MTM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicPharmacist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone did MTM outside of Mirixa and Outcomes? Would you have patients pay cash and then submit to insurance for reimbursement?

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacists have been doing MTM a long time, even before it was called MTM. It was called filling a prescription pursuant to a state's administrative code regarding prospective drug review.

There are many places doing MTM now and there are even pharmacists that only do MTM in specialized roles. I think this has really opened the door to expanding the roles of pharmacists and will continue to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
MTM is not profitable unless you get a student intern or rotation student slaving away at it.

Reactions: 1 user
MTM is not profitable unless you get a student intern or rotation student slaving away at it.

The profit is probably only there for the 3rd party. Another venue to play gotcha audit with a pharmacy. It's so sad it's come to this state of affairs. Everything is a racket.

The profit is probably only there for the 3rd party. Another venue to play gotcha audit with a pharmacy. It's so sad it's come to this state of affairs. Everything is a racket.

Well when the reimbursement rates are like $2 here, $12 there, $0, then a lengthy CMR for $50 ish, it simply isn't financially viable on a pharmacists pay.

For chain store, is MTM a target pushed to only pharmacy manager, or staff pharmacist too? On one of my rotation, the pharmacy manager are the one handling the MTM, and sometimes when I have questions and ask some of the staff pharmacist, they say they don't do much (if any) MTM and not sure how to do it appropriately. Is it viable to hire just a "clinical pharmacist" to handle certain store's MTM cases, and let staff do their own daily work?

For chain store, is MTM a target pushed to only pharmacy manager, or staff pharmacist too? On one of my rotation, the pharmacy manager are the one handling the MTM, and sometimes when I have questions and ask some of the staff pharmacist, they say they don't do much (if any) MTM and not sure how to do it appropriately. Is it viable to hire just a "clinical pharmacist" to handle certain store's MTM cases, and let staff do their own daily work?
That's the direction I was thinking. To outsource it to a clinical pharmacist who can help out.

With my retail job, we have both outcomes and mirixa that we monitor. Technically staff and/or floaters can do it, but typically it is us PICs that only bother. Mirixa I am expected to do all myself, but typically I have only like 5 a week (lower volume store).

Most are pretty easy on Mirixa (mainly calling pts about fill gaps and refilling for $12 a pop or 90 day fills) and isn't a hindrance on my workflow. Outcomes is often a bigger pain in the butt (CMRs, med syncs, etc), but we have the option to pick what we want on there and corporate mtm pharmacists handle the rest.

I get half of what I bill personally in my quarterly bonus. I don't think this is typical for most chains, but MTM hasn't been a big issue for me and is a nice extra $50 or so a week in pay. And most patients seem grateful for letting them know about fill gaps or converting to 90 day fills. My plan is to have students just do it all for me when I'm a preceptor.

It must not be worth the time otherwise CVS would be doing it

Cvs tried doing something called pharmacy advisor which was basically their Caremark MTM. It would identify diabetic patients who were not taking ACE/ARB like lisinopril or losartan and expect rph to reach out to patient and doctor to get treatment started. Also they identified patients who needed a statin.

Also cvs was the last major pharmacy around here to start offering the zostavax vaccine. They lag behind Walgreens and krogers when it comes to clinical services. Even meijers started offering the zostavax before cvs in Ohio.

The CVS by me says they don't give Zostavax - I wonder if their RX supervisor knows !

Cvs tried doing something called pharmacy advisor which was basically their Caremark MTM. It would identify diabetic patients who were not taking ACE/ARB like lisinopril or losartan and expect rph to reach out to patient and doctor to get treatment started. Also they identified patients who needed a statin.

Also cvs was the last major pharmacy around here to start offering the zostavax vaccine. They lag behind Walgreens and krogers when it comes to clinical services. Even meijers started offering the zostavax before cvs in Ohio.

Didn't know cvs does not give zostavax....

Cvs does offer the zostavax now but they were years behind Kroger and Walgreens with introducing it and offering it to their customers.