<----Mt Sinai Class 0f 2011 ---->

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fugazism

all things go
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started this thread at the Sinai student messageboard but no one responded....With the second batch of students getting accepted today, I felt it was only proper to start one here. So, how's everyone feeling about MSSM?????:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

i was just accepted today! i am very excited - are you definitely going?

I am not going to make any final decisions till after second look weekends, but it is definately my top choice of schools right now. I loved it there for the interview, and had that "warm and fuzzy" feeling after I left. But leaving california is a big choice, and I've spent of total of 2.5 days in NY my whole life! So to sum up, I am heavily leaning that way!

Are you??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not going to make any final decisions till after second look weekends, but it is definately my top choice of schools right now. I loved it there for the interview, and had that "warm and fuzzy" feeling after I left. But leaving california is a big choice, and I've spent of total of 2.5 days in NY my whole life! So to sum up, I am heavily leaning that way!

Are you??

i am thinking that i will prob go there. im choosing between mt sinai and albert einstein and einstein doesnt have a second look so i guess ill just have to figure it out somehow...

awesome. where are you from and such? what did you think of the school when you were there?

awesome. where are you from and such? what did you think of the school when you were there?

im from nj. i loved the school when i was there - i was there the last day of lab and the students were having "naked day" and it was just funny and i thought it just personified the laid back attitude that they have there. i just felt like it would be a good fit for me there...

I'm from San Francisco, when I interviewed I also got the laid back vibe, and also I could tell the student's really loved it there. The MSI's were having their biochem test or something, and even though it was test day, they were totally into selling the school. Which I think says a lot. Do you know NY well? What do you think of the area that Sinai is in?

hey guys!

i just got my email today as well :) my first acceptance!

i'm still waiting on a couple of other schools, but this is definitely one of my top choices! i really liked the atmosphere, and plus i've always wanted to live in nyc!

i'm from socal, so i'll also be missing the warm sunny winters, haha! :)

i noticed there were a lot of people from ca there! but yeah i think the area is awesome - you'll see a lot of variety in the area depending on which direction you walk in from the school, but being right across from central park is definitely a perk. its not exactly the area with the most bars and nightlife of that kind but its about a 5 min walk from a subway that will take you wherever you want to go. honestly, as a nj girl its always been a dream to live in the city, so for me the location is just about as good as it could ever get...

honestly, as a nj girl its always been a dream to live in the city, so for me the location is just about as good as it could ever get...

Sweet!

hey guys!

i just got my email today as well :) my first acceptance!

i'm still waiting on a couple of other schools, but this is definitely one of my top choices! i really liked the atmosphere, and plus i've always wanted to live in nyc!

i'm from socal, so i'll also be missing the warm sunny winters, haha! :)

Join the party! We need to get this thread going to catch up to the other schools.

Where in socal? I went to UCSD.

i'm from LA :)

so from the email it says that we'll be getting our acceptance packets in two to three weeks. did it really take that long for you to get them? haha, my mom refuses to believe i got accepted until i actually get the big package in the mail! also, when's second look weekend?

i'm from LA :)

so from the email it says that we'll be getting our acceptance packets in two to three weeks. did it really take that long for you to get them? haha, my mom refuses to believe i got accepted until i actually get the big package in the mail! also, when's second look weekend?

I got my packet within a week and a half. It contains a form to hold your place in the class which I had to fax it over to meet the deadline in time. I just emailed Jessica about 2nd look weekend, she said it is at the end of April and info will come soon about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to Mount Sinai a couple of days ago and it's likely that I'll go. I went to undergrad in NYC and being in NYC was great!!! As other people have said Mount Sinai is in a good location, it's not downtown but downtown is easy reachable. It's right next to the park which is really nice. It's between the upper east side and east harlem so you have lots of influences and access to different types of things.
Living in NYC is fun and a great opportunity in general:cool: :p

wow, that is close to the park. i had no idea when i was there.
mount_sinai_buildings.gif

so i saw on another thread that second look is April 5-7. are you guys planning on going? i'm really excited about visiting the school again! (and definitely seeing/visiting ny for more than 1 day!) :)

I am going for sure! I also heard from the admissions office that second look is at the end of april.

i will definitely be there...

hey guys i will definitely be at second look too. I am deciding between sinai and ohsu but right now i am leaning towards sinai

hey,
did anyone who got their acceptance on the 24th get their acceptance packet in the mail yet?
just wondering when i should be expecting it...

hey,
did anyone who got their acceptance on the 24th get their acceptance packet in the mail yet?
just wondering when i should be expecting it...

nope, not yet. Is it a package or just a letter?

Anyone know how Sinai matches in comparison to NYU?

FINALLY GOT THE PACKET! thank goodness - i was starting to think they made a mistake with the email, lol!

FINALLY GOT THE PACKET! thank goodness - i was starting to think they made a mistake with the email, lol!

Did all that blood test stuff seem a bit much to you?
It sort of comes off as: Yay you're accepted :love: ...but only if you prove that you're not a junkie :eek: ??
I find it odd that they send that with the acceptance packet. It would probably be more appropriate to send to kids who are definitely going to Sinai, not everyone they accept. Whatev, I :love: Sinai anyway.

anyone have a link or info regarding step 1 avg board scores or residency match lists?

