Msw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelseyjosine21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't really know what to title this thread but here goes. I do want to get into a PsyD program but for one of my safety schools I'm going to apply to the Master's program at the school I'm already at, just to make life a little easier for now haha. Anyway they have PhD program so would if still be beneficial to get my Master's there even though I want to go the PsyD route eventually? Or doesn't it even matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the Masters program you are referring to a Masters in Social Work as your title suggests? If so, social work is actually quite a separate field from psychology and so getting an MSW wouldn't be a very direct route to getting doctoral degree in clinical psych. You'd be better placed to get a Ph.D in social work in that case.

Sorry should've been more specific. It's a masters in clinical psych. It's just heavily research based and I'm not really interested in that but I won't have to move and I can work so it might be easier if I don't get in a PsyD program right away.

I guess it depends on how much you want to boost your credentials and how much you are willing and able to spend. In a lot of cases, getting a Masters degree first will only save you a year in getting a doctoral degree (although all of my experience is with Ph.D programs, not Psy.D programs, so that may not hold true for you). On the other hand, if you have a low GPA or don't have research or clinical experience (both are important even if you only want to practice) then a Masters program can help you improve your application.