MSUCOM - Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey~ I went to MSU for my undergrad and am fairly hip to the local area. Feel free to drop me an IM (belars2000) or whatever if I can be of any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much, Lars!

Have any of you gotten a class schedule? I'm just curious as to what it looks like.

Hi everyone! I have one more question. Could anyone tell me a ballpark range on the financial aid budget for housing? It looks like it could be another week before I get my package, but I really need to start looking for housing now. Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Class Schedule:
FALL SEMESTER 2004
ANTR 551 001 6.00 OM Medical Gross Anatomy
BMB 514 001 3.00 OM Medical Biochemistry
BMB 526 001 2.00 OM Genetics
OMM 501 001 1.00 OM OMM I
OST 501 001 2.00 OM Clinical Skills I
OST 504 001 1.00 OM Doctor/Patient Relationship I
PSL 534 001 3.00 OM Cell Biology and Physiology I

SPRING SEMESTER 2005
HM 561 001 2.00 OM Basic Principles of Pathology
MMG 522 001 5.00 OM Medical Microbio & Immunology
NOP 552 001 4.00 OM Medical Neuroscience
OMM 502 001 1.00 OM OMM II
OST 502 001 2.00 OM Clinical Skills II
OST 505 001 1.00 OM Doctor/Patient Relationship II
PSL 535 001 4.00 OM Cell Biology and Physiology II

Budget:
http://finaid.msu.edu/med/budcom.asp

Hope this helps
daniel

Thanks, Daniel. That is seriously helpful to me. Does anyone know if we have class 8-5 everyday, or if it varies??

racystacey07 said:
Thanks, Daniel. That is seriously helpful to me. Does anyone know if we have class 8-5 everyday, or if it varies??
I'm not sure if it's exactly 8-5 everyday but there's certainly alot of classtime. That said, only certain lectures and obviously the labs are mandatory. Attendance is dictated by how well you learn best. I have a good friend in the program who just finished his first year having attended a total of maybe 4 or 5 non-mandatory lectures all year. The rest of the time he studied on his own because that's what worked for him.

I still don't know where I stand on this issue but I've already heard several people say that if they could have gone back and changed something in their education it would have been to attend less class to study on their own(which I find weird). Anyway, all the lectures are availiable online in .mp3 format should you choose not to go or review lectures already had. In addition, the scribe service gets you notes for all the lectures so it's possible not to be there and still get all the relevant info. I suppose it's really all a time management inssue. I'm probably going to attend most, if not all, of the classes myself but it's good to know that there is an alternative.

tastytreat said:
I'm not sure if it's exactly 8-5 everyday but there's certainly alot of classtime. That said, only certain lectures and obviously the labs are mandatory. Attendance is dictated by how well you learn best. I have a good friend in the program who just finished his first year having attended a total of maybe 4 or 5 non-mandatory lectures all year. The rest of the time he studied on his own because that's what worked for him.

I still don't know where I stand on this issue but I've already heard several people say that if they could have gone back and changed something in their education it would have been to attend less class to study on their own(which I find weird). Anyway, all the lectures are availiable online in .mp3 format should you choose not to go or review lectures already had. In addition, the scribe service gets you notes for all the lectures so it's possible not to be there and still get all the relevant info. I suppose it's really all a time management inssue. I'm probably going to attend most, if not all, of the classes myself but it's good to know that there is an alternative.

Tasty, thanks for the input. I guess I will just have to see what works best for me. Have a killer weekend!

"I suppose it's really all a time management inssue."

Words to live by tastytreat, seriously. i am going into second year here at MSU and can attest that going to class was quite helpful for me. i also know a few peeps like the one that you mentioned that did not, and they got by as well. its all a matter of how you learn best, and how well you can regulate yourself to studying. my class attendance was about 95% first term, dropped to 80% by second term (only b/c micro instructors sucked so bad) and was about 60% this summer, because i golfed alot. but thats just me. you need to get a feel for each instructor before you make the decision on whether their class is beneficial or not. take dr osborn, a physio instructor. i went to one of her classes and then never attended another again. why? b/c everything she wants you to know is readily accessible in her coursepack. other instructors, such as Dr. Wang (greatest man ever), you need to attend class becase he expects you to fill in your own notes, and being able to make your own self-explanatory notes is extremely helpful as his stuff gets complicated quickly. but thats just my opinion, there are more than 140 others, and be sure you ask as many as you can what their take on school is. i would suggest you not go into school thinking you will not attend class, and make the decision as you go. its different for everyone.

classes first term, should you choose to attend, are more or less 8-5 M-Th, mornings only friday. One afternoon histo lab (optional if you choose, but they lay out all the stuff for ya and its a good expenditure of your time), DPR one aft (mandatory), clinical skills one aft (mandatory), OMM one aft (mandatory), and then you got your new best friend anatomy lab, which is not mandatory but might as well be. all in all, you are gonna be busy. just plan on working really really hard for 15 weeks and then it gets ALOT easier after that. i figure if you polled my entire class not a single person would say spring or summer terms were harder than the first... good luck all, cya soon at orientation.

Hey! Are any y'all already in town? It could be fun to get together and meet some people before the before.

hey people, I'll be at CHM but we'll be taking classes together, so wanted to say whats up seeing as I might be MIA at lectures :D
Orientation for us starts sat, when do y'all start?