MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I finally did it. I sent in my deposit! Between MSUCOM and CCOM is was an easy choice for me. Unless something changes I'll be seeing some of you next summer! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

So, I finally did it. I sent in my deposit! Between MSUCOM and CCOM is was an easy choice for me. Unless something changes I'll be seeing some of you next summer! :hardy:

I made the same decision!

All Michigan schools are upsetting me. I was complete at MSUCOM in the middle of October, and I haven't heard anything back yet. The other schools have been silent too after I submitted my secondaries. However, out of state schools are giving me opportunities. I have already been accepted to DMUCOM and I have an interview coming up at West Virginia School of Medicine and I declined an interview at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. I wanna know where the love is for the Michigan residents?

Members don't see this ad :)
All Michigan schools are upsetting me. I was complete at MSUCOM in the middle of October, and I haven't heard anything back yet. The other schools have been silent too after I submitted my secondaries. However, out of state schools are giving me opportunities. I have already been accepted to DMUCOM and I have an interview coming up at West Virginia School of Medicine and I declined an interview at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. I wanna know where the love is for the Michigan residents?

I'm in a situation very similar to yours. graduated MSU, application completed in late september but no news, acceptances from DMU, NSU. and declined interview offer from wvsom. lol

I agree, it seems like there hasnt been very much in-state love from ANY of the MI schools, DO or MD. All the interview invites for MD seem to be going to kids with super high stats that arent state residents. Kinda sucks. I will be very happy with MSUCOM, the price tag is just a shocker :eek: Right now I'm in the middle of trying to work that part out...

I agree, it seems like there hasnt been very much in-state love from ANY of the MI schools, DO or MD. All the interview invites for MD seem to be going to kids with super high stats that arent state residents. Kinda sucks. I will be very happy with MSUCOM, the price tag is just a shocker :eek: Right now I'm in the middle of trying to work that part out...

The funny thing is.... us OOS applicants said the same thing... When are they looking at OOS. Oh, another IS student got in.

I'm in! I am so relieved! Merry Christmas to me! Now I can finally breathe. My first acceptance, just waiting to see what happens with CHM too before I make final decisions! But either way looks like I'll be a Sparty next year!!! Looking forward to meeting you all next year!

looks like I may end up a Spartan as well...GO GREEN!!! :luck: Very excited to meet all of you in June if we all end up headin to MSU...good times will be had :D

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who was complete so long ago but hasn't yet heard anything from MSUCOM, hehe.

Oh and congrats to all who got in :)

If you go through this thread, I was complete in July, early August and got the acceptance email Nov 7. That is a long time.

So I know a couple people on here have been talking about signing to live in Central Park next year. Since I'm still waiting to hear back from three schools that I'm interested in, I want to wait to sign a lease for next fall until I know for sure that I will be at MSU. Does anyone know how early Central Park fills up? Is it crazy early like the places near campus? Also, are there certain buildings where med students tend to live there? Any info would be great, I plan on getting over there some time over Christmas break to walk through one and talk to an office person if possible. I know I would want the Park Avenue version. Also, if people would rather PM me than post it up on here, that is cool. I'm just searching to see if any SDNers have some inside info!! Thanks!

So I know a couple people on here have been talking about signing to live in Central Park next year. Since I'm still waiting to hear back from three schools that I'm interested in, I want to wait to sign a lease for next fall until I know for sure that I will be at MSU. Does anyone know how early Central Park fills up? Is it crazy early like the places near campus? Also, are there certain buildings where med students tend to live there? Any info would be great, I plan on getting over there some time over Christmas break to walk through one and talk to an office person if possible. I know I would want the Park Avenue version. Also, if people would rather PM me than post it up on here, that is cool. I'm just searching to see if any SDNers have some inside info!! Thanks!

I heard a lot of med students live in Berrytree. If you were referring to buildings specifically in Central Park, then ignore my previous sentence.

I signed a lease in Central Park. Go do a walk through. They are amazing for the price. I'm on the third floor (vaulted ceilings and fireplaces). It's something like 450/mo. each for me and my roommate (Whaty on SDN).

