Much Appreciated Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xianxTxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN forum members,

I am finally on my summer break and ready to study for my MCAT, which I plan on taking by the end of this summer. First of all, this will be my first time taking the MCAT and I intend to make this my last. Another thing, I am not taking any summer classes, shadowing, internship, etc etc, so free from the extra load. There are a few things that I would like your advice/info/experience about:

1. My goal is anything above 36 but on my diagnostic test through Kaplan, I scored 20. So my question is, is 36+ for me even a reachable goal? Btw, I have a 4.0 GPA, but for some really unfortunate reason, I am a horrible standardized test-taker (SAT experience) and I loathe the verbals section.

2. I planned to follow the schedule laid out by SN2d but my school is offering an MCAT prep course and I was advised by my adviser to take ExamKracker, Kaplan, or Princeton Review. I feel like a mixed approach would be better but I don't know if I would benefit from taking either one of those reviews better than following a plan myself. So my question is, what do you guys think is a better approach, a combination of SN2d schedule and a course, course, or sn2d schedule; your experience if you have done a combination would be much appreciated.

3. I have 4 days to chose from Aug 23, and 3 days in Sept that I can test on. So is there any advantage/disadvantage of taking it the last day (some say the curve helps), because I cannot seem to decide when to take it. I cannot tell the difference between taking it on different days and the statistics that goes with choosing those days. So if anyone is informed about that, please share your views.

I have all the materials (ExamKrackers/Princeton/TPRH series/Berkely/Nova Physics) but now all I need to do is figure out how exactly I should use these because I am so confused with the plethora of options! Please help, any advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!! :)

Thanks a lot for making this far in my post and, in advance, to any advice you have for me! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) No the Kaplan diagnostic doesn't mean anything. There is a famous thread about how all diagnostics are useless (can't find it right now)but diagnostics by test prep companies are especially useless because they purposely make them hard + have a hard curve to make it look as if you really need their prep. Then when you take the real test it's easier so it looks like the company helped you out.

The fact that you are a horrible standardized test taker and aren't good at verbal isn't a good sign though (especially if you studied hard for your standardized tests). Considering that Verbal is considered by many as the easiest section to make quick improvements but the hardest section to burst through a plateu (that is, you start out testing at 6's and 7's but then jump to 9's and 10's but then can never get over the 10 plateu) you would probably need to blow your sciences out of the park (13+) to get your 36 because once you reach that plateau you will likely get stuck like the rest of us (my plateau was 9-10...got a 9 on the real deal).

2) I would stick to one schedule so you can do it justice and not spread yourself too thin. I did a modified SN2d schedule (2 months instead of 3) but you need to look at each and see if it makes sense with your particular learning style.

3) No it doesn't matter when you take it. Just pick a date and plan your studying and practice FL exams around that. As far as books are concerned, again it's important to not be too spread out so I would limit the number of books you use (it's great you have them all though). Personally I would go with:

Physics: TBR as the main source + Nova as a reference if you need more help + EK for review + EK 1001 physics questions

Chem: TBR as the main source + EK for review + EK 1001 chemistry questions

Orgo: TBR as the main source + EK for review + EK 1001 orgo questions

Bio: This depends on your familiarity with bio. If you are a bio major/took a lot of bio courses I would just go with EK as your main source + EK 1001 bio questions. Otherwise I would go with Princeton Review as your main source + EK for review + EK 1001 bio questions.

Verbal: EK 101 passages + Princeton Review Verbal workbook. Make sure you spread your verbal studying out so you don't "waste" all your passages too early.

Also start taking the AAMC FL exams ~1 month prior to the real deal (I did 2 a week).

Thanks a lot for your detailed advice!!!

I figured if I keep thinking about my diagnostic, I wont be able to start studying o Ill just wait till I take my first FL. And so there is no curve depending on who we take tests with so thats a big relief!