MSW to MD is it possible for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArchimedesDeathRay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 24 years old and will be completing my MSW in Spring 2015. As I have been working in the field for about a year now I am starting to consider whether medicine may be a better career for my personality.

I have been working at an inpatient psychiatric hospital and at this facility I have worked closely with multiple doctors (family medicine and psychiatry). I have been present for at least one hundred psychiatric evaluations and have worked extensively in multidisciplinary treatment teams. I also have been volunteering at a crisis hotline for three years. My spring of 2015 I will also have completed a full time internship working with children with severe emotional and behavioral issues. I have particular experience in working with difficult populations such as the homeless and uninsured.

I found myself more interested in the psychopathology portion of my MSW education especially finding the right diagnosis. I also love to problem solve and find ways to do things more efficiently. I appreciate the SW field but I don't think I would be happy working in it forever. Working closely with doctors has ignited my interest in medicine and I think that I would like to go to medical school. Given my information would I have a chance of getting in?

BSW GPA 3.9 MSW GPA 4.0
Is my social work experience helpful in getting into medical school or is it a hindrance?
Should I go back to school and get a biological science degree or should I go back and do pre-reqs only? If I do pre-reqs only would I be completive if I completed them on a part time basis while I worked (mostly) full time?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 24 years old and will be completing my MSW in Spring 2015. As I have been working in the field for about a year now I am starting to consider whether medicine may be a better career for my personality.

I have been working at an inpatient psychiatric hospital and at this facility I have worked closely with multiple doctors (family medicine and psychiatry). I have been present for at least one hundred psychiatric evaluations and have worked extensively in multidisciplinary treatment teams. I also have been volunteering at a crisis hotline for three years. My spring of 2015 I will also have completed a full time internship working with children with severe emotional and behavioral issues. I have particular experience in working with difficult populations such as the homeless and uninsured.

I found myself more interested in the psychopathology portion of my MSW education especially finding the right diagnosis. I also love to problem solve and find ways to do things more efficiently. I appreciate the SW field but I don't think I would be happy working in it forever. Working closely with doctors has ignited my interest in medicine and I think that I would like to go to medical school. Given my information would I have a chance of getting in?

BSW GPA 3.9 MSW GPA 4.0
Is my social work experience helpful in getting into medical school or is it a hindrance?
Should I go back to school and get a biological science degree or should I go back and do pre-reqs only? If I do pre-reqs only would I be completive if I completed them on a part time basis while I worked (mostly) full time?

Part time pre-req's only is what you should do if that's what what works best for you. Of course it's possible. It's all but inevitable if you execute your plan as well as you've done previously. Your SW experience is not specifically helpful. It will help make you aware of that aspect and phase of patient care but it's direct payoff to clinical medicine is minimal at best. It is good experience though and gives you a credible angle on why you think medicine would be better for you.