Members don't see this ad :)
i noticed others have been sharing their frustrations with msu...i have been complete since 11/19 and have not heard a word. i'm really hoping i get an interview here. this is one of my top choices...do you guys have any idea when they fill the incoming class by? are interviews offered into next year? i sure hope so!!!

i noticed others have been sharing their frustrations with msu...i have been complete since 11/19 and have not heard a word. i'm really hoping i get an interview here. this is one of my top choices...do you guys have any idea when they fill the incoming class by? are interviews offered into next year? i sure hope so!!!

MSUCOM rarely interviews... they will send you an acceptance via email and an invitation to visit. They like to fill the class in December to January... Also, it took me about 3 to 4 months until I was accepted (or even heard a peep) so do not worry at this point. Are you a Mich resident? gl

NW ohio. almost right on the border...but that probably means nothing to them...

NW ohio. almost right on the border...but that probably means nothing to them...

I am an OOS as well. Through my SDN observational skills, it sounds like they do not accept IS and OOS in the same week (Wednesday morning notification). My hypothesis is OOS students compete with OOS every other two or three weeks. I could be wrong though.

Two things: first, for all of you getting worried about not hearing from MSU yet, please read back through the first few pages of this thread. It explains how they decide who to admit. I'm going to type up a short synopsis here, hopefully to put a few of your minds at ease to at least have answers. They use a formula to give you a point ranking; this is based on GPA, MCAT, volunteerism, and one other thing (probably EC's). They then take the top 20% EACH WEEK from all of the applicants. It doesnt really matter if youre from in-state or out-of-state. If you arent in the top 20% of applicants that they have at that time, they dont look at you at all yet. They then make decisions on that top 20%, to accept or throw back in the pile (I think some reapplicants will be rejected at this step if they know they dont want them). Those that get accepted will receive the acceptance email that week.

If you havent heard anything, that means that you have yet to be in the top 20%, most likely. This does not mean that you wont make it there, as they take what they consider the 'best fit' people first and then work down the list. They do fill the class mostly in December, and some in January. If you dont get accepted then, they place a decent number of people on the waitlist, and there is quite a bit of movement every year in the spring and summer. So yes, its getting kind of late, but it is far from over. Good luck to all of you waiting :luck:

The last thing is for speeter: did you get the park avenue? If you did, are some floors cheaper than others? I think I remember you saying thats the one you liked. Also, when did you sign roughly and did you have a decent amt of units to pick from? I hope I dont miss the boat by waiting so long, but what can ya do???

Two things: first, for all of you getting worried about not hearing from MSU yet, please read back through the first few pages of this thread. It explains how they decide who to admit. I'm going to type up a short synopsis here, hopefully to put a few of your minds at ease to at least have answers. They use a formula to give you a point ranking; this is based on GPA, MCAT, volunteerism, and one other thing (probably EC's). They then take the top 20% EACH WEEK from all of the applicants. It doesnt really matter if youre from in-state or out-of-state. If you arent in the top 20% of applicants that they have at that time, they dont look at you at all yet. They then make decisions on that top 20%, to accept or throw back in the pile (I think some reapplicants will be rejected at this step if they know they dont want them). Those that get accepted will receive the acceptance email that week.

If you havent heard anything, that means that you have yet to be in the top 20%, most likely. This does not mean that you wont make it there, as they take what they consider the 'best fit' people first and then work down the list. They do fill the class mostly in December, and some in January. If you dont get accepted then, they place a decent number of people on the waitlist, and there is quite a bit of movement every year in the spring and summer. So yes, its getting kind of late, but it is far from over. Good luck to all of you waiting :luck:

The last thing is for speeter: did you get the park avenue? If you did, are some floors cheaper than others? I think I remember you saying thats the one you liked. Also, when did you sign roughly and did you have a decent amt of units to pick from? I hope I dont miss the boat by waiting so long, but what can ya do???

I think IS and OOS matter. They accept a lot more IIS than OOS.