Did all that blood test stuff seem a bit much to you?
It sort of comes off as: Yay you're accepted :love: ...but only if you prove that you're not a junkie :eek: ??
I find it odd that they send that with the acceptance packet. It would probably be more appropriate to send to kids who are definitely going to Sinai, not everyone they accept. Whatev, I :love: Sinai anyway.

yeah its weird - i think theyre the only school that does that. but whatever it makes no difference to me lol...

blood test? i thought there was only a urine drug test that was due before you started school in august

blood test? i thought there was only a urine drug test that was due before you started school in august
oops! I didn't read it carefully enough, but you're right, it's only a urine sample. I still find it an odd thing to enclose in the acceptance packet, considering it only needs to be done by those who are matriculating.

yeah, i guess it is kind of overkill. maybe it was a problem in the past?

How has financial aid been in the past from Sinai?

How has financial aid been in the past from Sinai?

pretty good actually. From MSAR:
%students recieving aid: 93%
Average amount per scholarship/grant: $13,220
Average Graduate Indebtedness: $104,730

First off congrats guys, we all should be very excited. However I am wondering if any current/perspective students have any specific details or first hand experience concerning research opportunities at Sinai. I know they are USNEWS ranked and have very good funding, but I am more interested in how easy it is for a student to become involved in the lab, whether there is actually enough time in the curriculum to organize a project, and how funding and tuition works for the 5th year option. I recently posted this on both the pre-med and allo forum but no real response... hopeing for better luck here.

If/When you are accepted, I believe (at least for me) a current student calls you and asks if you have any questions. You should ask them. If they didn't call you, email the admissions office and ask if they knew the email of a current student where you could direct some questions...They admisssions people are really helpful.

i maybe the only one posting in this forum but...April 27-28 is second look, is anyone going for sure?

First off congrats guys, we all should be very excited. However I am wondering if any current/perspective students have any specific details or first hand experience concerning research opportunities at Sinai. I know they are USNEWS ranked and have very good funding, but I am more interested in how easy it is for a student to become involved in the lab, whether there is actually enough time in the curriculum to organize a project, and how funding and tuition works for the 5th year option. I recently posted this on both the pre-med and allo forum but no real response... hopeing for better luck here.

It is incredibly easy to get involved with research at Sinai. Remember you will be a big fish in a little pond. You don't have to compete with 5,000 undergrads for a spot. By the way, I'm at first year at Sinai.

Hey BigMAC, what exactly goes on at the revisit weekend?

i am thinking about going to second look, but not completely sure.

Hey BigMAC, what exactly goes on at the revisit weekend?

Second look sealed the deal for me. They send you to a top restaurant in the city. Then you have a huge party in the Aron Hall courtyard. The next day, you are introduced to your first patient and are lectured to by our incredibly funny, Brooklyn Jewish anatomy professor. All in all, an amazing experience. There are lots of little activities, but you'll just have to see for yourself.

so bigMAC, if you don't mind sharing what schools were you choosing between before you set on Sinai....also, what do you like best about the school so far, least? I am trying to amp myself up enough to move across the country, but its hard!

so bigMAC, if you don't mind sharing what schools were you choosing between before you set on Sinai....also, what do you like best about the school so far, least? I am trying to amp myself up enough to move across the country, but its hard!

I chose between Sinai, Yale, Pitt, Florida, Wake Forest and a couple of others that I eliminated earlier on in the process. It was a difficult decision. Each school has their inherent strengths and weaknesses. Sinai really had everything that I was looking for. The Pass/Fail curriculum is essential in my opinion. If I could offer one piece of advice, choose P/F. I love NYC, the proximity to the park, the fact that you are the only group of students at the school, so you are a big fish in little pond. You have unlimited access to professors for shadowing and research, because you are not competing for positions with crazy undergrads who are trying to boost their resumes. Sinai also has a blended curriculum, with a nice balance of traditional lecture based and problem based learning.

On the other hand, some people might view not being affiliated with a university as a negative. Personally, I do not feel this way, but I know some in my class miss the feel of a campus life. Sinai is not located in the "happening" area of NYC, but you are right near the 6 train so getting downtown is easy. A current negative of Sinai is the quality of the lecture hall for first years. However, this will not be a negative for next year's class as they are undertaking a major renovation starting in early April.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

thanks for sharing. How early in the cirric. do you get patient interaction? Are there predetermined preceptorships, or do you have to shadow on your own? How do electives work in the first 2 years? If class gets out so early, what do you do for the rest of the day? oh, and what was the name of the beautiful MS1 who had lunch with our group? wow. :D

also i had a q ab the free clinic - how do u go about getting involved in that and how much do they let u do?

I'm so excited to finally be able to post in this thread...accepted today! So, second look is April 27-28? meaning a Friday and Saturday? Any schedule details?

I'm so excited to finally be able to post in this thread...accepted today! So, second look is April 27-28? meaning a Friday and Saturday? Any schedule details?

Yeah, its that weekend. I am not sure of any of the details, all they have sent us is an email to 'save the date'. Congrats!

alright everyone, whos going to second look? anyone from west coast? are you flying jetblue? have you bought your ticket? and does anyone know when we get the details for second look??? any travel compensation?! that'd be sweeet.

lets get this thread going!

alright everyone, whos going to second look? anyone from west coast? are you flying jetblue? have you bought your ticket? and does anyone know when we get the details for second look??? any travel compensation?! that'd be sweeet.

lets get this thread going!

ill be there :thumbup:

where are all the sinai folks?!!?

yeah, i'll be at second look. i live in nyc, so it'll be a short commute. but i'm from the west coast and i just saw that jet blue has some pretty amazing $299 roundtrip flights right now from oakland and san francisco to JFK.

I'm there. Just bought my ticket, yeah jetblue. I cannot freaking wait.