MSW Programs in Los Angeles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisypheandreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctor Network:

After 2 years of painstakingly trying to figure out my next path from a BA in Psych towards a private practice, I have finally found that I believe the path to LCSW will be the best and most rewarding for me. I would love to get a PsyD but feel wary due to readings I find that show how much debt they seem to accumulate / the extra years of work do not seem to pan out too much differently when seeking to have a private practice / work at community colleges.

That said, I have already staked out a niche here for a private practice as well as cheap rent here in Los Angeles, so I am seeking to further my education here.

I would love opinions / experiences /advice on the following programs. Any + / - , blessing or warnings you have for or against each program. I plan on calling and grilling admissions as much as possible, but I have found with most things in life, eye-witness stories are some of the best tellers of reality vs. any statistical evidence I find on websites.

Cal State Los Angeles
UCLA
USC

This is based of a belief that the best route for LCSW job options is through accredited programs. If you know of others in the area that I did not list please open my eyes!

Thanks for your time and knowledge!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Student Doctor Network:

After 2 years of painstakingly trying to figure out my next path from a BA in Psych towards a private practice, I have finally found that I believe the path to LCSW will be the best and most rewarding for me. I would love to get a PsyD but feel wary due to readings I find that show how much debt they seem to accumulate / the extra years of work do not seem to pan out too much differently when seeking to have a private practice / work at community colleges.

That said, I have already staked out a niche here for a private practice as well as cheap rent here in Los Angeles, so I am seeking to further my education here.

I would love opinions / experiences /advice on the following programs. Any + / - , blessing or warnings you have for or against each program. I plan on calling and grilling admissions as much as possible, but I have found with most things in life, eye-witness stories are some of the best tellers of reality vs. any statistical evidence I find on websites.

Cal State Los Angeles
UCLA
USC

This is based of a belief that the best route for LCSW job options is through accredited programs. If you know of others in the area that I did not list please open my eyes!

Thanks for your time and knowledge!

I previously attended UCLA but transferred to Smith College School For Social Work. I later taught at UCLA, USC and Pepperdine as well as Wright Institute. USC is your best option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I previously attended UCLA but transferred to Smith College School For Social Work. I later taught at UCLA, USC and Pepperdine as well as Wright Institute. USC is your best option.

any particular reasons why?