They form a waitlist depending on the date you want to move in. It costs 150 to get on the waitlist, but it goes towards your first month. I'm second on the waitlist for June 1 having visited in October. I'm not sure of the floor plan we chose (I just checked. It is the park avenue). The cost varies by floor for every type. The higher floors are slightly more expensive.

They form a waitlist depending on the date you want to move in. It costs 150 to get on the waitlist, but it goes towards your first month. I'm second on the waitlist for June 1 having visited in October. I'm not sure of the floor plan we chose (I just checked. It is the park avenue). The cost varies by floor for every type. The higher floors are slightly more expensive.

What happens if you don't get a place by June 1? Do you have to sign a sublease?

What happens if you don't get a place by June 1? Do you have to sign a sublease?

I commute :D. It's only an hour. My thinking is that I am already signing 23 days before classes, and they assured me that there was a high turnover rate in apartments that time of year, so I will probably not have an issue. We'll see how it goes.

Oh my god, they seriously arent even guaranteeing that you can sign a lease then? Forget that, I cant commute cuz I dont have anywhere else to live and I dont want to play that game...

Also, about the instate out of state issue, they factor that into the formula for ranking you into percentages. I didnt mean to imply that it doesnt play any kind of factor, but rather that they dont ONLY accept in-state people one week and out-of-staters a different week. It's just one more criteria they look at to determine the 'fit' of the applicant. One other point is that few of the out-of-staters that get in actually matriculate due to the price tag- they told us this on my visit day. They accept quite a decent number, but most of them decide to go elsewhere.

Oh my god, they seriously arent even guaranteeing that you can sign a lease then? Forget that, I cant commute cuz I dont have anywhere else to live and I dont want to play that game...

Also, about the instate out of state issue, they factor that into the formula for ranking you into percentages. I didnt mean to imply that it doesnt play any kind of factor, but rather that they dont ONLY accept in-state people one week and out-of-staters a different week. It's just one more criteria they look at to determine the 'fit' of the applicant. One other point is that few of the out-of-staters that get in actually matriculate due to the price tag- they told us this on my visit day. They accept quite a decent number, but most of them decide to go elsewhere.

But it still isn't 50:50 acceptances, but like I said, I wasn't sure if they only accept in state one week and OOS a different week... that was just my cracked up theory to explain why it took a while to get accepted.

In the beginning of the admissions cycle they looked at in-state students and OOS on a 2:1 cycle. Two weeks ISS then one week OOS and so on. Much later in the cycle they looked at both.

In the beginning of the admissions cycle they looked at in-state students and OOS on a 2:1 cycle. Two weeks ISS then one week OOS and so on. Much later in the cycle they looked at both.

Possible.

Hello

Just wanted some information about MSUCOM's waitlist. I was placed on there and wanted to know if anyone knew some stats about their list, like how many people get accepted from the list and stats like that. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Hello

Just wanted some information about MSUCOM's waitlist. I was placed on there and wanted to know if anyone knew some stats about their list, like how many people get accepted from the list and stats like that. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

I hear it is a pretty good percentage (some years). There is a high waitlist and a low waitlist. I think the high waitlist students get an offer for next year if they do not get off the list this year.

guaranteed place in the Class of 2013,
I'm so haaaaaaappy.
Man, i applied late i was #$*&@& bricks for a while but, yea soooooooo happpppy

Awais, congrats! Are you on a waitlist for this year, or just admitted for next year? I didnt realize they did it like that, but yay!:)

thanks scowdeva, i got waitlisted for this year w/ the guaranteed place in the Class of 2013.
i heard that most of the guaranteed kids will get accepted to start this summer, i hope i'm one of em, but if not i still gonna keep chillin. I dont know if im supposed to apply for finaid and look for a apt? i guess ill ask at my vist

gl! I hope I see you in the summer.

Hello

From what I hear (from a person that was waitlisted last year, and from MSUCOM) They send out 2 types of waitlist letters. one means you're high on the waitlist and the other means you're closer to the bottom of the list. (I have no idea what either letter says or looks like) They only waitlist if you have a reasonable shot a spot. Last year, a vast majority of the waitlested people ended up getting in. The only bad thing is it could be the middle of June before you find out....

