MUCOM vs KCU (Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kn94

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have been accepted to both MUCOM and KCU! I thought I had made up my mind to attend MUCOM, but the next KCU deposit deadline is on Friday and I'm starting to get cold feet about the decision. Please help me!! I have my pro-con lists below

Marian:
Pros:
- 3 hours away from my hometown
- great rotation sites
- felt at home on interview day
- good match rates
- great board prep/support
- Student Ambassadors seemed really happy
- I know people who have graduated and are doing great in specialties I am interested in

Cons:
- newer school
- shorter school semester

KCU (Joplin):
Pros:
- skills lab set up (bring in physicians to work in small groups with students on skills)
- larger simulation space
- long history
- good match rates
- longer semester

Cons:
- 7 hours away from my hometown
- rotation sites are spread across the country and not all necessarily equal
- satellite campus (even though it's "the same" as the KC campus they don't have evidence to show comparable student outcomes)
- didn't have great interactions with student ambassadors / seemed stressed/not super happy

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I have been accepted to both MUCOM and KCU! I thought I had made up my mind to attend MUCOM, but the next KCU deposit deadline is on Friday and I'm starting to get cold feet about the decision. Please help me!! I have my pro-con lists below

Marian:
Pros:
- 3 hours away from my hometown
- great rotation sites
- felt at home on interview day
- good match rates
- great board prep/support
- Student Ambassadors seemed really happy
- I know people who have graduated and are doing great in specialties I am interested in

Cons:
- newer school
- shorter school semester

KCU (Joplin):
Pros:
- skills lab set up (bring in physicians to work in small groups with students on skills)
- larger simulation space
- long history
- good match rates
- longer semester

Cons:
- 7 hours away from my hometown
- rotation sites are spread across the country and not all necessarily equal
- satellite campus (even though it's "the same" as the KC campus they don't have evidence to show comparable student outcomes)
- didn't have great interactions with student ambassadors / seemed stressed/not super happy
Hi which school did you end up choosing?
I'm in the same position right now!