MTM has a board certified designation ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmdA07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Long time no posting, glad to see everyone is still here. I just saw this www.nbmtm.org and read that they have a designation of BCMTMS for passing their exam. Has anyone heard of this? I thought the certificate from APhA 's Delivering MTM is enough? I am considering getting an official training in MTM--have been putting it off for years due to personal and work-related matter. Now I saw 2 programs: the PowerPak and the APhA. I'd love a review of systemic diseases and wonder if the APhA offers that.
Anyone having insights into these matters, please educate me and I'll be forever grateful. Thanks so much in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like a cash grab to me.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this before here, you might try searching. I agree, it sounds like a cash grab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll never understand why pharmacists take these courses. Your license is all you need to perform MTM. Don't devalue by taking these certifications.

What's next? APhA certifications in order verification and dispensing? A certificate in patient counseling?

Reactions: 1 users
I've watched the over-credentialing boom with amusement; people can't part with their time and money fast enough in search of some stamp of approval they likely never needed in the first place. But oh, to have those extra letters after your name...so long as you keep paying the annual recertification fee (of course).

It's making me think of a phrase, how's it go? Oh yeah:
"There's a sucker born every minute."- P.T. Barnum

Don't be a sucker.

I guess that if I end up unemployed then I could start my own certificate program.

Reactions: 3 users
But oh, to have those extra letters after your name...so long as you keep paying the annual recertification fee (of course).

So true. I always think, if I wanted extra letters after my name, I would have been a nurse. Pharmacists have a long way to go, to catch up with the alphabet soup of the average nurse.
As for me, I'll stick with R.Ph.

Thank you so much for everyone's reply. After talking with some friends, it appears that, just like everyone has said, this is just another scam of money grabbing. I will just do the APhA cert. for now after getting my AAHIVP done.
Anyone know any certification that we can get with OutCome or Mirixa ?
Thanks again guys !

The NAPLEX is so easy, it's almost impossible to respect a pharmacist without a BPS certification.

The NAPLEX is so easy, it's almost impossible to respect a pharmacist without a BPS certification.

To be honest with you, I have a BPS one and I found that disclosing it sometimes leads people to dislike me. Maybe it's just me at my last job so unfortunate to have so many disgruntled and evil co-pharmacists, I mean they stabbed me in the back not once but twice. Learning from that now at my current job, I only disclose my credentials to my supervisor and director during the interview. I try to stay low and to appear, honestly, dumb so I don't accidentally tick anyone off.
With the market being this bad, I just feel lucky to have a job that is so far enjoyable. Being out of school since 2011, my perspective on being a PharmD now is really, and I mean really, different from that when I just graduated. We had a guy, who did a residency in 2016 and joined this hospital right after, just quit due to workplace conflict and job dissatisfaction. The schools have really brainwashed these kids about what real-life pharmacy is...

To be honest with you, I have a BPS one and I found that disclosing it sometimes leads people to dislike me. Maybe it's just me at my last job so unfortunate to have so many disgruntled and evil co-pharmacists, I mean they stabbed me in the back not once but twice.

Hospital politics can be vicious. You are smart to stay low-key, but hopefully your current job will have far more reasonable co-workers than your last job.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked at a hospital where board certification was nice, but residency is what really matters. Another where they didn't really care about residency, but everyone was scrambling to get board certified. It just depends on the culture of the organization. There are probably academic centers where you have to be a PGY2 with BPS to be considered worthy to staff the central pharmacy.

I'm happy to be out of the pharmacy credential arms race for the time being.

I worked at a hospital where board certification was nice, but residency is what really matters. Another where they didn't really care about residency, but everyone was scrambling to get board certified. It just depends on the culture of the organization. There are probably academic centers where you have to be a PGY2 with BPS to be considered worthy to staff the central pharmacy.

I'm happy to be out of the pharmacy credential arms race for the time being.

Idk man... several Professional / Board Cert for Informatics are on the horizon

What kind of informatics? For anything outside of an EHR, a pharmD is worthless. From what I've seen, pharmacists are used to support clinical areas and workflows (i.e. the epic beacon and willow applications). Certification is handled by said EHR. Some third party is going to provide Epic/Cerner/Meditech/etc specialized credentialing for pharmacists? Give me a break. Sounds like another pharmacy scam.

I've been hearing about those for a while. I really wonder how they will quantify what knowledge is needed to be "board certified."

I'm not sure how much weight those will hold for hiring managers in IT departments. Positions within the pharmacy department may value them.

To be honest with you, I have a BPS one and I found that disclosing it sometimes leads people to dislike me. Maybe it's just me at my last job so unfortunate to have so many disgruntled and evil co-pharmacists, I mean they stabbed me in the back not once but twice. Learning from that now at my current job, I only disclose my credentials to my supervisor and director during the interview. I try to stay low and to appear, honestly, dumb so I don't accidentally tick anyone off.
With the market being this bad, I just feel lucky to have a job that is so far enjoyable. Being out of school since 2011, my perspective on being a PharmD now is really, and I mean really, different from that when I just graduated. We had a guy, who did a residency in 2016 and joined this hospital right after, just quit due to workplace conflict and job dissatisfaction. The schools have really brainwashed these kids about what real-life pharmacy is...

does being board certified entitle you to more benefits like better pay/better hours than others at your last job? It seems insane that they want to screw you over just because of the credentials that you have

No joke. It may be over generalization but for the most part I’m afraid that is very typical of Pharmacist’s in my experience too. I have seen it time and time again, that people trash one another, do anything to get the approval and likes of others, rush to judgement before getting all the facts, be lazy and do little to none, complain all day and feel entitled, driveout those they perceive threatening to their statusquo, sabotage and etc....

This is America....this is Pharmacy...

Hello,
Long time no posting, glad to see everyone is still here. I just saw this www.nbmtm.org and read that they have a designation of BCMTMS for passing their exam. Has anyone heard of this? I thought the certificate from APhA 's Delivering MTM is enough? I am considering getting an official training in MTM--have been putting it off for years due to personal and work-related matter. Now I saw 2 programs: the PowerPak and the APhA. I'd love a review of systemic diseases and wonder if the APhA offers that.
Anyone having insights into these matters, please educate me and I'll be forever grateful. Thanks so much in advance...

I am certain that AphA does not offer any MTM certification, but a training course as stated in their website APhA Advanced Training Programs
APhA does not certify you.
BPS is an example of certifying body that certifies your knowledge and expertise.

Last edited:
My opinion? if your in retail , they want the cheapest help possible for hourly positions. Does not matter what you know or have anymore. They prefer NOT to pay you anything extra. That said, i cannot speak for hospital/clinical. It may be nice there. But i just see salaries dropping, so whats the point?

I've watched the over-credentialing boom with amusement; people can't part with their time and money fast enough in search of some stamp of approval they likely never needed in the first place. But oh, to have those extra letters after your name...so long as you keep paying the annual recertification fee (of course).

It's making me think of a phrase, how's it go? Oh yeah:
"There's a sucker born every minute."- P.T. Barnum

Don't be a sucker.

I didn’t do a residency and made the jump from retail to hospital. My contract stipulates I obtain a board certification within 6 months of hire and unfortunately this BS cert is the only one I qualify for. I do get a raise ($3/hr) once I get the board cert so do I want to spend $500 for a $6k a year raise? Guess I do