MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Indiana... I go to Purdue. Big game this weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait-listed again, sigh!!! I guess they just hate me :(

Edit: Congrats JPC, mind sharing your secret to so much success... LOOL

Members don't see this ad :)
could you post your stats please?
just wanna know the level of applicants currently being accepted.

Desi, I spoke with an admissions counselor at MSU yesterday, I'll send you some advice she gave me over PM.

I still have not received a decision yet...

I don't know why I was so successful... In the interviews I stressed hard work and tried to convey the message that I would fit in at their institution. I always smiled and had a good time.

My stats are 27 and 3.5 (3.4 science). I have had a 4.0 the last 4 semesters. I am OOS.

4.0 in last 4 semesters is excellent. I'm sure they loved the upward trend. Good job man!! now you can relax :)

July!!! so do not lose faith if you have not heard any news.

So does MSUCOM ever reject an application or do they just put everyone on the waiting list who has an interview?

Can anyone tell me how MSU looks at multiple MCAT scores? I got a 30p my first time (11v, 10p, 9b) and a 29q my second try (10v, 8p, 11b), and I'm currently trying to gauge my competitiveness. My GPA is a 3.1 but I've maintained a 3.7 for the last 4 semesters.

Your scores are both good!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is another decision coming up tonight. Hope some people (or me :oops:) get in this round!

Wohoo!!!! I got the e-mail for admission at 10:35 as well! soooooooo excited now. time to go call all the famliy :hardy:

good job guys!

congratulations guys! that's amazing and it must be a great relief. how long were you guys complete for before hearing about your acceptance?

Grats all!

so--- who's planning on accepting?!

Congrats everyone, on your acceptance. I got mine at 10:35 am this morning as well. I look forward to meeting you all! I was complete 11/6. Keep your heads up everyone, your time will come soon!

Congrats everyone, on your acceptance. I got mine at 10:35 am this morning as well. I look forward to meeting you all! I was complete 11/6. Keep your heads up everyone, your time will come soon!

You may just be in a class of mine...I am a new person at Central, taking extra classes after graduating from Michigan State last spring. Congrats!

has msucom started rejecting yet? i've been complete for two months now, and still no word =(

I was complete July and just found out last week I was accepted.

ive been complete for about 3 weeks now and i am starting to get a little nervous. i have interviews at three other schools, but this waiting game is killing me. i just want to get in somewhere and not have to do this process again.

congrats guys, you deserve it. msucom is an amazing school and i am sure you will have a great time there.

ive been complete for about 3 weeks now and i am starting to get a little nervous. i have interviews at three other schools, but this waiting game is killing me. i just want to get in somewhere and not have to do this process again.

congrats guys, you deserve it. msucom is an amazing school and i am sure you will have a great time there.

joeboxer... see the post right before yours...

Also, Is anyone visiting/or interviewing Tuesday the 20th?

I called the admissions office yesterday and they me that the committee is off for two weeks until December 4. I asked how many seats were left and she said that she was not permitted to release stats, but could tell me that some seats were left. Hope that helps for those who are still waiting.

If there are any OOSers planning on attending, will you be paying the $60,000/yr tuition?

I will, but it is ~51K w/ ~60,0000 budget which is less than CCOM.

I will, but it is ~51K w/ ~60,0000 budget which is less than CCOM.

Come again? Okay for a second, could you pretend like I'm stupid and explain that to me a little more? :oops:

Hey There!

I'm an OOSer. I like the school - got accepted lil while ago, but still waiting to hear back about DO/PhD program - that may factor into my deci$ion a little bit - so I'm different than most. Esp regarding the Fin Aid end of things. I think the grad program gets the med student discounted tuition and a stipend, but it IS 7 years in school vs the typical 4, and I'm not sure how the discount works for OOS!

haha

PS - totally random oddball question - I recently did a project in a health policy class that analyzed med-admissions (DO and MD) trends of all sorts across the US, some of it thus obviously went over stuff about background checks ---

which is why I wanted to ask you peeps something I found odd compared to other places - upon acceptance, did you guys get asked for a BC depo$it, but were never asked to fill out & sign an actual consent waiver for one that lets them run it?

I have a friend at MSUCOM who says they only do it at the end of 2nd yr before you start rotations. Does anyone else find it odd that they want the mula for it 2 yrs beforehand? LoL haha Quite random, I know - just found that odd. To me it's like the pizza guy wanting my 15 bucks 2 yrs before I put in the order for a couple of large pies! haha

Then again, MSU COM doesnt even interiew anymore, for the most part. That's also quite eccentric admissions wise! :) But it's a great school nonetheless, so who am I to complain!