For the record, according to USNews&Worldreport:
MSUCOM is made up of 90.5% in state students (in the entire school) so only about 20 seats per class end up going to OOS students. (keep in mind, this is an estimate on how many applicants end up going to MSUCOM and not how many are accepted per class. I'm willing to bet many OOS that are accepted end up staying close to home or go else where)

and I just thought I would add:
We're Ranked #5 in primary care (MD and DO schools, and #1 for DO schools)
GO STATE!

For the record, according to USNews&Worldreport:
MSUCOM is made up of 90.5% in state students (in the entire school) so only about 20 seats per class end up going to OOS students. (keep in mind, this is an estimate on how many applicants end up going to MSUCOM and not how many are accepted per class. I'm willing to bet many OOS that are accepted end up staying close to home or go else where)

and I just thought I would add:
We're Ranked #5 in primary care (MD and DO schools, and #1 for DO schools)
GO STATE!

I knew the rankings were high for both the MD & the DO schools for primary care and I am not surprised that DO is ranked #1 ~ it is a top notch program and I am thrilled to be heading there in June....Can you let me know where you got the stats though, would love to be able to share this info with my family!

I knew the rankings were high for both the MD & the DO schools for primary care and I am not surprised that DO is ranked #1 ~ it is a top notch program and I am thrilled to be heading there in June....Can you let me know where you got the stats though, would love to be able to share this info with my family!

DO programs aren't ranked exclusively as far as I know of, but it is #5 in primary care according to US NEWS

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php

Is the incoming class full already or are there spots still available?? I am OOS and just now working on the secondary. Do I have a chance??

Is the incoming class full already or are there spots still available?? I am OOS and just now working on the secondary. Do I have a chance??

I don't think the class is full but it is probably close. I think MSU likes to fill their class early. You are at a disadvantage being OOS.

Does anybody know when the committee will meet again. I am sure they are off for the holidays but I was hoping to hear something soon, I was complete in october and still haven't heard anything. Also, should I send in an official transcript from this past semester, would that help me?

Does anybody know when the committee will meet again. I am sure they are off for the holidays but I was hoping to hear something soon, I was complete in october and still haven't heard anything. Also, should I send in an official transcript from this past semester, would that help me?

Well, it depends on how your semester went. IF you got all F's, I would wait as long as possible to send it. If you got all A's I would send it in. I doubt they meet until January 8th. They usually meet on Tuesdays. Next tuesday is January 1st. Depending on your stats, you may not be in the percentage that gets looked at.

It's a new year, any news on the MSUCOM front?

It's a new year, any news on the MSUCOM front?

I think I've already posted here... but I accepted on Dec 1st. I'm super excited about starting classes! June will be here soon....My fiance has an interview at MSU on January 29th (but at the CHM) and I am really hoping he gets in!

Has anybody heard anything from the admissions department since the new year? Acceptances, waitlists, or rejections?

Just wondering if anybody else is on the waitlist like me? How does it work? Is the class completely full, and we are waiting for people to decline their acceptances? Is there an order on the waiting list? Do we have numbers?

I am on the Waitlist with you buddy. Its ranked but they will never tell you were you are, unless you can sneak into the admissions office and find out... LOL. I heard last year there was barely any movement, but if you are in the top 50 IMO then you have a real good shot.

MSUCOM is a really good school but facilities wise KCOM is 100 times better. If by god wills I do get off the wait-list at MSU, it will be my choice due to its tuition being almost 15k less per year then KCOM.

Haven't heard anything in awhile. It's a quiet time of year. I'm just waiting to file my 2007 taxes then I can fill out a FAFSA and get everything underway. What's everyone else doing to keep busy?

I'm stuck here at Umich taking Biochem and Genetics.... yay~~~~ hope the semester goes by quick! =P

I got an email for the waitlist today. However it did not contain a guaranteed spot for the class of 2013. I have seen in the forum that others have been waitlisted with a guarantee. I have also heard of being at the top of the waitlist and the bottom. I am wondering if by not being given a guaranteed acceptance to 2013 if I am at the lower end? Any comments?