Multiple COMLEX 2CE attempts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FilipinaDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster to these forums. I just wanted to reach out since I am at such a loss of what to do next to pass this exam.

I have had 2 previous attempts with the COMLEX 2 CE:

1st attempt: 360 ( 4/7/11)
2nd attempt: 370 ( 7/6/11)

Both times I have gone through COMBANK/COMQUEST 2x, boards and wards and first aid. I am attempting to take it again for the 3rd time and I wanted to get opinions on what I should be doing to improve my score. I have been averaging 75%-85% on the questions banks. The last comsaes I took for my 2nd attempt were:

COMSAE A: 395
COMSAE B: 350
COMSAE C: 420

I have spent a lot of time doing questions banks both reviewing right and wrong answers and supplementing it with BW and FA. I just don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.

I am hoping by reaching out to those out there with this same excruciating experience I can get some ideas on how to approach this differently. This is the most humiliating thing to write but I am both humbled and crushed by this experience that I have gone past caring what people think and simply want to pass this thing already.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone-

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster to these forums. I just wanted to reach out since I am at such a loss of what to do next to pass this exam.

Both times I have gone through COMBANK/COMQUEST 2x, boards and wards and first aid. I am attempting to take it again for the 3rd time and I wanted to get opinions on what I should be doing to improve my score. I have been averaging 75%-85% on the questions banks. The last comsaes I took for my 2nd attempt were:

I have spent a lot of time doing questions banks both reviewing right and wrong answers and supplementing it with BW and FA. I just don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.

I am hoping by reaching out to those out there with this same excruciating experience I can get some ideas on how to approach this differently. This is the most humiliating thing to write but I am both humbled and crushed by this experience that I have gone past caring what people think and simply want to pass this thing already.

I am sorry to hear that. I haven't taken it so can't help you. However, I've heard some upperclassmen recommend Step Up to Step 2 w or w/o DIT. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask how did you perform on COMLEX level 1. Good luck!!!

I am sorry to hear that. I haven't taken it so can't help you. However, I've heard some upperclassmen recommend Step Up to Step 2 w or w/o DIT. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask how did you perform on COMLEX level 1. Good luck!!!
American pie-

thanks for the suggestions. I got a 450 on level 1. I am not the best test taker at all but an average student. Standardized test is just not my thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone-

I'm not a great test taker either. Did mediocre on step 1. Took COMSAE C in early July, and got a 565. Took the real thing on July 15 and feel REALLY, REALLY good about it.

What did I do? Kaplan videos...over and over and over. The newest ones, not the old pirated copies floating around. Watch them on double speed a zillion times. Conrad Fischer is my new best friend.

Also: Step 2 Secrets, Green OMM book (including the Q's and explanations in the back), UWorld (but not all of it), COMQUEST and COMBANK (mostly for OMM and Ethics/Legal...also not all of the bank, but ALL of OMM.)

Anyways, this is what I did. Studied for ~6 weeks. Heavy emphasis on OBGYN > Peds > IM/FM > Other.

I'll let you know for sure when I get my scores, but I feel really happy with my results. Before Kaplan I was getting steady 60-65% or so on UWorld Qs, with an occasional really terrible block. After a few weeks of Kaplan I was getting 75% or more regularly.

Anyways, good luck, I hope that helps.

I'm not a great test taker either. Did mediocre on step 1. Took COMSAE C in early July, and got a 565. Took the real thing on July 15 and feel REALLY, REALLY good about it.

What did I do? Kaplan videos...over and over and over. The newest ones, not the old pirated copies floating around. Watch them on double speed a zillion times. Conrad Fischer is my new best friend.

Also: Step 2 Secrets, Green OMM book (including the Q's and explanations in the back), UWorld (but not all of it), COMQUEST and COMBANK (mostly for OMM and Ethics/Legal...also not all of the bank, but ALL of OMM.)

Anyways, this is what I did. Studied for ~6 weeks. Heavy emphasis on OBGYN > Peds > IM/FM > Other.

I'll let you know for sure when I get my scores, but I feel really happy with my results. Before Kaplan I was getting steady 60-65% or so on UWorld Qs, with an occasional really terrible block. After a few weeks of Kaplan I was getting 75% or more regularly.

Anyways, good luck, I hope that helps.
Digitalnoize-

where did you get those kaplan videos. I think those will help me since its been a while that I have sat through any lectures. I am already graduated and done all my rotations. I took a break after having my baby which is probably why I am so out of touch with this thing. Videos sound like a good approach for me. I'm not sure if I should do anymore comquest/combank since I have done it so many times and at this point may have memorized the questions. I am thinking of buying the comquest/combank for step 3 just to have a new set of questions. what do you think ?

Just remember since you went through both COMQUEST and COMBANK twice many of the answers you are getting correct may just be from recognizing the question before. A better bet would be to go though the Qbanks and explain why the other answer choices are wrong

Just remember since you went through both COMQUEST and COMBANK twice many of the answers you are getting correct may just be from recognizing the question before. A better bet would be to go though the Qbanks and explain why the other answer choices are wrong
slevin-

I did that too on my 2nd pass on both question banks. I thought I was doing everything right but my end scores never reflect it. the only thing I can think of is to add crush and first aid and then maybe a little bit of u world to maybe address the knowledge deficit preventing me to get over the 370 hump. I'm not even sure by how many questions that I need to get right to get from 370 to 400.