MSW for working with eating disorders?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KateCons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice on MSW programs to apply to. I definitely want to do therapy and am interested in specializing in eating disorders, body image problems, and maybe perfectionism or anxiety.

Does anyone know of some good programs to apply to that would help me achieve this goal? I'm wondering if any MSWs in particular focus a little in this or are good for clinical practice.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

A former colleague of mine is an LCSW that did primarily ED work (both in-patient and in private practice), so it is definitely possible, though you'll need to seek out very specific training/supervision to do it right.

I'm not as well versed with SW programs (hopefully pingouin will stop by with her 2 cents), though I do know that they will all have a different split between "Applied" and "Administrative" training. Obviously you'd want to be more on the "Applied" side, though some administrative training would be helpful too.

As for ED specific work....I'd *strongly* recommend getting solid generalist training, working with a range of populations and Dxs, and then later going into EDs under the supervision of someone who specializes in the area. This is my primary population (both clinically and for my research), and I've found that a strong generalist training is needed because there are many layers you will have to deal with in addition to the ED Sx's. Being comfortable working with substance abuse, family dynamics, PTSD, anxiety Dxs, MDD, etc. Also, it is a very difficult population to work with, so you'll need to be grounded in your theory and clinical skills because they will be tested early and often. Being well versed in the literature is really important, because most professionals do not have a good handle on EDs, and they often get referred out because of this knowledge gap.

It can be very rewarding work, but I think it is one of the hardest specialty populations to work with because of the co-morbidity issues, as well as the pervasiveness and longevity of most ED Sx's.

Also, it is a very difficult population to work with, so you'll need to be grounded in your theory and clinical skills because they will be tested early and often. Being well versed in the literature is really important, because most professionals do not have a good handle on EDs, and they often get referred out because of this knowledge gap.

It can be very rewarding work, but I think it is one of the hardest specialty populations to work with because of the co-morbidity issues, as well as the pervasiveness and longevity of most ED Sx's.

So true...I haven't worked directly with pts with eating disorders such as anorexia, but having worked with people who have, I can say that it is a very difficult specialty. You are dealing not only with emotional and mental issues, but also physical issues.

OP, have you considered looking at some of the Eating Disorder centers/hospitals such as Renfrew? Maybe you can contact them to see what programs their counselors went into that best prepared them for this type of counseling.

My hat is off to you, this is a very difficult specialty.

You would need to look through the program's website. While most MSW programs will teach you the same thing, sometimes there are additional "flavors" that make each program unique (and tasty!). It's more than the micro or macro, clinical or administrative emphasis. For example, Baylor University is big on looking at faith and practice. All the students that graduate from that program, religious or not, have learned about how to handle the complex impacts that faith or "no faith" can have on a client in just about any situation. While that may not be for everyone, its definitely unique!

What you want to look at are the mission statements and faculty websites. Look at what the program wants to teach you. Social policy? Family issues? They'll teach you everything else, they just may emphasize some more. Also look at the faculty pages. Look at what the professors are interested in researching. If they have CVs up, you can see if any of them has clinical experience with ED clients. Another thing you can do is email the school and ask! Tell them about your interests and ask if its something they can help you develop.