COMLEX Multiple COMLEX 2-CE fails - Helpful guidance only please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajprime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
First off, if you have any criticizing, demenaing, demoralizing, sarcastic, or put downs overall, please keep them to yourself. I need help guidance, direction, and anythign else that will help me through my currect predicament. If your advice is to give up and become a waiter or some other nonsense, keep that to yourself. I'm looking for successful options, not discouragement.
I have failed COMLEX 2 -CE multiple times. But i graduated school in 2007, a time when passing COMLEX 2 was not necessary for graduation. I completed my first year of residency as a Transitional Intern. I was under the HPSP Military Scholarship program, so yes I am a military medical officer (and still am). Because i didn't pass my step 2 during my first year of residency, I wasnt allowed to continue to the second year of my residency. But my evaluations and performance was very well during my first year. The Army saw me as a valuable asset. So the military made me a staff physician in the clinic of physical medicine (which is the field i wanted to go into). I was the same as a staff physician, but just needed to have my notes co-signed. After that year, since I also had an MBA, the military moved me into a medical administrator position. I have been doing hospital administration since 2010. I have tried taking my COMLEX 2 duing those times, but it has been difficult and I failed those attempts.
I have been doing hospital adminsitration and it has been a great expereince, but I want to pass this exam and get back into what I love doing. now due to issues, complications, and politics I resigned my commission from Active Duty and switched into the Army Reserve (advising that I will return to active duty once the administration changes. Military can be very political). But that wa snot a smooth transition and I was unemployed from Aug 2011 - Mar 2013. This was made worse with the government shutdown and other complications. This was a dark and troubling time since I am married with 3 kids -one with moderate physical disability. I was turned down from over 200-300 jobs for either being overqualified or under expereinced. This includes pizza delivery, telemarketing, and anything else on craiglist. (this includes using job placement companies). i landed a telemarketing job for $9/hr to suopport a $2000/month hosehold budget (bare miniumus of just mortgage, food, gas, ultilities, and bills) and $450,000 student debt. Lucklily I was able to land back on Activated Army Reserve orders, so I am currently on temporary Active orders, which has helped us to pay back alot of back bills, car title loans, etc. But this pressed the importance of me passing this exam and get back on track with my career

The Army does not usually pay for review courses, so that came all out of pocket. I also paid for each COMLEX 2 exam out of my pocket as well. The course I have done are:
Falcon Comlex 2 Online course
Boards Boot Camp online course
Kaplan Step 2 study books (I didn't take the course-just the books)

Test banks I have used are:
Kaplan Qbank and Qbook
COMBANK and I used the notes I took of explanations of their questions from when I used it in 2008-2009 (this is around when the program first started) to study
USMLE World and used the notes I took of the explanations of their questions
The additional books i have used are

First Aid for Step 2
COMLEX Amnesia Cure - by Hussaini and Williams
Boards and Wards
Crush the boards
Secrets of USMLE Step 2
and some other books such as case files for Ob/Gyn, case studies for psych and ob/gyn
I just need help to see what can be done. I have never done well on strandarized exams. I have also took multiple tries on my COMLEX 1 (but not even close to the number of times I have taken COMLEX 2). i passed COMLEX 2-PE.
Can anyone recommend a study guide, or approach. Or maybe one of those programs with live lectue course like PASS or WOLFPACC or YOUEL's. I will take anything at this time that will help get past this point and hurdle.

I am very close to my goal. I already have a residency setup which have told me that they are just waiting for me to pass my step 2. I also have 2 job offers that continue to contact me from civilian locations that are waiting for me to pass step 2 and 3. Most states have no limit on the number of times I take comlex (any step) and there is no limit on the years of completion. This is not even including the offers that the Army is offering me for completion of my steps. There is much opportunities waiting for me and this is the one test stopping me from moving forward. Any help, guidance, advice. I can provide further details on request. Thank you all for your help and support. Thank you

Sincerely
military Doc

Members don't see this ad.

Just to reiterate, i saw someone in a similar siutation in a previous post. All I saw was mainly scrutiny, sympathy, and plainly just the generic stuff i can google. so lets lay out some facts

-i have graduated from an american DO school (had to clarify since we already know that all DO schools are in the states, but just to avoid that one utliner)
- I'm not worried about residency or getting into a residency slot. The military operates differently and my personal connections and networking has already taken care of me on this matter
-I graduated from all 4 years of course while graduating with a dual degree. I completed and passed all shelf exams on the first try. received all 4/5 to 5/5 rating on all inservice evaluations during 1st year TY internship
-My failing the board exams mulitple times had no correction to my actual performce as a physician. I received numerous compliments and survey reviews that were positive as a staff physician. I have treated all my patients with out "messing" up. even on a physician review site I have a score of 5/5 for performance by my patients. So if you think board exams will show how you will do as a physician, think again. it doesn't. sometimes the two do not correlate
-Those that are cocky enough to be surpirsed by multiple failed comlex attempts can keep their unproductive comments to their self. I have already proven that the two do not correlate and I have already received 3 direct hires to work as a general physician in there different states based on person recommendations that have passed among collegues. They email and call every 6 months- year asking if i am done with step 2 and 3. So its not just what you know. it mainly rides on who you know and how your peers and patients see your compassion. Thats what the general public are looking for and want these days.

hope this helps to clarify things

thanks

1. Kaplan Master the Boards both the Step 2 and step 3 books. Step 2 book is good for IM subjects. Step 3 book is way better for ob, peds, neuro, heme, surgery, and psych. I actually went through both of these books twice, and they were money for COMLEX.

2. USMLEWorld 1-2x through, thoroughly reading all explanations. Do not rush through it. Do this concurrently with the MTB reading.

3. USMLE Secrets for Step 2. After reading a section in MTB, review the corresponding section(s) in this book immediately after.

4. AFTER doing USMLEWorld, do Combank or comquest 1x through, paying particular attention to the OMM portions and how to answer a comlex style question.

5. Green Savarese OMM review book at least once. OMM points are money in the bank if you put in a little effort.

These are all the resources you need. Throw all the other stuff away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend COMQUEST as well.

Also you might want to do the updated COMBANK because there might be changes from the time of your first subscription that mirror content of the current exam.

Thank you again. This is all great feedback. Iwill keep you all posted on my progress. For reference, the NBOME site indicates that limitations on retakes of exams will start on July 1, 2016. It will be limited to 6 attempts PER EXAM. So once I get this Step 2-CE done my life gets to go forward again

I recommend COMQUEST as well.

Also you might want to do the updated COMBANK because there might be changes from the time of your first subscription that mirror content of the current exam.

COMBANK updates their question bank? Is it more current than COMQUEST?