GO SPARTANS! Here's to meeting possible new buddies!

Hey There!

PS - totally random oddball question - I recently did a project in a health policy class that analyzed med-admissions (DO and MD) trends of all sorts across the US, some of it thus obviously went over stuff about background checks ---
this sounds interesting...have you shared any of this in public yet?

which is why I wanted to ask you peeps something I found odd compared to other places - upon acceptance, did you guys get asked for a BC depo$it, but were never asked to fill out & sign an actual consent waiver for one that lets them run it?

I have a friend at MSUCOM who says they only do it at the end of 2nd yr before you start rotations. Does anyone else find it odd that they want the mula for it 2 yrs beforehand? LoL haha Quite random, I know - just found that odd. To me it's like the pizza guy wanting my 15 bucks 2 yrs before I put in the order for a couple of large pies! haha
Not accepted to MSUCOM yet, so I don't know about them, but in my acceptance packet to KCOM they explained that almost all of their sites for 3rd and 4th year require background checks. This has nothing to do with the school, it is hospital policy. So, the want you to get a background check within a month of accepting your admissions offer so that everything is out in the open.

I guess if you think about it, if you have something in your past that would prevent you from being able to work in a hospital come 3rd year, a school doesn't want to waste it's time training you during years 1 and 2.

They also explained that depending on the site, you may have to get more background checks before you start 3rd and 4th year. Seeing as I have worked with childern every year since 2002, I am use to getting background checks about once a year. If teachers, afterschool program workers and the like need to be investigated to work with vulnerable populations, it makes complete sense that doctors would have to get on too!

HD

It was an assignment for a grad-level health policy class - there were many topics available, but since I'm med-school oriented, I chose that one - med-school admissions practices - and I sent out identical surveys to tons of allo/osteo/Int'l admissions offices. The BC stuff was just one aspect I happened to look at :smuggrin: , given a recent article posted by the AAMC about their use of a company called Certiphi for background info on applicants, residents, etc.

You're exactly right by the way about not wanting to waste their educational time & resources - which is why the BC not happening til late into 2nd year doesnt seem to make sense to me from a purely logistical stand-point :confused:. Unless the MSUCOM gods find it more likely for someone to become a criminal mastermind in med-school than beforehand! :laugh: :thumbup: haha

Anyway - I'm bumping this thread! :luck:

Any one else hearing any good news. Best of luck to everyone, and hope everyone had an awesome turkey day!

:D

Hi guys. Everyone get the update email?

just reiterated the point that we start the last week of June.... again

yay... at least i get a month and a half off =)

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and lots of patience and good wishes for those that are waiting!

I am planning on visiting the school in a few weeks and wanted info about where to fly in, suggestions of places to stay...etc. It seems like there's this tiny airport in East Lansing and I couldn't find commerical flights going out there. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and lots of patience and good wishes for those that are waiting!

I am planning on visiting the school in a few weeks and wanted info about where to fly in, suggestions of places to stay...etc. It seems like there's this tiny airport in East Lansing and I couldn't find commerical flights going out there. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! :D

There's an airport in Lansing you could use. Here's the link to their website: http://www.flylansing.com/home/.

There's also a Mariott hotel in East Lansing that's really close to the school.

For those accepted or interviewed, when did you have your application finished? Mine was finished early september and I havn't heard anything. I'm wondering if I should make an appointment with admissions and just go in to talk and ask a few questions..

For those accepted or interviewed, when did you have your application finished? Mine was finished early september and I havn't heard anything. I'm wondering if I should make an appointment with admissions and just go in to talk and ask a few questions..

I was finished in late October. I would advise calling the admissions office to check on the status. Maybe even send a letter of interest if you just finished a class or started a new job. I was finished in early October for NYCOM and never heard anything.

to out of state applicants....

I had a phone appointment with Lorie and spoke with her regarding my application. According to her, they look for 3.5+ science/overall GPA, above 25MCAT, and about 300-400 hours of volunteer work for out of state applicants. just a little FYI for the OOS applicants...

Has anyone been accepted recently?? Geesh, when are they gonna finish filling the class?

Unfortunately, SDN isn't a complete sample. I don't know what to multiply the SDN acceptences by to get a true number. X5, X10, X1,000,000?

But, I sent in my deposit yesterday, so I am part of the class!