm sure you're aware that MSUCOM has a very fast acceptance policy; in the AOA information booklet I believe that it says that most of the class is filled by December. I don't know if you'd get accepted unless you had baller stats (3.9GPA, 36 MCAT) and 1,000 volunteer hours, etc.

It may not be worth the 80 dollars?

Actually I do have a 3.98 and a 31 MCAT....and on top of that I have a lot of research and volunteer. All I'm asking is what qualities does a DO physician have that an allopathic physician doesnt have...is that too much to ask. I guess this forum is a lot less helpful then the MD forum...

Actually I do have a 3.98 and a 31 MCAT....and on top of that I have a lot of research and volunteer. All I'm asking is what qualities does a DO physician have that an allopathic physician doesnt have...is that too much to ask. I guess this forum is a lot less helpful then the MD forum...

as far as qualities go... allopathic and osteopathic are both humans so they will have their natural human tendencies like personality and such. If you are asking for differences between allopathic and osteopathic, then you are looking at the way they treat. Honestly, I think both osteopathic and allopathic treat the same way. You can do a simple google search and read on the osteopathic principles and see how they relate to you personally. The only major difference between osteopathic and allopathic physician is that the osteopathic physicians are trained in osteopathic manipulation technique. Good luck with your secondary.

You really want to know what the difference is? In the end, it's one thing: DO's go to DO school because that's where their heart is. Seriously man, your only two posts that I have seen are asking about what DO's are all about, and what they're paid relative to MD's. I'm honestly not judging you at all, but cmon... people define their own qualities by their willingness to work and their choices, neither of which need be determined by a school (MD or DO).

You really want to know what the difference is? In the end, it's one thing: DO's go to DO school because that's where their heart is. Seriously man, your only two posts that I have seen are asking about what DO's are all about, and what they're paid relative to MD's. I'm honestly not judging you at all, but cmon... people define their own qualities by their willingness to work and their choices, neither of which need be determined by a school (MD or DO).

It is definitely where my heart is! When I first learned about osteopathic medicine, I knew it was for me and where I belonged :)

Dude, a physician is a physician. DOs and MDs have the same qualities overall, DOs just learn an extra skill during medical school and some incorporate that skill into their practice. That's the difference... the only difference.

Dude, a physician is a physician. DOs and MDs have the same qualities overall, DOs just learn an extra skill during medical school and some incorporate that skill into their practice. That's the difference... the only difference.

definitely...that was coming from the horses' mouths (by horses i mean the allopathic and osteopathic physicians that i shadowed, as well as from my parents who are physicians)...i dont consider them to be horses though.

I did notice that the osteopathic physician that i shadowed was more personable than the others, and he explained that his training in manipulation supplemented his palpating skills/methods. osteopathic physicians are actually in very high demand, at least in virginia beach, and in other areas that are short on primary care.

Then why didn't you just apply to MSU's MD school? Of course you don't have a 3.98, nor a 31 on the MCAT because you're unable to figure out the answer for this question on your own. I mean if you're going to troll, at least try to be clever about it. This is just dumb.

Are you a Michigan resident? Are you aware of OOS tuition at MSU?

I think he's just trying to find skills that are essential for osteopathic medicine.

I know what you are thinking; for example skills like compassion, patience, understanding etc, may be skills that are essential for both allopathic and osteopathic. But the question doesn't state that skills that are exclusively for osteopathic physicians, they can also be shared among the health professions. But I bet you can find other skills that are use by osteopathic physicians more than other health professions. J

Then why didn't you just apply to MSU's MD school? Of course you don't have a 3.98, nor a 31 on the MCAT because you're unable to figure out the answer for this question on your own. I mean if you're going to troll, at least try to be clever about it. This is just dumb.

Wow you can judge others really quickly...hope you dont use your current techniques as a doctor. I'll be the mature one and let that slide, but to answer your question, I didnt apply because no one told me that MD schools have such an early deadline...hope that answers your question :thumbup:

:idea: Initiative is an essential skill...