Multiple COMLEX 2CE attempts

Discussion in 'Step II' started by FilipinaDoc, Aug 6, 2011.

1. FilipinaDoc

Medical Student
    Hi Everyone-

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster to these forums. I just wanted to reach out since I am at such a loss of what to do next to pass this exam.

I have had 2 previous attempts with the COMLEX 2 CE:

1st attempt: 360 ( 4/7/11)
    2nd attempt: 370 ( 7/6/11)

Both times I have gone through COMBANK/COMQUEST 2x, boards and wards and first aid. I am attempting to take it again for the 3rd time and I wanted to get opinions on what I should be doing to improve my score. I have been averaging 75%-85% on the questions banks. The last comsaes I took for my 2nd attempt were:

COMSAE A: 395
    COMSAE B: 350
    COMSAE C: 420

I have spent a lot of time doing questions banks both reviewing right and wrong answers and supplementing it with BW and FA. I just don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.

I am hoping by reaching out to those out there with this same excruciating experience I can get some ideas on how to approach this differently. This is the most humiliating thing to write but I am both humbled and crushed by this experience that I have gone past caring what people think and simply want to pass this thing already.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. americanpie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am sorry to hear that. I haven't taken it so can't help you. However, I've heard some upperclassmen recommend Step Up to Step 2 w or w/o DIT. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask how did you perform on COMLEX level 1. Good luck!!!

4. FilipinaDoc

Medical Student
    American pie-

thanks for the suggestions. I got a 450 on level 1. I am not the best test taker at all but an average student. Standardized test is just not my thing.

5. DocInProgress

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    FA Step 2 or Step up for step 2 + Savarese + COMQUEST + COMBANK = PASS

6. digitlnoize

digitlnoize Rock God
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm not a great test taker either. Did mediocre on step 1. Took COMSAE C in early July, and got a 565. Took the real thing on July 15 and feel REALLY, REALLY good about it.

What did I do? Kaplan videos...over and over and over. The newest ones, not the old pirated copies floating around. Watch them on double speed a zillion times. Conrad Fischer is my new best friend.

Also: Step 2 Secrets, Green OMM book (including the Q's and explanations in the back), UWorld (but not all of it), COMQUEST and COMBANK (mostly for OMM and Ethics/Legal...also not all of the bank, but ALL of OMM.)

Anyways, this is what I did. Studied for ~6 weeks. Heavy emphasis on OBGYN > Peds > IM/FM > Other.

I'll let you know for sure when I get my scores, but I feel really happy with my results. Before Kaplan I was getting steady 60-65% or so on UWorld Qs, with an occasional really terrible block. After a few weeks of Kaplan I was getting 75% or more regularly.

Anyways, good luck, I hope that helps.

7. FilipinaDoc

Medical Student
    Digitalnoize-

where did you get those kaplan videos. I think those will help me since its been a while that I have sat through any lectures. I am already graduated and done all my rotations. I took a break after having my baby which is probably why I am so out of touch with this thing. Videos sound like a good approach for me. I'm not sure if I should do anymore comquest/combank since I have done it so many times and at this point may have memorized the questions. I am thinking of buying the comquest/combank for step 3 just to have a new set of questions. what do you think ?

8. digitlnoize

digitlnoize Rock God
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Umm, legally from the Kaplan website. You could also try Google if you're a pirate.

9. Slevin

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just remember since you went through both COMQUEST and COMBANK twice many of the answers you are getting correct may just be from recognizing the question before. A better bet would be to go though the Qbanks and explain why the other answer choices are wrong

10. FilipinaDoc

Medical Student
    slevin-

I did that too on my 2nd pass on both question banks. I thought I was doing everything right but my end scores never reflect it. the only thing I can think of is to add crush and first aid and then maybe a little bit of u world to maybe address the knowledge deficit preventing me to get over the 370 hump. I'm not even sure by how many questions that I need to get right to get from 370 to 400.