MSW VS MFT on the way to PHD in clinical psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSYCHSTUDNT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I jeed your help. I have been so impressed with the willingness of everyone to advise that I feel that you can help me. I am currently lookingt o become a Clinical psychologist but I want to obtain a masters and then go on to doctoral studies later on due to other life plans and time requirements that comes with full time PHD programs. I have heard many things and I just need help clarifying them.

1. is it true that a MSW (especially when clinical) prepares you best for admission into or just simply to obtain PHD in Clinical Psychology ?

2. Is MFT a better alternative?

3. How about a MS in Educational Psychology or a Masters in Psyc Nursing?

Al i want is to obtain a Masters that i can use to be licensed and work with that will rpepare me for doctoral training in clinical psychology. There are very few masters programs in clinical psychology and that is where I am having problems.

Any comment and advice is welcomed. I have been accepted into a MS in Educational Psychology with a focus on cognition but I am thinking of applying for another masters program. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are trying to boost your competitiveness for Ph.D. programs, taking a job as a Research Assistant in a lab for a year or two is the best way. This allows demonstrates that you are committed to resesrch and have advanced skills and experience in that area. This is something Ph.D programs have to see in their applicants. It also allows you to get posters and pubs. Masters programs allow you to boost up your GPA if it is too low to be competitiveness, but the clinical experience wont necessarily boost your competitiveness that much for Ph.D programs. Research really carries more weight.

If Psy.D is your goal, then a masters program and the clinical experience you get will indeed help. However, I would always recommend a masters in clinical psychology over MSW or MFT programs. Although you are working with psychiatric populations with these two degrees, the training and orientation of these fields differs quite a bit from clinical psychology. There are quite a few masters programs in clinical psychology that are specifically designed as "stepping stones" to doctoral programs. This would provide the most benefit, because they are training you in the same way as doctoral programs will, and are specifically preparing you for the next step. You will also have a solid back ground in psychometrics and testing in clinical masters programs, something you will not get in MSW or MFT programs.

ERG923

Thank you so much for your advice. Working as a research assistant will not fit into my plan right now so a Masters porgram will be my best bet. I have found it hard to find schools that offer terminal masters in Nothern virginia areas. One program that I found at George MAson University offers a MA with Applied Developmental Behavior which might work well since I want to be a Clinical Child psychologist ultimately. Does anyone know of any school here in the Nothern Virginia Area or DC that offers a terminal Masters?

Some people say you can get into a PHD program and stop after earning your Masters and come back later to finish..but I am not really buying that as it seems too messy...Thanks Erg923 for your advice. What do you suggest in my case? other comments are welcomed as well

I understand. Although, if the ultimate goal is the doctorate, this is not the most efficient route to take, unless your undegrad GPA sucks. Getting a RA position gives you great experience, as well as some basic clinical skills, and you MAKE money, instead of SPENDING it on tuition in a masters program. However, if you want to practice for a good while after the degree, oboviously its important to get a degree in the area that interests you the most. Just be aware that MSW and/or MFT do not prepare you quite as well (academically) for the rigors of doctoral level education in clinical psych. It can still be done from those degree, but clinical psych is really a totally different ballgame compared to those fields. A masters in psych will just prepare you better for the subject matter, and the research component will make you a more competitive applicant for doctoral programs.

I hope your aren't quite as geographically limited when it comes to applying to Ph.D programs. Its simply too competitive a field. My only advice would be to see if you can be more geographically flexible. the vast vast majority of students have to relocate for grad school. And you will almost certainly HAVE to relocate for your predoc internship. This is just part of the embedded sacrifices of higher education in this field. If you can not relocate out of the surrounding area, you will just have to find a program that fits your needs the best. If Ph.D is your goal, you need a program that will have a research component and/or a masters thesis. You have to demonstrate this ability and dedication to research (unless you have pubs from your undergrad work. Like I said, the clinical experiences in masters programs will be good for you, personally, but Ph.D programs will not care alot about this. If your going for Psy.D, your clinical experiences will be much more valued by a Psy.D. admissions committee.

Last edited: